Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The argument is that an onboard chargers being smaller and potentially more cheaply made, is more prone to failure than a dedicated external one. I prefer to use and external device, but if one is not available I have no qualms charging internally.
What may be more of an issue is charging anything unattended especially overnight. The chances of a cell phone or an 18650 causing a fire hazard are low, but the consequences if they did especially if you are asleep puts the fear into me and I never do it. Like any kind of safety regimen, it's a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm in agreement with sonic bomb. We tend to read of more reports of batteries or battery devices going up in flames with onboard chargers than we do of batteries in dedicated external chargers going up in flames. For example: iStick 50watt exploded

E-Cigarette Explosions: Comprehensive List
"There have been 50 major incidents this year (2016) alone and that's just the ones which make the news. They also go on to say...
"It is interesting to note that the nature of e-cigarette explosions has changed over the years. The FEMA document cited above suggests that approximately 80 percent of e-cigarette explosions happen during charging."

Why is this so? Possibly because some manufacturers look for ways to make a cheaper mod, and may skimp on the quality of using less expensive onboard chargers. I'd personally rather be able to pick the external charger I want to use for my batteries, rather than assume that the mod manufacturer is going to do the right thing.

USB charging typically takes longer to charge batteries than doing so in a dedicated battery charger.

I also believe that the USB charging port on most battery devices is a weak link. These ports and their connectors aren't generally constructed for daily wear and tear of repeated use. Just my :2c:

Last edited:

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    While to this day eLeaf claims that the majority (if not ALL) the issues with the iStick50 were with clones of the device, most major brands seem to be fairly safe.

The statistics above about charging don't go into detail about the type or brand of devices however the cheaper the knock-off, (or complete off no-name brand) the more likely that the EXACT charger and/or cord is REQUIRED to charge their devices even remotely safely. Hence the old devices that were charged via the 510 could not be mixed and matched.

I think it is rather safe to assume that most 'on board charging' is at a lower rate and lower end voltage than a dedicated charger for these very reasons - they need to be conservative with their charging as they don't know WHAT quality battery the consumer has installed.

Generally, if there is on-board-charging available I'll use it. Much like others I have a extra USB cord right next to where I charge my cell phone overnight.

Reactions: Cheallaigh

stormjib

ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2014
    California
    I only use external chargers, but I have read that internal ones generally will not charge your batteries fully, and as a result of that not only do you get less usage out of a charged battery but you also lessen the overall lifespan of the battery. Given that it takes under twenty seconds to remove or replace a battery, I don't know why you'd want to do onboard charging.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    I only use external chargers, but I have read that internal ones generally will not charge your batteries fully, and as a result of that not only do you get less usage out of a charged battery but you also lessen the overall lifespan of the battery. Given that it takes under twenty seconds to remove or replace a battery, I don't know why you'd want to do onboard charging.
    Not fully charging the battery means that one gets more cycles out of it.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Falco78

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 29, 2014
    United States
    Not fully charging the battery means that one gets more cycles out of it.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
    Is this the case? If so I will do partial internal charges to extend battery life span

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    The majority of my devices don't even have a usb port so I'm just used to charging externally. With that said however, my current favorite mods do have usb charging available. I won't use it because I fear the stress to the mod itself could very well affect the life of the mod. I guess it depends, to some extent, on how important your mods are to you. Everthing that I actually use is almost irreplaceable being long out of production. Took me almost 6 months to gather 3 copies of my current favorite and there will never be a usb cord plugged into any of them. If your devices are precious to you just weigh the risk compared to the convenience. If you see your mods as a dime a dozen type things just go with the convenience factor.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 26, 2016
    Shanghai
    I've done it when I first started vaping, I've done it while traveling, but now-a-days I just pack a 4 slot Xtar charger with me wherever I go. Gives a better peace of mind IMHO.

With charging on the mod, you're trusting the mod maker to provide a lasting OB charger

With charging with an external charging you're trusting the charger manufacturer.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 18, 2012
    Ontario
    Most manufacturers do recommend externally because they know the micro usb is a weak link and will fail eventually.
    My IPV D2 used a barrel jack type connection, it is MUCH more solid. People poo pooed it because they couldn't use a micro usb cord.

The Provari Radius/Provape actually recommend using the on board charger and only removing the battery when it needs replacing at it's end of life.
    The on board charger actually does a better job of charging than does my external D2 charger, I get more runtime on a charge using the on board. Cheers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread