iJoy 40A 4200mAh 26650 Bench Test Results...overrated but a great 30A battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These cells were purchased for the purposes of testing by me. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This iJoy cell's 40A rating is exaggerated. This is incredibly frustrating because it's the first 30A 26650 I've ever tested and no exaggeration was needed! Why the hell do companies like iJoy still think they need to do this to sell batteries?

This is the first 26650 I've tested that acts like an 18650. Its internal resistance is lower than many of the good 18650's and it held its voltage well. At 30A/100W pulsed it ran approximately 75% longer, and 0.15V-0.20V higher, than the Basen and Brillipower 4500mAh cells down to 3.2V. It doesn't match the appearance of any other 26650 I have so I don't know where this cell came from.

The 26650 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulse-Current Test Results
    image.png image.png

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached about 4100mAh. This is good performance for a 4200mAh cell at 10A so I am rating this cell at 4200mAh.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 52°C. This is way below the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR) and is an indication that we are operating way below its true rating.
    • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 59°C. This is still way below the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating way below its true rating.
    • At 25A continuous the temperature rose to 69°C. This is still below the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating below its true rating.
    • At 30A continuous the temperature rose to 77°C. This is just below the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating at its true rating.
    • At 35A continuous the temperature rose to 83°C. This is above the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating at above its true rating. The voltage is sagging a lot.
    • At 40A continuous the temperature rose to 85°C. This is above the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR and is an indication that we are operating at above its true rating. The voltage is sagging a huge amount.
    • I am setting a CDR of 30A for this cell. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 30A continuous.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350/18500 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

TruckinVaper

Sep 22, 2016
    Hey Mooch

First off thanks so much for all the work you put in testing batteries for us. Oh and your appearance with Dean the vaping biker was a fantastic watch.

I'm seriously interested in getting my hands on a pair of these but struggling to find them at any trusted vendors. Any pointers to your source please?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hey Mooch

First off thanks so much for all the work you put in testing batteries for us. Oh and your appearance with Dean the vaping biker was a fantastic watch.

I'm seriously interested in getting my hands on a pair of these but struggling to find them at any trusted vendors. Any pointers to your source please?

The only places that seem to carry it so far are iJoy, efun, and fasttech.

Daaaaavid

Nov 19, 2016
    My came with my mod from Ijoy.com they also just sell the battery. Or maybe vapesource.com also.

Which vape mod did you get, Super Flex?
    All their mods that I've seen say that they don't come with the battery.

I'm about to get a "ijoy solo plus 85W" and can't seem to find a good 26650 battery source.

Even on ijoy's website I can't order theirs because it wants me to "select a color option" - of which there is none..

Their pricing (at 22$ a pop) is a different story... But I'm desperate enough by now that I'd buy there, if only I could...

Super Flex

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 25, 2015
    Tuscaloosa al
    Which mod did you get, Super Flex?

I'm about to get a "ijoy solo plus 85W" and can't seem to find a good 26650 battery source.

Even on ijoy's website I can't order theirs because it wants me to "select a color option" - of which there is none..

Their pricing (at 22$ a pop) is a different story... But I'm desperate enough by now that I'd buy there, if only I could...

I purchased the Ijoy/Limitless Lux 215, the the package at that time included two 26650's. I did a no no at the time I ordered the faux wood sleeve from a vape shop doing business on eBay. I did authenticate on Ijoy's website.

Reactions: stols001

showman

Verified Member
    Dec 1, 2012
    Brooklyn

showman

Verified Member
    Dec 1, 2012
    Brooklyn
    Which mod did you get, Super Flex?

If you need right now they seem to be available at heavengifts for $20. They are also available for pre-order at vapesourcing.com for $7. These were the sources suggested directly by iJoy. There's also fasttech but iJoy didn't mention them, so who knows what's there.

showman

Verified Member
    Dec 1, 2012
    Brooklyn
    Hey Mooch

I'd try to pre-order from vapesourcing, they seem to have the only reasonable prices and were pointed out to me by iJoy.

$7/per battery seems like a good deal on these; I'm going to try to figure out how to place an order on this website myself.

Here's the link, again: [Pre-sell] IJOY 26650 BATTERY(40A 4200mAh) (1pc)

• Useful

showman

Verified Member
    Dec 1, 2012
    Brooklyn
    The only places that seem to carry it so far are iJoy, efun, and fasttech.

Two more vendors: heavensgifts, and vaporsource.

Also, I don't know that iJoy sells the batteries directly; when I asked, they told me they had "website problems" and told me to try one of those two sites.

showman

Verified Member
    Dec 1, 2012
    Brooklyn
    Mooch, if you know, how would this battery compare to a top performing 18650 battery? I am thinking of the Sony VTC5A here, which per our other discussions, seems to be the top all-around 18650 performer, or perhaps the LG HB6 pink, which seems to have a higher CDR.

A comparison between the best 18650 and best 26660 bateries would be useful for those who are comparing between two similarly specced 18650/26660 mods. I have in mind the Dicodes Dani Box vs the Dicodes #6, both of which use the same chip and are differentiated by the presence of an 26660 battery space in the 6, against the 18650 in the Dani Box. For reference, both mods from 12 amps-20 amps, and run up to 60 Watts.

Thanks for any insight you can provide on comparing these batteries.

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Mooch, if you know, how would this battery compare to a top performing 18650 battery? I am thinking of the Sony VTC5A here, which per our other discussions, seems to be the top all-around 18650 performer, or perhaps the LG HB6 pink, which seems to have a higher CDR.

A comparison between the best 18650 and best 26660 bateries would be useful for those who are comparing between two similarly specced 18650/26660 mods. I have in mind the Dicodes Dani Box vs the Dicodes #6, both of which use the same chip and are differentiated by the presence of an 26660 battery space in the 6, against the 18650 in the Dani Box. For reference, both mods from 12 amps-20 amps, and run up to 60 Watts.

Thanks for any insight you can provide on comparing these batteries.

I haven't directly compared this 26650 against any 18650 battery but you could pick one of the continuous and/or pulsed discharge curves and do the comparison by checking the capacity or run time to, let's say, 3.2V for both.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread