Please Guide me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avinash Chomal

Oct 4, 2016
Hello everyone,
Just a little background about my problem. I have convinced my dad to try vaping as he has been smoking cigarettes for about 30 years or so and about 10 to 12 cigarettes a day.
So i went looking for vape pens or devices and got so much confused it just overwhelmed me.

If you guys can please point me in the right direction as how to get started, which device is best for a smoker like him? He wants a mouth to lung hit, so which will be best in this category?

If you guys point me to a vaping device do tell me how much it will last and what special needs are to be taken care to get the best experience ( read about getting dry hit or burnt taste)?
How much mg nicotine potency liquid should I buy( sorry if i am wrong with that slang)?

I am also concerned as because if i choose something which gives him a bad start maybe he will not accept vaping.

Please help me to choose best vape device so I can help him off the cigg.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Going to a reputable vape shop would be ideal, but you and your father should be educated with some basic information before you go to avoid information overload when you finally visit one.

E-cigs or vaporizers (including "mods") are relatively simple devices, but finding the "right" one may take some trial and error. Every vaper has specific preferences, whether they are aware of them or not. Many of us have gone through several setups before we found what eventually became our "sweet spot".

I'll first suggest to avoid the ciga-like (cigarette size battery devices). A couple of eGo-style batteries and an Aspire Nautilus Mini, or an iStick mod with an Aspire Nautilus Mini, would be my recommendation for your father. (see first link below)

A half-a-pack smoker should probably start out with 12mg nicotine e-liquids. There are tobacco flavors available, but in all honesty you won't find an e-liquid flavor that will taste like a cigarette. I recommend finding a vape shop which allows customers to try flavors before you buy to find a candy, fruit, or desert flavor that your father might like. Choosing a flavor that you like is probably more important than the gear you end up with, because if you don't like the flavor you won't use it.

This website, as well as using the search feature on YouTube, are excellent resources to learn about specific battery devices and juice delivery attachments. Practically every piece of gear available has a tutorial and review available on YouTube.

I wrote a blog designed to help new vapers find their first beginner setup. Hopefully this information will help.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper.
Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices
  • A picture dictionary for beginners with descriptions of clearomizers, nano's, drip atomizers, bottom feeding mods, cartomizers, cartotanks, and RBA's (rebuildable atomizers). Includes video demos/reviews of all devices.
Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
  • From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.

Last edited:

Avinash Chomal

Oct 4, 2016
Thanks for your valuable suggestions.
I was thinking of buying Nautilus Mini + MVP3.0
would these give mouth to lung hit like cigg?
should i buy few extra coils?
The question i have for these setups is are they easy to carry? like can he take it to his office in his pocked without the fear of spillage?

If spillage can occur what you guys think of "Innokin Endura T22 starter kit" or "eGo AIO starter kit" as both of these have mouth to lung hit like smoking a cigg.?

Or you guys can recommend something else?

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Of the set-ups you've mentioned above I think the first one
(the Nautilus/MVP) would serve him best.

The other 2 are fine too but the Nautilus set-up is tried and true and imo should last him longer than the other 2.

If the MVP seems too large an Istick 20, 30 or 40 are great smaller form factor battery options. Cheers and GL.

Reactions: Cheallaigh

hiclass

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
I was a 25-years smoker (about 1 pack plus Marlboro light a day) before I totally quit it and becoming a vaper. Come to recall it, my success story is based on 2 main factors:

1. I have never thought of quiting smoking intialliy. I just want to find an alternative to continue this habit less painfully or harmfully - the tax rate in cig in my country was raised nearly 80% (overnight) at one point, further more as I am getting older I also start to worry about my health. This "finding an alternative" physco (who knows vaping could be more satisfactory?) make it easier for me to try vaping. As a result I took the initialtive to visit a vape shop on my own. No one pushes me for that nor encourages me to do so.

2. I was so lucky that I came across my favorite e-juice (as of this point of writing, it still is my daily and primary e-juice) in the very first introduction of vaping at a vape shop. Yes, my first puff of vapor come from the right e-juice. According to few of failure cases (happen to my smoking friends), they all are due to wrong e-juice at the beginning. It all depends on what kind of cig your father is on, 2 main streams:
a) mint/menthol cig or
b) cig without mint nor menthol.
For a) type of smoker, fruit type of juice probably has higher success rate because most of fruit juice in the market is mint or methol in favor.
For b) type of smoker, try tobecco taste or creamy type of e-juice.

My advice on vaping device:
Let him try teh very first tank of juice on a RBA tank, i.e. yes, someone has to build him the first coil and wick it.
Don't try the very easy solution at the beginning like tank work on OCC (definitely less favor and trust me, nothing good comes easily). If the initial try on vaping favor is not taste good nor acceptable, don't expect a smoker to quit.

Avinash Chomal

Oct 4, 2016
I was a 25-years smoker (about 1 pack plus Marlboro light a day) before I totally quit it and becoming a vaper. Come to recall it, my success story is based on 2 main factors:

1. I have never thought of quiting smoking intialliy. I just want to find an alternative to continue this habit less painfully or harmfully - the tax rate in cig in my country was raised nearly 80% (overnight) at one point, further more as I am getting older I also start to worry about my health. This "finding an alternative" physco (who knows vaping could be more satisfactory?) make it easier for me to try vaping. As a result I took the initialtive to visit a vape shop on my own. No one pushes me for that nor encourages me to do so.

2. I was so lucky that I came across my favorite e-juice (as of this point of writing, it still is my daily and primary e-juice) in the very first introduction of vaping at a vape shop. Yes, my first puff of vapor come from the right e-juice. According to few of failure cases (happen to my smoking friends), they all are due to wrong e-juice at the beginning. It all depends on what kind of cig your father is on, 2 main streams:
a) mint/menthol cig or
b) cig without mint nor menthol.
For a) type of smoker, fruit type of juice probably has higher success rate because most of fruit juice in the market is mint or methol in favor.
For b) type of smoker, try tobecco taste or creamy type of e-juice.

My advice on vaping device:
Let him try teh very first tank of juice on a RBA tank, i.e. yes, someone has to build him the first coil and wick it.
Don't try the very easy solution at the beginning like tank work on OCC (definitely less favor and trust me, nothing good comes easily). If the initial try on vaping favor is not taste good nor acceptable, don't expect a smoker to quit.

Awesome to hear that you moved to vaping. Mainly the thing is in India these tanks are not easily avialable and that to from a credible source that is why i opted for ego AIO. I have a friend who will be visiting me from the US, I will ask him to bring these from there till then I hope he like the Ego AIO.

Reactions: Hitmetwice

wallacecarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Huntsville, Alabama
I've been out of vaping for about a year and now have returned. The hardware is all new to me and I have no idea where to begin. I was using a 30w max mod with RSST tanks and wire mesh wicks 26 g kanthal at about 15 watts and .8 to 1 ohm. I want to try some of the new tanks on my old mod and would like some suggestions as to some of the new tanks I should consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread