Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
You have received lots of good advice. I just want to add a few general thoughts for you to consider.

First, there's no need to spend your entire budget at one time to get a setup that works for you. In truth, if vaping does work out for you, you will quickly want at least one or two additional mods and tanks to serve as backups, so if something breaks, you're not forced to consider smoking again while you get something fixed/replaced.

Second, the juice you choose is probably more important than any vape gear you buy. It has to meet three criteria. One, be flavorful enough that you'll enjoy vaping it. Everybody's taste is different, and do not be surprised or discouraged if you buy something, even if someone said it was great, and you hate it. Buy several small sample bottles to start out to see what you like and dislike. That, or find a store that lets you sample before buying. Two, it has enough nic in it to satisfy your craving. the more you smoke the more you'll need. I started at 24 mg and only lowered to 12 mg after several months. Three, a juice suitable to your setup. If you buy a lower power, mouth to lung setup, which is a great way to start out off of cigs, you'll need a high nic solution, as well as higher PG in it for better throat hit to mimic a cigarette a bit better.

Finally, if you are lucky enough to get a good working system (mod, tank, juice, battery and whatnot) right off the bat, great. If not, do not give up, we're all different with different expectations and needs. All this is another reason not to invest a great deal right at the beginning while still figuring out your needs. Believe me, once you start and have something that works, you'll find lots of ways to spend that remaining money on great vape stuff.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
The IPV 400 takes 2 18650 batteries, I throw it on the charger when I'm going to sleep and start using it as soon as I wake up and it easily gets me through the entire day.
Please don't sleep while batteries are charging. Better to be able to keep an eye on them. :)

slair76116

Oct 5, 2016
Ok guys this is what I've decided to go with as of now, please let me know if I'm making any mistakes;

Box iStick 100W TC Contrôle Température De Eleaf = 46 Euro
Aspire Nautilus X = 19 Euro
Aspire Nautilus rep coil X 1.5Ohm x 5 = 17 Euro
Panasonic NCR18650B x2 = 18 euro
XTAR VC4 Li-ion/Ni-MH Chargeur Premium = 23 Euro
Total = 123 Euro = US $135 (with out the E- juice )
All prices from Amazon.fr

I'll go to the local store to select the liquid

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
The batteries are only 10 amp.
Ditch them and get some good 20 amp cells.
Be sure to get authentic 20 amp cells.

You actually don't need 20 amp cells with that set-up (Nautilus X) but if you ever want to go near half the watts that the istick can handle you'll need more than a 10 amp battery in there.
image-jpeg.605775

JMC17

Sep 5, 2016
Canada, Quebec
I suggest getting 4x batteries, it might not be essential but you're getting the same mod that I have and I charge one set of batteries while the other is used.

I personally went for :
LG 18650 HG2 Battery 3000mAh - 20A x2 (Brown wrap)
Samsung INR 18650 - 2500 mAh Hybrid Battery - Flat Top x2 (Green wrap)

and the charger:
Nitecore D4 Digicharger - Universal Digital Battery Charger

The batteries takes about 4 hours to charge, it took about 7 hours on the first charge.
The D4 might be overkill, I really only recharge 2 batteries at once.

well if you don't want clouds.. there's this...
Smokebuddy Junior Personal Air Filter Black - 8 Points

I believe we used to do the same thing a long time ago, using an empty toilet paper roll (the cardboard middle) and putting fabric softener sheets in that cardboard tube.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm backing everyone up here. I have a D4 charger which I like, but I've also read lots of good opinions on the Xtar. Personally, I would stay with a 4 battery charger as you might get a mod that needs 3 batteries down the road, and it's wasteful to replace a 2 cell with a 4 cell charger.

I would definitely pass on those Panasonic batteries. A true 20A battery is appropriate for use. This is the latest recommended battery list from Mooch, our battery guru who fully tests these things.
Battery Chart.jpeg

slair76116

Oct 5, 2016
Hey thanks guys I took your advice and will go with the lg hg2 3000mah 20a brown batteries.

I'm a bit confused on the charger now.

Price non issue
Nitecore D4 Digicharge
vs xtar vc4
Vs opus bt 3100

I'm not concerned about look of the device I'd like the best safest charge for my battery I read with 4 bats that the nite core charges at .375 vs star .5 and that the opus has a 2amp charge which is not good or something like that. A bit too much to digest in a short period.

Thanks again. Gotta say I've read a huge amount just to get where I am now. Given that I stumbled on vaping maybe a week ago.

All of you have been very kind to reply to probably noob questions of mine, sincerely thank you to all.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
No idea about the opus (never heard of it but that doesn't make it bad in any way, might simply be marketed in Europe only), but the Nitecore vs. Xtar is a coin toss. Both are excellent. The Xtar will recharge the batteries a bit faster when charging 3 or 4 batteries. On the Nitecore, 1 or 2 batteries charged at the same time will be at 750 mA instead of 375 mA. Me? Whichever is cheaper and/or more readily available.

JMC17

Sep 5, 2016
Canada, Quebec
Thanks again. Gotta say I've read a huge amount just to get where I am now. Given that I stumbled on vaping maybe a week ago.

All of you have been very kind to reply to probably noob questions of mine, sincerely thank you to all.

You asked perfectly reasonable questions that will have saved you both money and time.
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say it was a pleasure to help you out.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
I have the xtar, no complaints, screen is readable, it does alternate bays(common with most chargers). basically it functions as required... one thing?

I know you're in france right now... but what is your native country? do you use the 210 plug or the 120 plug normally?

the reason I ask, is getting the right plug for where you're going to use it most... you don't have a loc listed, and most don't think about the difference between the euro and north American plugs till too late.

slair76116

Oct 5, 2016
I'm Sri Lankan but work and live in the Uae all of these places use 220v. The plug itself is a bit different but that's a non issue I can easily use a travel adaptor. And most of my plugs at home are multi use they will take in European conects as well.

I will look at xtar and nitecore YouTube vids and decide on one, I'll stay away from the opus as there is less information.

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
With that budget you got a lot of wiggle room.

I would suggest a decent mod.... Variable wattage.... Variable voltage....

And 4-6x18650 (Have some sets as back up).... and a decent charger.... that should put you back about 120$ if you know where to go. then you should get a Tank.... and a few RDAs. those will keep you busy for quite a while.

Reactions: Tonee N
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread