Vape to quit smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halphes

Oct 13, 2016
Hi All,

firstly I am new in here and I am staying in Singapore.

I have been a smoker for more than 20 years, tried many times to quit but to no avail. I have read of many who have managed to quit thorough vaping and I am very keen to try it out. Any success stories to share?

I am also wondering for those whom have managed to ween off analog thru vaping, are you now hooked on vape? I.e An addiction after another?

Your kindly advice will be much appreciated!

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Yeah it's just replacing one addiction with a safer addiction. Even with 0mg the habit is still addictive. In the USA many are saying the FDA are forcing them to go back to smoking in the near future so it didn't help them quit smoking. Without an ecig option I'd like to think I wouldn't go back to smoking but I probably would because I'm still addicted to the sensation of smoking although the withdraw wouldn't be as bad it would still be there. Like biting your nails or any other habit.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
some people quit smoking via vaping, some cut back via vaping... either is better than smoking or smoking too much. vaping can be a fun hobby, there are aspects to it that make it pleasurable beyond the quitting.. flavours, making clouds, building coils etc. so yes It can be trading a poor habit for a safer cleaner habit.. others have quit smoking, gotten down to 0 nic and the quit vaping as well.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I took up vaping as a healthier alternative to smoking. Five years tobacco-free, I still stand by that conviction. It was never my intent to ever stop vaping.

I loved smoking. I smoked one ppd for over 35 years. As much as I loved to smoke, I was fully aware that it was affecting my health. For over 10 of those final 35 years smoking I tried to quit using the nicotine gum & patches, prescription aids, and hypnosis. They all failed miserably.

Out of curiousity, I purchased a disposable e-cigarette at my local convenience store while buying my daily pack of smokes. It wasn't that great, but it wasn't all that bad either; I saw some potential and figured there must be something "similar but better" available. I did research and found this forum. I purchased my first rechargable starter kit.

Within one week of dual use (smoking and vaping), I managed to put away the cigarettes completely and haven't missed them a bit. I no longer cough up a lung every morning, no longer get bouts of bronchitis, no longer get short of breath climbing a flight of steps. My home, car, or me no longer stink of ashtray.

I've been smoke-free for five years. I've cut my e-liquid nic from 18mg down to 3mg. I still like a little bit of nic in my vape, but if need be I imagine I could go nicotine-free at this point. My habit is undoubtedly more behavioral than a physical dependence upon nicotine. Vaping is my only vice at 62 years of age, and I have no plans to ever quit. I enjoy it more than I ever did smoking, and that's saying something.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who have stopped vaping once they stopped smoking, but I doubt you'll find many of those still hanging around a vaping forum.

Last edited:

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
I smoked 20 to 40 cigarettes a day for 42 years. I had tried all of the "officially approved" methods including the patch, gum, buproprion, lozenges and Chantix (now there is a dangerous product) but I never quit wanting to smoke, and I always started up again as soon as I was under stress. This time I haven’t wanted to smoke again, despite several very stressful events in my life.

My doctors are happy about this. I am breathing better than I have in decades. I am also a lot safer, since I have nerve damage that makes it hard to hold onto things, and dropping my personal vaporizer won’t start a fire.

I just passed 3 years of vaping, and I have no intention of quitting at this point. I have lately realized that I am gradually vaping less, but that hasn't been planned at all.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Yeah my story is the same except I started in Feb and down to 2mg. Once my DIY nicotine is gone I don't plan on buying more or quitting. I do still cough though, just not as much or as bad. I'd say try it if nothing else works, it's still not healthy by a long shot though.

Halphes

Oct 13, 2016
Yeah my story is the same except I started in Feb and down to 2mg. Once my DIY nicotine is gone I don't plan on buying more or quitting. I do still cough though, just not as much or as bad. I'd say try it if nothing else works, it's still not healthy by a long shot though.

Thanks so much for your advice!

Oh yes I think I am having copd. Now I need to figure out how to get some lol...

Reactions: Cheallaigh

Halphes

Oct 13, 2016
I smoked 20 to 40 cigarettes a day for 42 years. I had tried all of the "officially approved" methods including the patch, gum, buproprion, lozenges and Chantix (now there is a dangerous product) but I never quit wanting to smoke, and I always started up again as soon as I was under stress. This time I haven’t wanted to smoke again, despite several very stressful events in my life.

My doctors are happy about this. I am breathing better than I have in decades. I am also a lot safer, since I have nerve damage that makes it hard to hold onto things, and dropping my personal vaporizer won’t start a fire.

I just passed 3 years of vaping, and I have no intention of quitting at this point. I have lately realized that I am gradually vaping less, but that hasn't been planned at all.
Thanks a great success story there!

Halphes

Oct 13, 2016
I took up vaping as a healthier alternative to smoking. Five years tobacco-free, I still stand by that conviction. It was never my intent to ever stop vaping.

I loved smoking. I smoked one ppd for over 35 years. As much as I loved to smoke, I was fully aware that it was affecting my health. For over 10 of those final 35 years smoking I tried to quit using the nicotine gum & patches, prescription aids, and hypnosis. They all failed miserably.

Out of curiousity, I purchased a disposable e-cigarette at my local convenience store while buying my daily pack of smokes. It wasn't that great, but it wasn't all that bad either; I saw some potential and figured there must be something "similar but better" available. I did research and found this forum. I purchased my first rechargable starter kit.

Within one week of dual use (smoking and vaping), I managed to put away the cigarettes completely and haven't missed them a bit. I no longer cough up a lung every morning, no longer get bouts of bronchitis, no longer get short of breath climbing a flight of steps. My home, car, or me no longer stink of ashtray.

I've been smoke-free for five years. I've cut my e-liquid nic from 18mg down to 3mg. I still like a little bit of nic in my vape, but if need be I imagine I could go nicotine-free at this point. My habit is undoubtedly more behavioral than a physical dependence upon nicotine. Vaping is my only vice at 62 years of age, and I have no plans to ever quit. I enjoy it more than I ever did smoking, and that's saying something.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who have stopped vaping once they stopped smoking, but I doubt you'll find many of those still hanging around a vaping forum.
Sounds good definitely gonna try vaping soon!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I am also wondering for those whom have managed to ween off analog thru vaping, are you now hooked on vape? I.e An addiction after another?
Welcome and glad you joined.
At zero nicotine, I can say I could quit tomorrow knowing I'm not addicted to nicotine. I too enjoy the taste and sensation of vaping and would miss it if I had to quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread