The Genesis Buiders' Nuances & Rationales Collective

Status
Not open for further replies.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
If you're having trouble with the coil shorting on the mesh - try the following:
After flaming the coiled mesh and anodizing the wire, wet the mesh with a drop of water, roll a SINGLE layer of thin tissue paper around it then coil the wire in the usual fashion taking care not to disrupt the tissue paper too much. Test fire the setup and dry burn until the tissue paper has burnt away. Dunk in water to rinse the residue off - you can use a soft brush to clean it. Dry burn again and you're good to go.

Reactions: Taff Evans

Vaya

ECF Veteran
If you're having trouble with the coil shorting on the mesh - try the following:
After flaming the coiled mesh and anodizing the wire, wet the mesh with a drop of water, roll a SINGLE layer of thin tissue paper around it then coil the wire in the usual fashion taking care not to disrupt the tissue paper too much. Test fire the setup and dry burn until the tissue paper has burnt away. Dunk in water to rinse the residue off - you can use a soft brush to clean it. Dry burn again and you're good to go.

Interesting... I'm assuming this is meant to serve the same function as wrapping the coil in ekowool, etc, to prevent the wire making direct contact with the wick?

Seems a bit overkill for me these days, but certainly may have been of help when just beginning to work with mesh. I remember my first couple mesh atties... holy sh*t. I sucked.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
Interesting... I'm assuming this is meant to serve the same function as wrapping the coil in ekowool, etc, to prevent the wire making direct contact with the wick?

Seems a bit overkill for me these days, but certainly may have been of help when just beginning to work with mesh. I remember my first couple mesh atties... holy sh*t. I sucked.

:lol: I hear you Vaya. I was fortunate enough to be there when Raidy introduced the original Genesis to us all. Bless his soul!! :)

Reactions: Vaya

GrowthCurve

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Rust Belt
My Big Fat Greek Vape!!!!
IMG_4390.JPG
IMG_4385.JPG

GrowthCurve

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Rust Belt
Those DID's are superb aren't they? Another good looking coil GC..and did i see a matching tank on there!! nice one..I still use my Did regularly and thoroughly enjoy it. Its a good smooth vape as well.. Definitely will stay in my rotation...
I picked up a few glass tanks from MM awhile back, red green and blue. Wish i had snagged a yellow one!!
Got clear tanks and frosted from Bedazzled. I have broken a couple. I have found that i really enjoy seeing my juice. But this makes the DiD a house atty only--if i ever take them out and about again, i will rock the steel tanks.
With a 3 wind 26g kan 3.5mm bit--0.4-0.5Ω i am glad for the 5/64 airholes--but i wish i had left them smaller. Still a great vape. As my builds have gotten better over the years, i not only don't need to tilt--i avoid tilting all together--as i wind up with overwicking and a 'slow cooker' situation. The cable build for me was soggy--and that was at 0.8Ω.
Αlways wondered how you could build a DiD with 32g kan?
They actually made the DiD for the Provari. The Poldiacs came along later. Maybe using the 32g at a higher voltage?? So many questions

Reactions: Taff Evans

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Bedazzled is a great outfit. The lady who runs is is excellent and so helpful. Bought a spare tank for the did from her, fast service and not a bad price as well.
I run the standard air hole on my DID, as i don't really like an airy draw at all. too used to vaping on a 1mm airhole i suppose!
I run mine with 2 mm SS rope and 4 wraps of 325 at the top, and , if i remember rightly, a 28 gauge coil at 0.64, as normal for my rope builds, and don't have any problem with that at all..To be honest the coil is a little low for me, i prefer my coils to be 1.0 or a little higher, so may re-do it later (if i remember!) still a good vape though, i like it a lot.
I do find myself now though normally reaching for either the Rocket R or the In'AX MKIII, both superb vapes. The MKIII is a smoother vape than the Rocket R is with its tiny chamber. The vape from that is just more, more throat hit and a thicker vape that i don't like all the time, as it gets too much sometimes for me, whereas the MKIII is less dense, really smooth, great flavour, and has become my most of the day vape now.
Strange isn't it, how we go from one atty to another....always looking for a better vape! I find now that the MK2R In'Ax is not used a whole lot,, same as the nextgen and nextiny, still used occasionally, but the vape from these isn't as good as the Rocket R and the MkIII, at least not for me so i tend to stick to them two most of the time.

Reactions: GrowthCurve

GrowthCurve

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Rust Belt
I had to stop at Home Depot today to pick up a mattaxe. I thought that i would shop for metric stainless steel jam nuts to replace the crummy nuts that some of the AgT titanium gennys came with.
I hit Pay Dirt!!!
These AgTs are perfect small-capacity attys to try out new juice flavours. I am vaping Paramour, from the Njoy Artist Collection. Kinda 'dessert-y', kinda like trying out my Dad's pipe as a kid. Not an all day vape, but this juice is nice.
Once i figured out a build on this little wick--5 winds of 30g kan on 23 or 24 mm 400 mesh-at 1.0-1.1Ω--i found that these little gennys vape like champs, and they wick just fine! If the coil seems too hot at the top, i slide the wick back out, put the bit back in to straighten out the coil--roll the wick in reverse to make it fatter, then replace it.
I may mess around with a DiD with 28g kan--3 winds on a STRAW fat wick to see where that takes me. But the 0.5Ω is not warm at all. But fat wicks are what i am going to put in the DiD from now on.
I am glad that you like that Rocket. I like to rotate attys as well.
And i am learning to leave my airholes alone
IMG_4402.JPG
IMG_4394.JPG

Vaya

ECF Veteran
:lol: I hear you Vaya. I was fortunate enough to be there when Raidy introduced the original Genesis to us all. Bless his soul!! :)

Haha wow, definitely the biggest impact ECF has, and will have, on my vaping life. What an incredible series of posts, those.... Have them all archived in case they were ever pruned for any horrible reason!!!

Trying to dig back in the canals of my mind... but didn't he obtain the original mesh from model train parts? I wonder what # mesh it was... I'm fairly certain he never specified. Not that we knew to inquire about such a thing back in those days... mesh was mesh was mesh :thumbs:

@GrowthCurve regarding 32 gauge kanthal genny builds....
32 was definitely like THE standard for earlier genesis builds. I remember using it... I think I still have a roll of it somewhere! I believe it has a resistance of 1.11ohms/inch. Therefore, I would typically never use more than a 4/3 wrap of 32g on my genesis builds, which would frequently yield something to the effect of 1.2-1.4ohms. My recollection on the exact resistance produced by this type of build is a little hazy... but you get the general idea.

The biggest issue with 32g and mechs was that you had to pulse the coil with the brief speed of a hummingbird's wings, at least at the outset, or else that coil was going to POP.

I like to think of any given wire as a highway, and the electricity running through it as the vehicle traffic. The thinner the road, the less traffic can pass through it at once without causing a traffic jam (and thus destruction of the coil). But 32g could really yield some incredible flavor, because it would restrict the temperature fluctuation on the wick and in the chamber moreso than the free range granted by thicker coils.

If you're interested in using 32g for the benefits I've described, but are having trouble with hot spots and popped coils, something I've found helpful is to use two strands of 32g and create a finely twisted coil using a drill to twist the strands of wire together. This creates a coil that is more similar to 29 or 30g in heat production...

Twist.jpg

....for the most part, though, I feel like I'm pretty done with 32g. My 100% sweet spot is 29g kanthal or 0.4mm SSV Ti wire, but the former is less common in the States and the latter is more expensive than I can afford right now, so I rock 28g or 30g builds. My absolute favorite right now is a dual parallel 30g 5/4 wrap on a Nextasis <3

Kathy Hoppe of Bedazzled is a great person and an awesome friend. I've told her so many times how grateful I am for her site... think how many people it has helped who have an older atomizer for which there is no remaining customer service to be found!

Last edited:

GrowthCurve

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Rust Belt
The flavour from the thinner wire is imo more delicate and nuanced!!And it's a real pita to build with!!
Lolol, my first mesh build i did on an rsst. 32g 4 wraps right onto the wick in the atty. And i had beginner's luck.
Aga T2. Same thing. Beginner's luck. Had no idea why those first two builds worked. And spent the next couple of YEARS trying to understand it and duplicate it. And my subsequent builds were hit or miss. Mostly miss....I couldn't duplicate what I did with those first two builds to save my life
I ended up with the conclusion that for me, a picture perfect coil with the correct shape is everything. That if i can manage to install that on the atty, and get it fired and 'annealed' as you say--that the rest of the process goes really well. I use my camera alot. Not so much to be a hog with an iphone camera. It helps me to see any imperfections.
I will probably never use a tight rolled solid ingot of mesh ever again.The wick has to have alittle 'give' to it.
Just watched a Zen video again, on his Z Atty Pro. I think Zen is a neat guy. The way he wrapped that thin wick would drive me absolutely MENTAL tho!!
Peachy Paramour is a really nice flavour
@Vaya, what is that mod? IHybrid?

Last edited:

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
I bought a S/H Hellfire Top Air dripper a few weeks ago from someone on a Uk forum, and it was posted off to me and that's the last i heard of it. 2 Weeks go by, the chap i purchased it from refunded me my payment and I resigned myself to not getting it.

Yesterday I got a card through the door telling me that there was an excess postage payment due as there was not enough on the envelope, and that i had to collect it from the depot.

Did this this afternoon, and when i got home, opened it, and was quite surprised to see the Hellfire sitting in the trademark purple hellfire bubble wrap. It took over 2 weeks to get here, (75 Miles!) and was sent recorded delivery and first class mail!! but its here now.

Now all i have to do is figure out how to build this thing.

This is the dripper:-You can see why some folks call it The Flying Saucer?

vjUj6bW.jpg

This is the deck!

qmWgKgi.jpg

Strange looking deck on this eh?

and here is about the only picture i have been able to find with one wicked and ready to go.

BIL6gAI.jpg

Its going to be fun building on this, but its supposed to be a superb vaping machine, with its tiny 1mm air-hole with the air flow coming in from the top. Got a deep well, close to 5mm deep so holds a good amount of juice in there, so wont be any need for constant dripping. I am going to fill the well, loosely with fluffed up cotton so it will hold more juice and see how i go. I haven't been able to find any videos showing a build on these, as they did not make many at all, very small run as Hellfire said it was too complicated and time consuming to machine, so I will be making it up as i go.

It certainly is a tiny little thing, and its a 22mm atty but only about 15mm high so really small

I will let you know how i get on with it, and take some pictures as i build it, so you can see how i bugger it up!!

Hopefully will get to it tomorrow.. Wish me luck!! I may need it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread