TSA and the Ecig FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowchikiwowow

Jun 9, 2013
Riyadh, KSA
hi y'all, i just want to ask "again" since this thread is quite old.

once and for all, how many ml of e-liquid allowed in ones' checked luggage?

i know there's 100ml limit for liquids in carry-on, but how about in checked luggage? My friend is about to travel from PH to Riyadh, and i would like to make sure if it is really safe to bring e-juice, because .. like i am asking him to bring as many as he can :)

P-Dub

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
Santa Rita,GU, USA
hi y'all, i just want to ask "again" since this thread is quite old.

once and for all, how many ml of e-liquid allowed in ones' checked luggage?

i know there's 100ml limit for liquids in carry-on, but how about in checked luggage? My friend is about to travel from PH to Riyadh, and i would like to make sure if it is really safe to bring e-juice, because .. like i am asking him to bring as many as he can :)
For your individual country, departing and arriving, you must check with the officials there. Here in the US there is no restriction on the quantity or volume in your checked baggage. Each individual airline might have restrictions as well but those are usually booze related. You must check with them as well. For the PH and Riyadh you must check what the restrictions are for the respective countries.

cww5406

Nov 22, 2016
I am flying to MCO in January and I am wondering about ecig attachments I have that have liquid in them already instead of bringing bottles of juice. I am planning on taking apart my ecig through security so is my best bet to put them in my checked bag or in a clear plastic bag with my carry on?

Thanks!

Earlier today it was suggested that I make a FAQ about going through TSA checkpoints with a PV and after much deliberation, 30 seconds of thinking I am too lazy to do that, I have decided to write down a few things that I have noticed people worrying about.

First things first though, a little about me. I am an officer with TSA and work at the Orlando International Airport (MCO) and have been there for about a year and a half. I also worked for Virgin Atlantic Airways from 2001 till 2005 before I was laid off. I can answer most questions about going through security with your preferred method of vaping and/or your everyday items. If you have a question that is not covered in this FAQ feel free to ask me.

Can I bring my eliquid with me on the aircraft?
Yes you can with no problems as long as it is in a container that was commercially labelled at 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less or the container obviously could not hold more than that (I.E. the little bottles that come with Johnson Creek orders). Just please put it in a quart size clear plastic bag with your other liquids. If you do not have any you can ask someone when you get to the TSA checkpoint and they should be able to give you a ziplock bag.

Are there any problems with bringing my PV through TSA checkpoints?
None. They are not a prohibited item in any way shape or form. Though they do look rather ominous on the xray screen the most you will ever have to go through is to answer a couple of questions about what the device is as they go through your bag to see the item and/or run a test on the bag. If you want to completely avoid any interaction with the TSA officers I would suggest separating the battery from the atomizer and run it through the x-ray with your keys and other metal objects in your wallet. Keep in mind this does not hide it so they may stop the x-ray to take a look at it but it is not in a bag and therefore can just look in the container to see what it is.

What about my prodigy/GG/SD/etc?
Same as above. I think you may have less issue with those because the batteries would show up as batteries and not how the standard ecig shows on the x-ray but just like I said above if you want to avoid talking to an officer then separate the atomizer and run the whole thing separate from your bags.

I have a container of eliquid that is larger than 100ml what should I do with that?
Wrap it up tightly and very securely and put it in your checked bags. After seeing the bag room at MCO and how the equipment treats bags I would steer away from putting it in any case that relies on latches to close. The latches fail way more often than zippers do when they get hit by the "kickers". They are not called "kickers" because they gently nudge your bag, I have seen quite a few bags with latches get knocked and burst open spewing unmentionables all across the baggage area so please keep that in mind. That is also why you should never over stuff your suitcase.

what about my PCC? would that cause a problem?
Nope, none at all. It is nothing more than a battery box with some storage in it after all. I have not seen one on x-ray but I doubt it would look too bad.

What items are prohibited?
there is a list of items at TSA: Prohibited Items

Once again if you have any other questions feel free to ask me. I will add to this as I see more questions people have. These were just the questions that I came up with off the top of my head.

QUOTE="13ways, post: 537960, member: 12605"]Earlier today it was suggested that I make a FAQ about going through TSA checkpoints with a PV and after much deliberation, 30 seconds of thinking I am too lazy to do that, I have decided to write down a few things that I have noticed people worrying about.

First things first though, a little about me. I am an officer with TSA and work at the Orlando International Airport (MCO) and have been there for about a year and a half. I also worked for Virgin Atlantic Airways from 2001 till 2005 before I was laid off. I can answer most questions about going through security with your preferred method of vaping and/or your everyday items. If you have a question that is not covered in this FAQ feel free to ask me.

Can I bring my eliquid with me on the aircraft?
Yes you can with no problems as long as it is in a container that was commercially labelled at 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less or the container obviously could not hold more than that (I.E. the little bottles that come with Johnson Creek orders). Just please put it in a quart size clear plastic bag with your other liquids. If you do not have any you can ask someone when you get to the TSA checkpoint and they should be able to give you a ziplock bag.

Are there any problems with bringing my PV through TSA checkpoints?
None. They are not a prohibited item in any way shape or form. Though they do look rather ominous on the xray screen the most you will ever have to go through is to answer a couple of questions about what the device is as they go through your bag to see the item and/or run a test on the bag. If you want to completely avoid any interaction with the TSA officers I would suggest separating the battery from the atomizer and run it through the x-ray with your keys and other metal objects in your wallet. Keep in mind this does not hide it so they may stop the x-ray to take a look at it but it is not in a bag and therefore can just look in the container to see what it is.

What about my prodigy/GG/SD/etc?
Same as above. I think you may have less issue with those because the batteries would show up as batteries and not how the standard ecig shows on the x-ray but just like I said above if you want to avoid talking to an officer then separate the atomizer and run the whole thing separate from your bags.

I have a container of eliquid that is larger than 100ml what should I do with that?
Wrap it up tightly and very securely and put it in your checked bags. After seeing the bag room at MCO and how the equipment treats bags I would steer away from putting it in any case that relies on latches to close. The latches fail way more often than zippers do when they get hit by the "kickers". They are not called "kickers" because they gently nudge your bag, I have seen quite a few bags with latches get knocked and burst open spewing unmentionables all across the baggage area so please keep that in mind. That is also why you should never over stuff your suitcase.

what about my PCC? would that cause a problem?
Nope, none at all. It is nothing more than a battery box with some storage in it after all. I have not seen one on x-ray but I doubt it would look too bad.

What items are prohibited?
there is a list of items at TSA: Prohibited Items

Once again if you have any other questions feel free to ask me. I will add to this as I see more questions people have. These were just the questions that I came up with off the top of my head.[/QUOTE]

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
I am flying to MCO in January and I am wondering about ecig attachments I have that have liquid in them already instead of bringing bottles of juice. I am planning on taking apart my ecig through security so is my best bet to put them in my checked bag or in a clear plastic bag with my carry on?

You could do either, but personally, I'd put them in the quart-size bag of liquids and carry them on (if you've got enough space). If your checked bag got lost/delayed, you'd have the hassle of trying finding a vape shop at your destination (and hoping they had something you liked). Also, a checked bag could get searched and poorly repacked by TSA, leaving your tanks at risk of getting broken in transit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread