Status
Not open for further replies.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
While browsing ebay a while back I came across an ebay seller selling the LM2596-ADJ switching regulator with all external componets (the caps, diode, inductor, trimmer, etc) already soldered with the regulator to a pcb. AND for only $7.50!! :2cool:

It's absolutely a breeze to work with. Only need to connect Vout to the atty connector (pos Vout to to atty inner and neg Vout to atty outer) and Vin (pos Vin to one leg of the switch and neg Vin to the neg connector of the batt) and the other leg of the switch to the pos pole of the batt. Zip zip lickity split and it's done. :thumbs:

The seller also includes 2 connection cables (one for Vout and one for Vin).

DC-DC Converter Board regulator In:3-30V Out:1.3-18V - eBay (item 300459975900 end time Sep-24-10 23:28:48 PDT)

Here's what it looks like:
bm1.jpg

I used a 4x2x1 enclosure (Hammond 1591ABU). I cut 2, 18650 batt holders in half, trimmed them to size, then glued the halves back together to fit the 16340 batts.
bm2.jpg

Checking voltages. YAY - it works!! :toast:
bm3.jpg

All done.
bm4.jpg

Size comparison with a 3AA batt box. And of course, my helper had to make an appearance. :D
bm5.jpg

Last edited:

Ragman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2009
Hamlin, New York, USA
You say VV, do you mean variable voltage? How do you change the voltage?

I dont get it, I mean it seems like an awful lot of stuff to just get 5Volts which you can do with a free sample regulator from TI.

I guess the reason you'd use it is to not have to wire or solder any connections to a regulator pin.

Ragman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2009
Hamlin, New York, USA
Mamu,

Nice find. That is one cool variable voltage mod. How does that chip hold up to a load. Since you have the meter to measure it...;)

Ragman... that little brass screw in the bottom right (first picture) is the voltage adjust screw.

Thanks BigBlue. Had no idea. Good find mamu. How long do those batteries last at 5V?

Jason365

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
ATX
I think you just turn the small brass screw to adjust the voltage. Turn it up 18v if you want. But I dont really know.

You say VV, do you mean variable voltage? How do you change the voltage?

I dont get it, I mean it seems like an awful lot of stuff to just get 5Volts which you can do with a free sample regulator from TI.

I guess the reason you'd use it is to not have to wire or solder any connections to a regulator pin.

MXBNW

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2010
NW Washingtion
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Cool Mod where did you get the Volt Meter? I need one :)

While browsing ebay a while back I came across an ebay seller selling the LM2596-ADJ switching regulator with all external componets (the caps, diode, inductor, trimmer, etc) already soldered with the regulator to a pcb. AND for only $7.50!! :2cool:

It's absolutely a breeze to work with. Only need to connect Vout to the atty connector (pos Vout to to atty inner and neg Vout to atty outer) and Vin (pos Vin to one leg of the switch and neg Vin to the neg connector of the batt) and the other leg of the switch to the pos pole of the batt. Zip zip lickity split and it's done. :thumbs:

The seller also includes 2 connection cables (one for Vout and one for Vin).

DC-DC Converter Board regulator In:3-30V Out:1.3-18V - eBay (item 300459975900 end time Sep-24-10 23:28:48 PDT)

Here's what it looks like:
bm1.jpg

I used a 4x2x1 enclosure (Hammond 1591ABU). I cut 2, 18650 batt holders in half, trimmed them to size, then glued the halves back together to fit the 16340 batts.
bm2.jpg

Checking voltages. YAY - it works!! :toast:
bm3.jpg

All done.
bm4.jpg

Size comparison with a 3AA batt box. And of course, my helper had to make an appearance. :D
bm5.jpg

roadrash

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2010
Hillsboro NH
Nice find mamu and a cool neat looking mod.;);)

Is this a step-down converter? Everything I'm reading about the LM2596S-ADJ says it is a step-down regulator. Nice mod &
Thanks for sharing.

Sci, same thing I was thinking. BOOST? ;) input-3-30v, output-1.3 to 18v

I couldn't find any more specs on it, But some of the new ones go both ways.:blink:

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Mamu,

Nice find. That is one cool variable voltage mod. How does that chip hold up to a load. Since you have the meter to measure it...;)

Ragman... that little brass screw in the bottom right (first picture) is the voltage adjust screw.

TY Blue. Under load, I get a drop that averages 0.22 volts. I get a very satisfying vape from it and it's been vaping like a champ all day.

I noticed some warmth though coming through the case from where the bottom of the board is. That surprised me cuz I thought it would run cooler than the UCC283-ADJ, but it appears about the same in the heat it puts out. I'm not sure, but I believe the silver strip running right under the regulator underneath the board is a type of heat sink.

Thanks BigBlue. Had no idea. Good find mamu. How long do those batteries last at 5V?

TY Ragman. I'm using a LR510 atty with the voltage set at 4.30 volts. Still vaping with the batts I put in this morning.

Cool! Nice drip tip! Where'd you find that?

TY Storm. It is pretty isn't it? Blue mod with a blue swirl drip tip... a gal has to have color coordination. :D I got it from Drew at nhaler.com.

Nice find! Very nice price.

TY Vapor. It is a great price!! The regulator alone cost $5.81 at digikey. Pricing the regulator, caps, diode, inductor, and trimmer was $10 - $15. For someone to already do all the work of putting the external components on plus including Vout and Vin connector cables was great. :)

Is this a step-down converter? Everything I'm reading about the LM2596S-ADJ says it is a step-down regulator. Nice mod &
Thanks for sharing.

TY Sci. Here's some specs from the datasheet:

"The LM2596 series of regulators are monolithic integrated
circuits that provide all the active functions for a step-down
(buck) switching regulator, capable of driving a 3A load with
excellent line and load regulation. These devices are available
in fixed output voltages of 3.3V, 5V, 12V, and an adjustable
output version."

- 3.3V, 5V, 12V, and adjustable output versions
- Adjustable version output voltage range, 1.2V to 37V
- ±4% max over line and load conditions
- Available in TO-220 and TO-263 packages
- Guaranteed 3A output load current
- Input voltage range up to 40V
- Requires only 4 external components
- Excellent line and load regulation specifications
- 150 kHz fixed frequency internal oscillator
- TTL shutdown capability
- Low power standby mode, IQ typically 80 μA
- High efficiency
- Uses readily available standard inductors
- Thermal shutdown and current limit protection

Mamu, nice find indeed, with fan headers included oh my. And I just picked up a 200k pot today. Couldn't quite remember which resistors to get and got 2 47K--bummer. If only I had seen this earlier

TY asdaq. When I saw it on ebay, I did a double-take at that price. I just couldn't believe at that price that all external components were included.

Cool Mod where did you get the Volt Meter? I need one :)

TY MXBNW. LOL... Blue shared with us on how to make one.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/115651-5-50-voltmeter-load-checker.html

Nice find mamu and a cool neat looking mod.;);)

Sci, same thing I was thinking. BOOST? ;) input-3-30v, output-1.3 to 18v

I couldn't find any more specs on it, But some of the new ones go both ways.:blink:

TY Road. It's a step-down (buck) switching regulator.

Last edited:

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
That voltage control device looks like a Bourns trim pot to me.... would that be correct? The come in many "flavors" (Ohms) and configurations for mounting to a pcb. I use the 3296 config. personally. You can pick them up at Digikey or Jameco. Also have seen some on eBay, but have to watch out for knock offs..... Bourns is the "gold standard" for them and are made to last and last. Just use a little flat head screwdriver to adjust or can glue an extension on with a know to allow you to turn it by hand. The regulator will put off the heat and that silver strip does look to be a heat sink of sorts. Cool device and for the money, can't beat it. Just buying the parts to make one yourself would cost more than what they are selling it for -- especially with the made up cabling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread