Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Up until about two months ago, I had vaped on RDA's exclusively for a couple of years. I was in the same position as you -- I loved the performance of RDA's, and never minded having to redrip, but the performance of newer RTA's promised to be comparable to RDA's, and it would be nice to have a tank to use when out and about.

The Limitless does have plenty of good reviews, but I just couldn't get on board with it because of how it is wicked. I don't like RDA's which have a drip well so deep (or posts set up very high) that you need wick tails an inch long to reach the bottom. They just aren't able to deliver juice to the coils as quickly compared to RDA's with shallower wells. I prefer RDA's with about a 5 - 6 mm deep well, requiring wick tails about a centimeter in length.

So I looked elsewhere when choosing my first RTA. I ended up with the 24 mm Moonshot, and have been very impressed with it. It gives flavor on par with my RDA's, and vapor production is impressive as well (although it of course doesn't quite match up with my RDA's that are suited for cloud chasing). Building on the Moonshot is often complained about, but I never had any issues.

The Mage, OBS Engine, Sapor, Goblin Mini V3, and Griffin Mini 25mm were the other top contenders in my search. The Petri RTA also looked great, but hadn't been available yet for sale, and I also wasn't willing to pay $70 when I wasn't yet sure if I would even like RTA's. I'm definitely considering picking one up now though.

Reactions: Verb

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I use the Limitless and Avocado 24 on mechanical and regulated mods. I keep the wick tails cut just below the deck (you can barely see the wicks at the top of the tank) and both work great - but you do have to tip your mod occasionally to keep the wicks saturated - which is no big deal for me and still more convenient than dripping. Both are easy to build, easy to fill, and vape great.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I use the Limitless and Avocado 24 on mechanical and regulated mods. I keep the wick tails cut just below the deck (you can barely see the wicks at the top of the tank) and both work great - but you do have to tip your mod occasionally to keep the wicks saturated - which is no big deal for me and still more convenient than dripping. Both are easy to build, easy to fill, and vape great.

Sure, you could wick top-deck RTA's like that and not have to deal with super-long wick tails, but I just don't see the point. Years ago when Genesis style atomizers were the only real options for high performance RTA's, you had no choice but to tilt and/or use long wicks. But tanks have come a long way since then, and I really cannot understand why top deck RTA's have seen such a resurgence as of late. Bottom deck RTA's require no tilting, no extra-long wicks, and don't have to fight gravity to deliver juice from the tank to the coil.

The only things I can think of are resistance against leaks, and having the coils closer to your mouth for flavor. But my Moonshot RTA has leaked only twice, and both times were my fault -- once on purpose while experimenting how little cotton could be used before it leaked, and once because I forgot to close the airflow before refilling. Perhaps older bottom deck RTA's were more prone to leaking, and some people just don't trust them not to leak, so they are gravitating towards top deck RTA's despite the fact that any well-made RTA won't leak, regardless of whether it is a top deck or bottom deck design.

Regarding the coil placement, even though it's a bottom deck design with a chimney, my Moonshot delivers flavor just as well as any RDA I've ever tried. I simply can't seem to understand the allure of all the new top-deck RTA's now available...it just seems like a step backward to me.

MPedy

Dec 10, 2016
I know I'm a bit late to this thread but I'd like to second what Cheallaigh mentioned--squonking. a few months ago i didn't know what it was hardly or what the heck some people were all hyped up about. It looked weird and more complicated--just not for me. Well, i got convinced that it makes total sense and I should try it. Boom--game, set, match. It's exactly the same as carrying a dripper around with a tank of juice that soaks the coils every time use squeeze your mod by the touch of a finger. Intro squonk mods: Steam Crave has one, Pico has one and the Kanger Drip Tank. Priced reasonably. If you had absolutely no tanks that are capable of squonking, i'd go with the Hadaly atty. $70. Not too steep. If you got one of those mods and a hadaly it might change your life forever. LOL

Reactions: Cheallaigh

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Eeverybody is convinced that tanks arre more convenient. How come that's not my experience? Supposedly dripping takes up so much of the day a tank is needed to reduce it. Hmm, lately I'm vaping 4 ml per day, even when I'm just sitting around the house all day. Usually when I drip I count out 20 drops. It takes about 10-15 seconds to add those 20 drops. Recently I ccunted 20 drops into a 5 ml graduated cylinder and found that's 1/2 ml so I'm dripping 8-10 times a day so that's 2-3 minutes of my precious time?

I like my SV rda clone because it's good at bringing out the 1% flavoring in my DIY, I can prevent leaking in pocket carry with a tall silicone ring, there's no glass to break, the parts count is low, and the easiest parts to loose are generic, rewicking takes 5 minutes, rebulding takes 10-15, and it cost me $7 so I got a few of them in case the government interferes with products. May be what i'm missing is people who vape 30 ml per day would be dripping a lot more often than tootle puffer me? Are the big clouds really worth lugging around a big mod and carrying spare batteries, etc.?

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I love RDAs and still use them exclusively. I tried an RTA 2 yrs ago and it was NOT for me. I just ordered 3 more RDAs(GOON, Kennedy, Tsunami) and one RDTA(Avocado 24). I am curious about the RDTA style and am looking forward to giving it a try. The Limitless RDTA looks just as awesome as the Avocado but the Avocado was cheaper so I went with that(they seem pretty similar in all aspects to me).

MPedy

Dec 10, 2016
Eeverybody is convinced that tanks arre more convenient. How come that's not my experience? Supposedly dripping takes up so much of the day a tank is needed to reduce it. Hmm, lately I'm vaping 4 ml per day, even when I'm just sitting around the house all day. Usually when I drip I count out 20 drops. It takes about 10-15 seconds to add those 20 drops. Recently I ccunted 20 drops into a 5 ml graduated cylinder and found that's 1/2 ml so I'm dripping 8-10 times a day so that's 2-3 minutes of my precious time?

I like my SV rda clone because it's good at bringing out the 1% flavoring in my DIY, I can prevent leaking in pocket carry with a tall silicone ring, there's no glass to break, the parts count is low, and the easiest parts to loose are generic, rewicking takes 5 minutes, rebulding takes 10-15, and it cost me $7 so I got a few of them in case the government interferes with products. May be what i'm missing is people who vape 30 ml per day would be dripping a lot more often than tootle puffer me? Are the big clouds really worth lugging around a big mod and carrying spare batteries, etc.?

There are a number of assumptions you're making that i don't really agree with, but I do understand where you're coming from. All I do is tootle puffs. I don't think clouds brah clouds is relative to being pro-squonk. There are small squonkers that take one battery. People are not just sitting home most of time--they be on the move. Driving--"no dripping n drivin!!". Work, errands, etc. The amount of juice the bottle holds is significant. It's just a more convenient way to drip that directly tries to fix the only downside there is to drippers. You may not be excited about it but there's no reason to take a dump in the middle of squonking's ice cream sundae.

Reactions: Cheallaigh

MPedy

Dec 10, 2016
I love RDAs and still use them exclusively. I tried an RTA 2 yrs ago and it was NOT for me. I just ordered 3 more RDAs(GOON, Kennedy, Tsunami) and one RDTA(Avocado 24). I am curious about the RDTA style and am looking forward to giving it a try. The Limitless RDTA looks just as awesome as the Avocado but the Avocado was cheaper so I went with that(they seem pretty similar in all aspects to me).

If you can, holler back about the Limitless RDTA. Supposed to be great.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I had the Limitless Plus, wasn't all that impressed with it and ended up vaping it forward. For me it was way to airy and didn't provide the flavor. Tried the Avocado, was ok. So far my favorite RDTA is the VGOD Trick Tank Pro, excellent flavor and great cloud production. I was also lucky to get my hands on the Merlin RDTA Prototype, I'm really, really digging it and looking forward to the released product.

As for RTA's, my all time favorites are the Modfather and Boreas, have yet to see anything touch them.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
There are a number of assumptions you're making that i don't really agree with, but I do understand where you're coming from. All I do is tootle puffs. I don't think clouds brah clouds is relative to being pro-squonk. There are small squonkers that take one battery. People are not just sitting home most of time--they be on the move. Driving--"no dripping n drivin!!". Work, errands, etc. The amount of juice the bottle holds is significant. It's just a more convenient way to drip that directly tries to fix the only downside there is to drippers. You may not be excited about it but there's no reason to take a dump in the middle of squonking's ice cream sundae.
I wasn't considering squonkers. Early on I avoided them because they were large and unregulated and didn't accomdate my preferred atomizer. My rda with temp control avoids mosts of the problems you mention. In the car I can vape on a reletively dry wick until there's an opportuniety to add liquid. I like it that i can vape on a dry wick or a saturated one. I take a lot of puffs in a day but still only use about 4 ml. Some of those puffs are farily dense but many are less so because of the dryer wick. I've learned to prefer that over the consistanccy of a tank. May be the real issue is daily ml's. If you vape a lot of ml's a tiny 22mm rda might be a hastle. I consider a squonker to be an rda that feeds from the bottom. I'm not against them, just don't need one.

MPedy

Dec 10, 2016
I wasn't considering squonkers. Early on I avoided them because they were large and unregulated and didn't accomdate my preferred atomizer. My rda with temp control avoids mosts of the problems you mention. In the car I can vape on a reletively dry wick until there's an opportuniety to add liquid. I like it that i can vape on a dry wick or a saturated one. I take a lot of puffs in a day but still only use about 4 ml. Some of those puffs are farily dense but many are less so because of the dryer wick. I've learned to prefer that over the consistanccy of a tank. May be the real issue is daily ml's. If you vape a lot of ml's a tiny 22mm rda might be a hastle. I consider a squonker to be an rda that feeds from the bottom. I'm not against them, just don't need one.

I hear ya--so much diversity in vaping.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
i have RDAs, RDTAs, and i have tanks, and i have 2 squonking mods... i drive a lot.. 4ml a day? i wish!

all my rda's are used for squonking... no spills, no drip-driving, and almost twice the capacity of the average 22mm RDA
i adore my coil art azeroth, gods forbids it tips in either truck... so it usually stays at home even though i love the flavour i get from it
tanks.. pro tank 4, big and baby beasts... handy, no mess, safe to drive with and easy to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread