Status
Not open for further replies.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
How are you washing them up? In the old days I used to soak my cartomizers in boiling water and then dry them out....
I also drop them in boiling water and let them soak for a while, then dry them out. I have used my ultrasonic cleaner on them when I am doing tanks and parts and I don't notice any difference either way. I was using denture cleaner on the cCells, though. I would drop them into a bowl with a denture cleaner tablet and let them soak overnight, then rinse them under the tap, and THEN put them in a mug of microwave-boiling water to let them soak again for a while. It was a lot of work for not much more payoff. Rinsing and clearing out the middle with a Q-tip or one of those little brush/toothpick thingies for braces works great. The cotton on these coils holds up quite nicely!

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Rounding on month #3 on one coil. 2/9/17 will equal 3 months to the day on one coil. Flavor is just as good as the first day. Can't say enough positive about this tank and the quality of these coils. At this point I might create a thread: the coil that wouldn't die.

Hi- I have the Freemax Starre Pure and my 1st coil I used was the .25Ω and I barely got a week out of it. I used 20pg/80vg juice at 35-40w. I put in the 2nd coil the .5Ω and so far I have been able to get 2 weeks out of it, but it is still going strong, same liquid and wattage! Looks like the 1st .25Ω coil came pretty clean with hot water soaking and using a Q-tip and will give that one another try, when the .5Ω needs to be changed out and see how it will vape after cleaning it.
I have been ordering coils from FT for around $8.00 a box (15% off sale) and luckily I only ordered 1 box of the .25Ω coils and 4 boxes of the .5Ω- I think I like the .5Ω more!
What coil are you using?
I really like this tank, no leaking issues, I do get some spit back occasionally, very good flavor, and I like the .5Ω coil much more than the .25Ω! The tank can be a juice hog, but many other my tanks are too!

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Hi- I have the Freemax Starre Pure and my 1st coil I used was the .25Ω and I barely got a week out of it. I used 20pg/80vg juice at 35-40w. I put in the 2nd coil the .5Ω and so far I have been able to get 2 weeks out of it, but it is still going strong, same liquid and wattage! Looks like the 1st .25Ω coil came pretty clean with hot water soaking and using a Q-tip and will give that one another try, when the .5Ω needs to be changed out and see how it will vape after cleaning it.
I have been ordering coils from FT for around $8.00 a box (15% off sale) and luckily I only ordered 1 box of the .25Ω coils and 4 boxes of the .5Ω- I think I like the .5Ω more!
What coil are you using?
I really like this tank, no leaking issues, I do get some spit back occasionally, very good flavor, and I like the .5Ω coil much more than the .25Ω! The tank can be a juice hog, but many other my tanks are too!
Hello, SnapDragon! Welcome to ECF! :)

Sorry for barging in on your question to another member. Feel free to ignore me. :D From my experience, these coils clean up very nicely. I cleaned a .5 ohm coil just to see how it would do. I only use ceramic or hybrid coils and I am really happy that they can be cleaned and reused.

I use both the .5 and the .35 coils. I have 2 of these tanks and run one of each, lol! I thought I would like the .5 ohm coil better because that's what I normally use but I really like the punch I get from the .25. I am surprised your .25 coil only lasted a week. I wonder if that coil might just be a bad one? Mine last a month or more and I use anywhere from 80% to max VG. I do notice that they get dirty faster with sweeter juices, but I run a q-tip down my drip tip and clean out the coil periodically while it's installed. Seems to really help with life span.

So anyway, again, sorry for barging in here!

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Hello, SnapDragon! Welcome to ECF! :)

Sorry for barging in on your question to another member. Feel free to ignore me. :D From my experience, these coils clean up very nicely. I cleaned a .5 ohm coil just to see how it would do. I only use ceramic or hybrid coils and I am really happy that they can be cleaned and reused.

I use both the .5 and the .35 coils. I have 2 of these tanks and run one of each, lol! I thought I would like the .5 ohm coil better because that's what I normally use but I really like the punch I get from the .25. I am surprised your .25 coil only lasted a week. I wonder if that coil might just be a bad one? Mine last a month or more and I use anywhere from 80% to max VG. I do notice that they get dirty faster with sweeter juices, but I run a q-tip down my drip tip and clean out the coil periodically while it's installed. Seems to really help with life span.

So anyway, again, sorry for barging in here!

Hi and Thank you so much for your Welcome and I would never ignore you and barge in anytime, I barged in myself! Thank you about cleaning the coils as this is my 1st Ceramic coil tank and read that they last a lot longer than regular coils. I have cleaned the 1st coil and it looks almost new and hoping it will work for at least another week or two or three Haha.
I have bought some OBS tanks so I can learn to wind and wick! I want to not be so dependent on factory coils. I won the Freemax Pure in a contest, but since I have it, I have been purchasing(stockpiling) the coils for it! Just wish there was a rebuildable coil for this tank, scared about the future of vaping and want to make sure I am well stocked!
I was surprised when the .25Ω coil started to give me burnt and dry hits too after only using it for 1 week! But so far I am happy with the .5Ω coil and will use the Qtip trick while installed and using- I usually try that when I take off the coil. I am glad that you let me know that your coil lasted a month, that is what I am hoping for.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Not to derail the thread, and I don't have a Freemax Pure but have read lots of good things about its performance and ceramic longevity, but I expect you'll love the Engine varieties you have inbound. Truly dead simple to build and wick. I wish it had been my first RTA and spared me the pain of spills and leaks thanks to my amateur attempts at building.

I'm in agreement of not wanting to remain dependent on factory coils. But if you do lay in a bit of a supply, you'll really be able to stretch out the lifespan of the tank by alternating with your RTAs. I have a few tanks I still use that rely on factory coils. I find them useful for times like traveling when I would rather just pop something out of the blister pack, rather than worry about carrying cotton or wire around with me should a coil "refresh" be necessary.

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Not to derail the thread, and I don't have a Freemax Pure but have read lots of good things about its performance and ceramic longevity, but I expect you'll love the Engine varieties you have inbound. Truly dead simple to build and wick. I wish it had been my first RTA and spared me the pain of spills and leaks thanks to my amateur attempts at building.

I'm in agreement of not wanting to remain dependent on factory coils. But if you do lay in a bit of a supply, you'll really be able to stretch out the lifespan of the tank by alternating with your RTAs. I have a few tanks I still use that rely on factory coils. I find them useful for times like traveling when I would rather just pop something out of the blister pack, rather than worry about carrying cotton or wire around with me should a coil "refresh" be necessary.

I have 2 OBS Engine minis, 2 OBS Crius and 2 OBS Ace- the Ace has a single coil deck and can use factory coils! I am on the fence right now for the OBS Nano, which I would have bought if it came out before the regular engines!
Yes I have quite the stockpile of Atlantis and Kanger SSOCC coils, those run all my tanks!
The Freemax Starre Pure is not something I would have bought, but won in a contest. I really hate spending the money on other types of coils that only work on that 1 tank and not compatible with any other coil. Love the Tank and it is really nice for the 3-4 weeks I have been using it!
I have my Nebox( 2 more stored away) for on the go! Love that thing!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I have 2 OBS Engine minis, 2 OBS Crius and 2 OBS Ace- the Ace has a single coil deck and can use factory coils! I am on the fence right now for the OBS Nano, which I would have bought if it came out before the regular engines!
Yes I have quite the stockpile of Atlantis and Kanger SSOCC coils, those run all my tanks!
The Freemax Starre Pure is not something I would have bought, but won in a contest. I really hate spending the money on other types of coils that only work on that 1 tank and not compatible with any other coil. Love the Tank and it is really nice for the 3-4 weeks I have been using it!
I have my Nebox( 2 more stored away) for on the go! Love that thing!

What I want from OBS is an Engine mini nano, a 23 mm tank with a single coil deck. That would be perfect for me. I agree stocking lots of different coils is flat out unpleasant, but other than my starting out Nauti and Triton mini stuff I avoided anything else except for a Tobeco super tank and Super tank mini.

I can use any Atlantis/Triton (full size) coil in it, so there's a wide choice from Tobeco's own (they have a decent SS notch coil that works well in TC), to a Triton 1.8 ohm if I want small and no cloud if I'm somewhere it would be inappropriate to vape, to ceramic coils from Vaporesso (I've got a pack of those EUC coils with a sleeve that will fit, just haven't gotten around to trying them yet).

Tanks with factory coils aren't bad so long as you use them with the understanding the coil upkeep is more expensive, and you're not counting on them having 5 years of future coil availability. Building your own spares you a potentially painful future. But given the Freemax was free, and it also has a solid rep for flavor, I think you made out really well on that side of things.:)

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
What coil are you using?
I'm using the .5 still the one that came with the tank. Haven't tried the .25 yet. I've not had any spit back issues and believe me I know that pain (see cubis/cubis pro). I'm using 50/50 liquid and it's a simple menthol flavor. I think my coils last in part because the liquid is not very sugary and also because I vape in mid 20s wattage. Im glad the .5 is working better for you. Hope it continues. And I also wish that freemax would make a ceramic RBA for this tank. It would very quickly become an all timer for me.

That said I've been slowing researching for a RTA(s) to make sure that I am not chained to any coil. I would be interested to hear your experience as you start building.

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
What I want from OBS is an Engine mini nano, a 23 mm tank with a single coil deck. That would be perfect for me. I agree stocking lots of different coils is flat out unpleasant, but other than my starting out Nauti and Triton mini stuff I avoided anything else except for a Tobeco super tank and Super tank mini.

I can use any Atlantis/Triton (full size) coil in it, so there's a wide choice from Tobeco's own (they have a decent SS notch coil that works well in TC), to a Triton 1.8 ohm if I want small and no cloud if I'm somewhere it would be inappropriate to vape, to ceramic coils from Vaporesso (I've got a pack of those EUC coils with a sleeve that will fit, just haven't gotten around to trying them yet).

Tanks with factory coils aren't bad so long as you use them with the understanding the coil upkeep is more expensive, and you're not counting on them having 5 years of future coil availability. Building your own spares you a potentially painful future. But given the Freemax was free, and it also has a solid rep for flavor, I think you made out really well on that side of things.:)

Exactly what I have done with many of my tanks! To make sure they are Aspire Atlantis/Triton coil compatible like the Melo and Tobeco and so many more!
The Freemax regular tanks take Aspire coils too, and will be a sorry day when I can no longer get the Freemax Pure ceramic coils, I don't know of any other coils that will work with this tank and it would be great if they would create a RBA for it so I can keep using this very nice Freemax Pure tank in the future.

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
I'm using the .5 still the one that came with the tank. Haven't tried the .25 yet. I've not had any spit back issues and believe me I know that pain (see cubis/cubis pro). I'm using 50/50 liquid and it's a simple menthol flavor. I think my coils last in part because the liquid is not very sugary and also because I vape in mid 20s wattage. Im glad the .5 is working better for you. Hope it continues. And I also wish that freemax would make a ceramic RBA for this tank. It would very quickly become an all timer for me.

That said I've been slowing researching for a RTA(s) to make sure that I am not chained to any coil. I would be interested to hear your experience as you start building.

Thank you for your reply- I really like the .5Ω coils much better and glad to hear that they are lasting a while for you! Yes I vape a higher VG and a higher wattage and that is a little hard on my coils.But I cleaned the 1st .25Ω and it looks pretty nice and maybe can squeeze a little more life out of it! I love the tank and ordered 4 boxes of coils so far to be able to keep using it for a while! An RBA would be amazing and hope that Freemax makes one for this tank! Here in the US our vaping future is unknown, and I for one want to keep vaping for as long as I can!
The OBS tanks are all very nice and well built, decks are easy to build on, and wick! No leaking and I think the flavor is very good! They are my 1st RTAs and so far I am happy with them! I am still learning and forums like these really help along with You Tube videos!

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
Hi and Thank you so much for your Welcome and I would never ignore you and barge in anytime, I barged in myself! Thank you about cleaning the coils as this is my 1st Ceramic coil tank and read that they last a lot longer than regular coils. I have cleaned the 1st coil and it looks almost new and hoping it will work for at least another week or two or three Haha.
I have bought some OBS tanks so I can learn to wind and wick! I want to not be so dependent on factory coils. I won the Freemax Pure in a contest, but since I have it, I have been purchasing(stockpiling) the coils for it! Just wish there was a rebuildable coil for this tank, scared about the future of vaping and want to make sure I am well stocked!
I was surprised when the .25Ω coil started to give me burnt and dry hits too after only using it for 1 week! But so far I am happy with the .5Ω coil and will use the Qtip trick while installed and using- I usually try that when I take off the coil. I am glad that you let me know that your coil lasted a month, that is what I am hoping for.
I am really hoping this is the year we see ceramic rebuildables. I am definitely a #lazyvaper. I love the convenience of premade coils but I agree; they get expensive, especially if they are proprietary. I would definitely be interested in a ceramic rebuildable, though. I LOVE the Vaporesso EUC coils because they are so versatile. They are coming out with more sleeves to fit the different tanks and they perform wonderfully. They are the other coil I am using at the moment. I will have the top airflow tank (VECO tank) from Vaporesso on Monday. Righty now the Starre Pure wins out in that aspect for sure. The top airflow is great. They just don't leak! The Pure coils are also a lot bigger and they do chuck bigger clouds but I think flavor is a toss up between the two. Both coils just taste great. :)

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
It's officially been 3 months on one coil. I primed and vaped this coil for the first time on 11/09/16. It has been going strong ever since. Happy 3 month anniversary coil! At this rate the pack of 5 I bought should last me oh 15 months at least. Dont worry, thanks to the FDA I will probably buy more even though I don't need them. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread