Anything specific i should know about building with SS wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
SS is better for dual coil setups, as single coils or small coils with few wraps are actually terrible as SS heats up very fast, so fast that it will burn your wick and liquid very easily.

Also, I wasn't able to get TC to either work at all or work correctly with SS for a while, searched back and forth about it, discovered that a LOT of people were having the same issues, but when I decided to give a dual coil deck a try (as my prior trials were with rebuilding cartridges and single coil decks), it finally worked and worked very well.

All my dual coil RTAs are SS now.

Reactions: nocigsnomore

nocigsnomore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Land of Oz
SS is better for dual coil setups, as single coils or small coils with few wraps are actually terrible as SS heats up very fast, so fast that it will burn your wick and liquid very easily.

Also, I wasn't able to get TC to either work at all or work correctly with SS for a while, searched back and forth about it, discovered that a LOT of people were having the same issues, but when I decided to give a dual coil deck a try (as my prior trials were with rebuilding cartridges and single coil decks), it finally worked and worked very well.

Had no idea! Very happy to have learned this! Thank you! :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I've been using these Coils a Lot in Single Coil RDA's like the NarDa and in Single Coil RTA's like the Wine and Sub/TopTank Mini.

$2.20 Authentic MKWS 316 Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (50-Pack) - 26 AWG / 0.4mm dia. / 0.32ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Haven't had any real Problems with Burning e-Liquids or Wick vs. the NiChrome 80 I previously used.

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

Single coil ss316 coils using 26 or 28ga wire work perfectly fine. Simply a matter of adjusting the watts accordingly. No problem using single ss316 coils in tc either (I use mostly Joyetech/Wismec/Eleaf mods). The build just needs to be stable and not too low (so thinner wire is better).

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Single coil ss316 coils using 26 or 28ga wire work perfectly fine. Simply a matter of adjusting the watts accordingly. No problem using single ss316 coils in tc either (I use mostly Joyetech/Wismec/Eleaf mods). The build just needs to be stable and not too low (so thinner wire is better).

SS will work as I said, depending on the MOD and tank/deck (RTA or RDA), but not on everything every time... the smaller the coil, the harder it is to get it working right.... if you're doing a fairly large build, it should help it work correctly. But on my various RTAs and RDAs, every time I tried single coils I had issues, and so did a LOT of people (plenty of threads and discussions easily found online about people having the exact same issue, including other vapers in my area that I've talked to).

And it's not just wattage... I tested at very low wattage, with nothing worth while until I'd increase it bit by bit, and once I'd get actual vape and warmth, it would start giving me burnt taste almost instantly. I tried various gauge, on various settings, in different tanks, always the same results.

Add to that, that my several mods had trouble staying in SS mode with the small single coils (Eleaf, Joytech, Smok, Innokin), but once switched to dual coils (in the various RDA/RTAs I have), every problem went away, logic dictates that it's simply a question that enough wire is needed for things to work properly with TC, that the power being split into two channels balances the ramping better.

If you managed to have tanks with single builds that worked out for you, that's quite great, but it's far from everyone's experience.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
SS will work as I said, depending on the MOD and tank/deck (RTA or RDA), but not on everything every time... the smaller the coil, the harder it is to get it working right.... if you're doing a fairly large build, it should help it work correctly. But on my various RTAs and RDAs, every time I tried single coils I had issues, and so did a LOT of people (plenty of threads and discussions easily found online about people having the exact same issue, including other vapers in my area that I've talked to).

And it's not just wattage... I tested at very low wattage, with nothing worth while until I'd increase it bit by bit, and once I'd get actual vape and warmth, it would start giving me burnt taste almost instantly. I tried various gauge, on various settings, in different tanks, always the same results.

Add to that, that my several mods had trouble staying in SS mode with the small single coils (Eleaf, Joytech, Smok, Innokin), but once switched to dual coils (in the various RDA/RTAs I have), every problem went away, logic dictates that it's simply a question that enough wire is needed for things to work properly with TC, that the power being split into two channels balances the ramping better.

If you managed to have tanks with single builds that worked out for you, that's quite great, but it's far from everyone's experience.
MMM I run a number of single coil devices with SS, it's pretty much all I use. Everything from basic wire builds, twisted to fused Clapton SS and all of them work excellent. Also look a all the factory coils using SS ;)

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle

Yep, currently running a 32x2/38 SS Fused Clapton in my Kayfun and she works brilliantly.

I have no idea where they get the burns wick faster, small coils, yadda, yadda from. I've built nano coils with 1.5mm di with 34, 32, 30, etc SS and without problems in Tanks, RDA's etc. 99.99% of all I use is SS because of better flavor, faster ramp up and cool down, easier to wrap, etc.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
MMM I run a number of single coil devices with SS, it's pretty much all I use. Everything from basic wire builds, twisted to fused Clapton SS and all of them work excellent. Also look a all the factory coils using SS ;)

As I said, mileage varies from person to person, the mod and tanks used does make a huge difference, but sadly the several I've used, and the fairly large numbers of other tanks and mods that other people have had trouble with also counts, and for the factory ones.. you mean the ones that I constantly hear people whine and complain that they don't work right? Duds, mods jumping out of TC mode, etc.

Overall, I've seen more and better discussions from people trying to get SS to work properly, comparing notes, asking questions, experiences and such, compared to those that needed to prove how great they were because they managed to make it work.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
As I said, mileage varies from person to person, the mod and tanks used does make a huge difference, but sadly the several I've used, and the fairly large numbers of other tanks and mods that other people have had trouble with also counts, and for the factory ones.. you mean the ones that I constantly hear people whine and complain that they don't work right? Duds, mods jumping out of TC mode, etc.

Overall, I've seen more and better discussions from people trying to get SS to work properly, comparing notes, asking questions, experiences and such, compared to those that needed to prove how great they were because they managed to make it work.
Depends on the Mod and factory coils vary by batch in quality, thus one of the many reasons I build.

Don't know but the single coil RDA's I have are the NarDa, Hadaly and have run Single coils in other RDA's. Single Coil Tanks my Kayfun, Squape, Alpha One, RBA's in the Crown I and Crown II not a single problem that wasn't attributed to my own screw ups. Plus a number of others I'm around are perfectly happy with SS so I seriously have no idea where you're coming from. That is unless in the early days of SS TC support then yes, there were issues like any new technology. But TC with SS is pretty solid, well that is as much as TC can be.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Also you're assuming OP is using TC, not everyone prefers TC.

Example these day's I'm mostly on Mech's and SS is wonderful.

No, I'm assuming that the OP is ASKING ABOUT SS and I provided actual information, comparative details, and explaining issues that LOTS of people have had with it so that IF he does have issues building, he would be aware of these possibilities, while a few people have done nothing but provide no other information aside than repeating that they consider themselves superior because they didn't encounter such issues, issues I will repeat that many people did have when switching to SS.

SS used in small coils do ramp extremely fast, and while in wattage mode it can be balanced (to prevent burning), but at that point, due to small size, this wouldn't provide more than a MTL type vape.

Anyways, this is getting repetitive so I'm done, if the OP has any questions, he can PM me.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I Don't Know why you are having So Many Problems using a Single SS Coil? I Never gave it much thought the 1st Time I tried SS. I just put a Coil in a NarDa and it work Great. Same with my Single Coil RTA's. Works Fine.

Maybe you need to work on you Single Coil Wicking Techniques?

And I'm Not seeing a Disproportionate amount of people having problems using a Single SS Coil here on the ECF. Seems like there are about the same amount of People who are having Problems with Kanthal(s) or NiChromes(s) as with SS. About the Only Alloy that I see above average Problems with is people using Ni-200.

What I do see is a Lot of People who are Trying SS because they like the Faster Ramp-Up Time. And many like the Taste of SS over Kanthal(s) or over NiChrome(s).

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I Don't Know why you are having So Many Problems using a Single SS Coil? I Never gave it much thought the 1st Time I tried SS. I just put a Coil in a NarDa and it work Great. Same with my Single Coil RTA's. Works Fine.

Maybe you need to work on you Single Coil Wicking Techniques?

And I'm Not seeing a Disproportionate amount of people having problems using a Single SS Coil here on the ECF. Seems like there are about the same amount of People who are having Problems with Kanthal(s) or NiChromes(s) as with SS. About the Only Alloy that I see above average Problems with is people using Ni-200.

What I do see is a Lot of People who are Trying SS because they like the Faster Ramp-Up Time. And many like the Taste of SS over Kanthal(s) or over NiChrome(s).
From this comment of their's
they consider themselves superior because they didn't encounter such issues

Seems they got all .... hurt when others disagree. People get so damn sensitive when others differ with their opinion. :rolleyes:

Me when someone points out something different like I could be making a mistake I'll revisit to see if I'm doing something wrong instead of getting all snipping and mad.

O'well such is life on the Internet ;)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
From this comment of their's

Seems they got all .... hurt when others disagree. People get so damn sensitive when others differ with their opinion. :rolleyes:

Me when someone points out something different like I could be making a mistake I'll revisit to see if I'm doing something wrong instead of getting all snipping and mad.

O'well such is life on the Internet ;)

It just Kinda struck me as Funny to hear someone say'n that SS isn't going to work with a Single Coil. And made me look at the Mods/RTA's that are sitting on my "Vape Shelf" that have Single Coil SS builds on them.

As well as the CopperVape/NarDa combo I was hitting on while I wrote that Post.

LOL

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
i just bought my first roll of stainless steel wire, and i'm wondering if there's anything important i need to know before building with it. the only difference i know of is that it has a lower resistance than kanthal. but im not sure how much lower. i bought 28g wire
I vape exclusively on an SV rda clone at 30 max watts and 400 degrees. I build 1.4 ohm spaced coils with 28 gauge SS, rebuild once or twice a month, clean and rewick twice a week, and vape 5-7 ml per day using very little flavoring (1%). I have no problems with SS. It's perfect for what i do.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Entertaining thread...never once heard anything about SS coils being troublesome as single coils...not saying people haven't encountered that issue but to see it spoken about like you're an exception if you've never had trouble is highly amusing. :)

Been running SS single coils for months now. Vapes great :thumbs:

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
SS is amazing. I use 316L 28g. I mainly use mechs (14500) and small atties (14/16mm) and coil with SS at 2.5dia around 1ohm cold resistance. I love the ramp up.

As with any coil building or wicking - you need to practice and try many things for yourself. There is no "one way is the only right way" thing with vaping.

My hubs likes kanthal as that is what we used when we started. He likes the way it makes his juice taste. He isnt interested in changing that. I can taste the Kanthal now and yes, it does change the taste of my juice. I prefer SS.

I also use ReadyxWick, rayon and KGD depending on my application and setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread