Overwhelmed! Recommendations for a dependable Tank to vape 1.2ohms with rebuildable coils or decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliceisinwonderland

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
Northern CA
Hi Folks! I have read and researched and am overwhelmed at the choices for tanks out there. I like to vape around 1.2 ohms 100% VG, prefer taste over clouds and a cooler vape. I would like a dependable daily driver that I can have multiple decks or rebuildable atomizers for travel purposes. Working in tiny spaces (coils) is not an issue for me. I have been recommended the Kayfun, that is a beautiful tank but may be a bit pricey for me. I know this is subjective but would truly appreciate what you have to say! Thank you!

Last edited:

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I like the STM. Clearomizers - Kangertech - Subtank - DesertVapes (They also sell the Top Tank Mini which allows for top filling.)

Easy to coil and wick, adjustable air flow (I toddle puff @ 1.8 ohms), replaceable RBA (cheaper at FT) and good flavor.

I do admit that other tanks that I've tried (Kayfun clone, nebula wine and can't remember the other one) did have a little better flavor. However, I much prefer the ease and convenience of the replaceable RBA.

Extra RBA's can still be found at Fasttech. The (original complete) tanks are no longer available. With an original base and RBA (highly suggested over the clone), bell cap and drip tip, you could make you own for less.

I have several of the original tanks and enough parts to make several more. Can you tell I like them? ;)

aliceisinwonderland

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
Northern CA
I like the STM. Clearomizers - Kangertech - Subtank - DesertVapes (They also sell the Top Tank Mini which allows for top filling.)

Easy to coil and wick, adjustable air flow (I toddle puff @ 1.8 ohms), replaceable RBA (cheaper at FT) and good flavor.

I do admit that other tanks that I've tried (Kayfun clone, nebula wine and can't remember the other one) did have a little better flavor. However, I much prefer the ease and convenience of the replaceable RBA.

Extra RBA's can still be found at Fasttech. The (original complete) tanks are no longer available. With an original base and RBA (highly suggested over the clone), bell cap and drip tip, you could make you own for less.

I have several of the original tanks and enough parts to make several more. Can you tell I like them? ;)
Thanks for that Rickb119! I have read of people channeling out and having wicking/burnt flavor trips with this tank. Do you think their builds are the culprit or what? Isolated issues? Not sure.

Reactions: Rickb119

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Thanks for that Rickb119! I have read of people channeling out and having wicking/burnt flavor trips with this tank. Do you think their builds are the culprit or what? Isolated issues? Not sure.
I've never had any problems with wicking (rayon). I vape 70VG/30PG (more or less).

aliceisinwonderland

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
Northern CA
Hey PaulBHC, do you have a pic you could post to clarify? Thanks also for your posts!

Last edited:

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hi Folks! I have read and researched and am overwhelmed at the choices for tanks out there. I like to vape around 1.2 ohms 100% VG, prefer taste over clouds and a cooler vape. I would like a dependable daily driver that I can have multiple decks or rebuildable atomizers for travel purposes. Working in tiny spaces (coils) is not an issue for me. I have been recommended the Kayfun, that is a beautiful tank but may be a bit pricey for me. I know this is subjective but would truly appreciate what you have to say! Thank you!
You can pick up a Kayfun clone like I did for cheap, I have the SXK Kayfun 5 Mini, very well made, top fill, easy to coil, great flavor. My Kanger Subtank Mini sits on the shelf after that purchase :)

aliceisinwonderland

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
Northern CA
You can pick up a Kayfun clone like I did for cheap, I have the SXK Kayfun 5 Mini, very well made, top fill, easy to coil, great flavor. My Kanger Subtank Mini sits on the shelf after that purchase :)
Thanks David Wolf! Did you get your clone from Fasttech or?

Reactions: David Wolf

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Thanks David Wolf! Did you get your clone from Fasttech or?
I got it from fasttech. You can get Kayfun clones domestically though as well, just google. The V5 has an airier draw (adjustable) than the V2 and V3 so if you like a tighter draw for mouth to lung look at the V3, I believe it's 4ml, my SXK KF V5 mini is 2ml. There are other good brand clones besides the SXK out there :)

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Well, you did mention rebuildable coils in your OP. So I'm gonna plug my favorite tank. The eGo one series of tanks. Sizes from 1.8ml to 4ml. Variety of colors. Couple different styles. Has good variety of coil heads available including a rewickable, rebuildable coil head w/juice flow control called the CLR. The CLR comes in 2 versions .5ohm DTL and 1ohm MTL but the only real difference is airflow. I use the .5 for the open airflow but build it to 1.4. You can see my 2 eGo ONE Mega (4ml) in my avatar.

The tanks and coils have a great group of fans here if you need more info or have questions we'll be happy to help.

eGo ONE tank series – CLR coil

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Hi Alice.

For the style of Vaping you do, I think the Kanger SubTank/TopTank would be a Great Choice.

The RBA Section is Easy to Build on.
A Good Balance of Flavor and Vapor.
Spare Parts like Glass, Bases, Seals, etc are Very Easy to Find
And there are Tons of 3rd Party Parts/Accessories Available.

One thing I would Note about the RBA Section is there are/have been a Few Variations since the Initial Release.

The Original RBA (very Hard to find anymore) had e-Liquid inlet slots in the Deck. These Slots were Small. And most people running High VG e-Liquids needed to Enlarge these Slots to help with Wicking.

Then can RBA Sections that had e-Liquid Inlet Holes in the Side of the RBA Barrel. And some had Larger Holes (came with the SubTank?). Some had Small Holes (comes with the TopTank?).

Example.

TOPBOX-5-1024x683.jpg

I like the ones with the Larger Holes Myself. But some prefer the ones with the Smaller Holes.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think the top tank ones are the small hole and were devised to reduce flooding since you lose vacuum when top filling and the coil is still submerged.

That's kinda how I understand it.

I have Run both the Small Hole and the Large Hole versions. I prefer the Large hole version using "Snake in a Hole" wicking. But have had Good results with the Small hole version using Pancake wicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread