Oct 12, 2014

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
New York City
According to the article:

Rubenstein (lawyer) said FDNY fire marshals are examining the device, but will returned it to Gooding (burn victim) after completing their investigation.

Rubenstein called for the federal Food and Drug Administration to look at banning the sale of all e-cigarettes “until such time as the manufacturers figure out and correct product defects that cause these e-cigarettes to explode.”

He said there have been 97 cases of exploding e-cigs since 2009.

“At an appropriate time, after we’ve had the e-cigarette examined by our experts, we intend to pursue appropriate legal action and we will be getting custody of the e-cigarette.”

A photo of the tank's, the device's, and the batteries' packaging is included in the article and the battery boxes clearly shows a photo warning about placing batteries in a pocket or purse, yet they are considering filing a suit against the e-cig manufacturer and calling for the ban of all e-cigs due to possible "product defects"... Ya can't fix stupid. :facepalm:

Reactions: Kprthevapr

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Too bad we can't voice out true opinions on this ID-10-T and the loose batteries in his pocket. 6 batteries for one MOD? My RX200S lasts more than a day with constant chain vaping. I might bring another MOD with me but I have never seen the need to carry more batteries. Maybe if I am going away for a few days there is a need.

Reactions: Cheallaigh

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
Too bad we can't voice out true opinions on this ID-10-T and the loose batteries in his pocket. 6 batteries for one MOD? My RX200S lasts more than a day with constant chain vaping. I might bring another MOD with me but I have never seen the need to carry more batteries. Maybe if I am going away for a few days there is a need.
my spares are always in a case, even in the house they go into a 4 pack battery case... but i do usually have 2 mods with me at all times, a tank and a squonker, and both are turned off in my pockets separate from anything else.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Look, the fact is, exploding batteries are nothing new.
Its not confined to the vape industry.

Apple has already been through this with laptop batteries years ago.

If they had a snowballs chance in hell of using exploding batteries to ban a product, laptops and tablets would be the first to go, followed by smartphones.

It aint gonna happen.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
From a consumer safety standpoint, the days of bare 18650 cells being used in mods may be coming to an end in many main-steam devices. As with other electronics they will most likely continue to feature in vaping products in a protected form such as in battery packs or individual sealed units.
Regulated devices take much of the risk out of the equation but the human error element will always mean handling lithium cells in their current form carry's some risk for the uninformed.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
From a consumer safety standpoint, the days of bare 18650 cells being used in mods may be coming to an end in many main-steam devices. As with other electronics they will most likely continue to feature in vaping products in a protected form such as in battery packs or individual sealed units.
Regulated devices take much of the risk out of the equation but the human error element will always mean handling lithium cells in their current form carry's some risk for the uninformed.

Lol
Replaceable batteties in mods, as well as mechanicals are not going anywhere. Neither are specific to vaping.
A mech is a flashlight.
Just because a small section of society chooses to remain uneducated on safe usage, yet carelessly uses a tool, the rest of the world won't be punished for their actions.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
Of course you are correct, we will be able to purchase 18650's, as mainly a mech user I better not be punished for others carelessness but if safe usage requires education, I can see a time when manufacturers of devices will be put under pressure to make them much safer in general, idiotproof specifically because Joe Public just wants to vape instead of smoke, without needing to make any effort to educate themselves in the process.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Same reason they blame the gun.

But in this case it just ignorance. And the fact they are reporting on an incident not determining cause.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Difference is that a gun has no other real function than to kill.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Difference is that a gun has no other real function than to kill.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

The sole purpose of a gun is firing a projectile. Period.
I have lots of guns that get used quite alot.
None have ever killed a person.
Most have never killed anything...
except a cardboard target.
In fact, guns dont function at all on their own.

Of course you are correct, we will be able to purchase 18650's, as mainly a mech user I better not be punished for others carelessness but if safe usage requires education, I can see a time when manufacturers of devices will be put under pressure to make them much safer in general, idiotproof specifically because Joe Public just wants to vape instead of smoke, without needing to make any effort to educate themselves in the process.

Pressure from who?
Most gear is manufactured outside the US.
There isnt any legal precendent to redesign products because some users cant spend 5 minutes learning to use them properly.
A warning may be required, but no one will be "pressured" to redesign mods for the uneducated.

Reactions: Tagi

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
Look, the fact is, exploding batteries are nothing new.
Its not confined to the vape industry.

Apple has already been through this with laptop batteries years ago.

If they had a snowballs chance in hell of using exploding batteries to ban a product, laptops and tablets would be the first to go, followed by smartphones.

It aint gonna happen.
there was a time laptops were banned from air travel, i've posted the videos before, any battery can be an issue... people like to focus on the vaping aspect, forgetting the human factor as usual, and i've used that argument on a few. i practice battery safety, i don't abuse, store incorrectly, or over charge my batteries, and unlike a laptop i know exactly what batteries i am dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread