Which High Capacity 18650 is the Best? -- Shootout Bench Test Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

Bottom Line
    If you are vaping at more than 10W-12W or so, around 3A, you will get more vaping time using 3000mAh VTC6's, 30Q's, or HG2's than you will using any of the 3100mAh-3500mAh batteries.

This is due to the very high internal resistance of the over-3000mAh batteries which causes a lot of voltage sag. This forces the mod to signal weak/low battery sooner than when using lower internal resistance batteries like the VTC6, 30Q, or HG2. Even at discharge current/power levels as low as 5A/17W.

These over-3000mAh batteries are best suited for under-3A applications like flashlights and low power devices.

Batteries Tested
    LG HG2
    LG MJ1
    Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650B
    Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650BD
    Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650GA
    Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650PF
    Samsung 30Q
    Samsung 35E
    Sony VTC6

5A and 10A Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

10A Pulse-Current Voltages (first pulses on fully charged cells)
    image.png

To see how any of these cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...des-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    So it would seem that the 20 amp batteries are better than the higher capacity lower amp batteries in pretty much any vaping application. I've been trying to tell people that they shouldn't stare themselves blind on the capacity, that higher amp batteries will actually have more capacity in actual use at the amp draw we use them at.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    So it would seem that the 20 amp batteries are better than the higher capacity lower amp batteries in pretty much any vaping application. I've been trying to tell people that they shouldn't stare themselves blind on the capacity, that higher amp batteries will actually have more capacity in actual use at the amp draw we use them at.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Anything above about 12W-35W or so per battery, yes. The 10A high-capacity batteries can be a good choice if at moderate wattages in a three-battery mod though. 50W in a Reuleaux is a great fit for the NCR18650GA.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hi Mooch,
    I want to ask about what is the best battery type if I'm vaping at around 0.1-0.2 ohm on mecha?
    I have some choice like sony vtc 6, samsung 25R, LG HB6 and LG HG2
    Which one do you prefer?
    Thank you

Check my blog for a posting about choosing a battery for a mech. It depends on your priorities.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 1, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    This is the first time I am seeing these: √ 2Pcs/Box Anarchist IMR18650 40A/ 60A Battery

I know, I know chinese site selling batteries. Taken with a grain of salt. But then found a seller in Cali: Anarchist IMR18650 3.7V Battery 2pcs - Vapor Generics

Legit? The 40A/60A rating isn't helping their cause, but questioning (if real) why Anarchist would put their name on these.

@Mooch have you seen these before? I am tempted to by a couple sets if and would love to see the test results... Should I buy China or Cali (wanna test them this year or next; )

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    This is the first time I am seeing these: √ 2Pcs/Box Anarchist IMR18650 40A/ 60A Battery

I know, I know chinese site selling batteries. Taken with a grain of salt. But then found a seller in Cali: Anarchist IMR18650 3.7V Battery 2pcs - Vapor Generics

Legit? The 40A/60A rating isn't helping their cause, but questioning (if real) why Anarchist would put their name on these.

@Mooch have you seen these before? I am tempted to by a couple sets if and would love to see the test results... Should I buy China or Cali (wanna test them this year or next; )

It was my understanding that these were being pulled from the market for rewrapping/rerating months ago but I think one or more Chinese companies kept rewrapping using the old wraps and selling them.

Yes, the ratings are preposterous. :)

mr.puffincloudz

Aug 16, 2013
    California
    Hi mooch u are the king of batteries, I've narrowed my search down to two batteries. The sony vtc6 and vtc6a. I vape between 100-120w on a 2 cell 18650 snow wolf. My question is will I see a great performance difference between the two at this wattage, particularly run time. I value your opinion, Thanks for all u do for the vaping community.
    -Derek

mr.puffincloudz

Aug 16, 2013
    California
    Hi mooch u are the king of batteries. Im at an impass at the moment and narrowed my search down to two batteries, vtc6 and vtc5a. I currently vape between 100-120w on a 2 cell series 18650 snow wolf. My question is will I see a noticeable difference in performance between the two at this wattage, specifically run time. I value your opinion on the matter hopefully i can fimally make a choice betweeb the two with your help.Thanks for all u do for the vaping community.
    -Derek

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread