Do you buy pre mixed liquids or mix your own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgseed

Dec 18, 2009
CO
I make my own. Its really not all that difficult. I buy supplies from www.wizardlab.biz and make a 50ml batch for under $2usd. I generally make an 8ml test batch (seen left) to get my flavor concentrate to vg ratio correct and then make 50 ml batches (seen right) at a time. I make a batch at least a week ahead of when Ill need it, and try to let my batches steep for a month or more. Mmmmm, cheap clean homemade ejuice....living the dream.
IMG_20170108_122242_kindlephoto-57389163.jpg

Reactions: RainSong

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
Mix my own. Same flavor all the time. I make 250ml batches at a time. Lasts about 2 1/2 months. When I get to my last 90ml I make a new batch so it can steep some. This way I spend about an hours time. You could also make a base mix in this quantity and then flavor as you go. Easy Peasy! Don't make small batches and waste your time.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I've been mixing for around a month now, and do miss pre mixed.... less hassle
I mix 200 ml per batch which lasts me 4-5 weeks. I mix and use only 1 all in one flavor at 1% so I don't tire of it. Mixing time is not more than 20 minutes. The time is going down as I get more practiced. I don't worry about steeping but favor might improve over several days. I always give the storage bottle a shake when I'm handling it. VG is less boyant than PG or nic so there is some possibility of settling. Lately I'm keeping my mixed liquid in the refrigerator to see if it darkens more slowly. So far that seems to be true. The case for DIY is pretty strong. I only want a tiny amount of flavoring and my cost of ingredients is 1.2 cents per ml. The bottles I use for storage and dripping cost more than the liquid they hold. If you mix and rebuild and buy only what you need vaping is free.

Reactions: anavidfan

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
I buy pre mixed liquids AND mix my own. If I had to go to either/or, I'd go with mixing my own. One thing that tends to happen if you mix your own regularly is that a lot of the retail liquids just don't impress you that much anymore, so you end up being a lot more selective about the ones you do choose to spend (SO MUCH MORE) money on. I have a few pre-made liquids I absolutely adore in a "cold, dead hands" way, and will always keep trying new ones as a limited adventure in tasting new stuff -- but I don't need to buy retail to be able to vape, or to vape delicious mixes, which is very soothing.

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2016
I primarily mix my own but I also have so many store bought here at the moment I would have to count to know how many I have. Bottles bottles everywhere! 100 bottle of e-Liquids on the self 100 Bottles of......
ive came up with a really sweet grape one that I really like, ive made 100 mls of that, and saved the recipe, but Ive tried so many other combinations that a lot aren't working, I need some NET concentrates man they really are the ...., and I love them

Reactions: anavidfan

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2016
Amazing some of the things you come up with when bored of what your vaping. I tossed some Coconut Cream into a tank of Blue Raspberry recently that is now a new recipe. I also mix many stand alone flavors for doing just this my Mood Mixes!
I got blue raspberry and coconut, and some Bavarian cream, will throw them in to a mixture and see what happens lol

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
I've been mixing my own juice for 7 months & haven't bought any pre-mixed juice in 6 of those. I've found/developed a couple dozen recipes we really like over that time & keep 30/60/90mls around for when the mood strikes. My favorites are actually stand alone flavors I've found during my journey. Those, I usually mix a couple hundred mls at a time & vape most everyday. :cool:

(FW) Pralines & Cream, Butter Pecan @ 12%
(CAP) Vanilla Custard V1, Sugar Cookie V1 @ 10%, Cinnamon Danish Swirl V1 @ 12%
(INA) Custard @ 6%, Vanilla Shisha @ 10%

I have a sweet tooth, so I add 1% Sweetener (TFA) to everything... lol. :eek:

I generally have 15mls of various other things, (fruits, coconut, peanut butter to name a few), mixed @ known percentages to add to the stand alone's for variety.

I guess I've gotten lazy, but it's working... for us. :D

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2016
I like to use the finished stand alone flavors to experiment because it is easier to see what percentages work better instead of waiting for the flavors to infuse. Standalone flavors are shake and vape.
I ain't gunna lie I had some frosted donut + chocolate fudge, mixed them together and it was insane, added a little cotton candy as sweetner, 70/30

Reactions: mountaingal

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2016
I've been mixing my own juice for 7 months & haven't bought any pre-mixed juice in 6 of those. I've found/developed a couple dozen recipes we really like over that time & keep 30/60/90mls around for when the mood strikes. My favorites are actually stand alone flavors I've found during my journey. Those, I usually mix a couple hundred mls at a time & vape most everyday. :cool:

(FW) Pralines & Cream, Butter Pecan @ 12%
(CAP) Vanilla Custard V1, Sugar Cookie V1 @ 10%, Cinnamon Danish Swirl V1 @ 12%
(INA) Custard @ 6%, Vanilla Shisha @ 10%

I have a sweet tooth, so I add 1% Sweetener (TFA) to everything... lol. :eek:

I generally have 15mls of various other things, (fruits, coconut, peanut butter to name a few), mixed @ known percentages to add to the stand alone's for variety.

I guess I've gotten lazy, but it's working... for us. :D
if you're good at mixing, I can give you my entire list on flavours maybe you could help me with something you may have tried?

Bavarian Cream - Flavor West 30ml
Sugar Cookie - Flavor West 30ml
Marshmallow - Flavor West 30ml
Cake (Yellow) - Flavor West
Vanilla Custard - Flavor West
Strawberry Shortcake - Flavor West
DX Frosted Donut - Flavor Apprentice
DX Banana Cream - Flavor Apprentice
DX Bavarian Cream - Flavor Apprentice
DX Coconut - Flavor Apprentice 30ml
DX Milk Chocolate - Flavor Apprentice
Whipped Cream - Flavor West
Banana - Flavor Apprentice
Blue Raspberry - Flavor Apprentice
Cheesecake (Graham Crust) - Flavor Apprentice
Watermelon Candy - Flavor Apprentice
Grape Candy - Flavor Apprentice
Key Lime - Flavor Apprentice
Honey - Flavor Apprentice
Cotton Candy - Flavor Apprentice
Tutti-Frutti - Flavor Apprentice
Sugar Cookie V2
Vanilla Cupcake V2
Chocolate Fudge Brownie V2

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I've got a large box full of flavorings. I'm sure I spent more than $200 on flavoring alone. That was 3-4 years ago, so I hope they keep almost indefinitely. Most have never been opened, although some were opened simply to smell them, heh. The box smells wonderful when first opened after being closed for some time. I've also got on hand beakers, syringes, and brown glass storage bottles.

I use an xls calculator. But, honestly, I haven't got a lot of experience with the actual mixing. As you can see from my signature, I've been vaping for seven years. Mostly I've used commercially mixed stuff over that time. I've had some botched, unvapable, attempts. Maybe that's why I haven't done more mixing, kinda discouraged. Still, what landed me on this thread today is a renewed interest. Gonna try again. :)

Reactions: mountaingal

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
if you're good at mixing, I can give you my entire list on flavours maybe you could help me with something you may have tried?

Well, I'm certainly not an expert by any means & I don't have most of the flavors in your stash. A quick look gives me a few ideas for some simple mixes to try... YMMV.

Sugar Cookie V2 7%
DX Coconut 3%

Cotton Candy 10%
Blue Raspberry 3%

Strawberry Shortcake 10%
Whipped Cream 3%

DX Banana Cream 8%
Vanilla Cupcake V2 5%

Cheesecake (Graham Crust) 8%
Strawberry Shortcake 4%

DX Bavarian Cream 8%
Banana 2%

Hope this helps ya out. Good luck... :D

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
For me, buying juice for one week when I started vaping, I knew I wouldn't save any money over smoking unless I went to DIY. By week 3 I was mixing my own and haven't bought premade since. I made a few recipes in the beginning, with various success. Found a recipe I loved and can vape all day so I make it 120-240ml at a time. Waiting until I can afford a flavor order and have a few new recipes I want to try. I love to bake, cook and create delicious things so the time spent in mixing is fun to me in addition to being economical.

Reactions: dobroeutro

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
Mix my own, in the beginning it was a rough start with trying to decide what i liked and didnt like and ratios of flavoring from different suppliers to use. 3 years later i am all dialed in. I make ~4 liters every few months. I supply myself and my wife and go through a lot. 8 flavors minimum mixed in canning mason jars (after sterilizing same as you would for canning) 8 flavors i know i love to vape, then i usually make 2 trial/test flavors sometimes they land sometimes it is a gigantic fail, but the cost is so low that throwing out 400ml or even 800 ml if both test flavors fail, its not really a big deal.

TheTinMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2016
North Carolina
I haven't had a store bought mix in awhile. Once you find your flavor profile it gets pretty easy. I like Fuji Apple and dark for pipe mixes.

For about $100 you can get scales, flavors, nic, PG, and VG. 240ml mixed pays for your entire start up and you can mix a lot more than 240ml with your first order. After that it's down the rabbit hole with flavors and things to try.

Economically mixing your own is the way to go.

Reactions: RainSong
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread