Is firmware upgradeable really necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperyuan

Dec 27, 2016
Hi, guys!
I notice that lots of mods all acclaim that they support firmware upgradeable function. However, in my opinion, this function is not necessary as we may expect. I think functions of e-cig are relatively simple and fixed. The firmware upgradeable function is just useless to me. What's your opinion?

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Hi, guys!
I notice that lots of mods all acclaim that they support firmware upgradeable function. However, in my opinion, this function is not necessary as we may expect. I think functions of e-cig are relatively simple and fixed. The firmware upgradeable function is just useless to me. What's your opinion?

We had this discussion late last year... sorry, late '15, and I felt then as you do now.
I only had a couple of upgradeables in the mix and didn't really see the advantage.

Then came JoyeTech and their near insane affection for feature upgrades. :D
Actual, real, useful upgrades.

Tweaks get released, bugs get squashed, and real features are added.
Now we have at least two third party replacements for the entire interface, adding Escribe-like control and PC monitoring... and those would be impossible without USB upgradability.

Other makes are following the same model... SMOK, HohmTech, etc.
Not sure about P4Y though... they seem a bit phobic. :rolleyes:

It's not "necessary", especially with non-TC mods, and the latest round adds a complexity and flexibility that not everyone will be interested in... but it's not "useless". ;)

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Firmware upgradebility should be a feature on every regulated mod sold today. The tech progresses quickly and you shouldn't be forced to buy a new model to get a new feature that's introduced. Joyetech/Wismec/Eleaf mods such as the rx200 remain a valid option due to features such as ss tc and user set tcr whereas other mods without upgradebility released at the same time are useless for those who'd like to use tc on ss, nife etc. Of course, the manufacturer needs to actually release updates in order for the feature to be of any benefit.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

viperyuan

Dec 27, 2016
We had this discussion late last year... sorry, late '15, and I felt then as you do now.
I only had a couple of upgradeables in the mix and didn't really see the advantage.

Now we have at least two third party replacements for the entire interface, adding Escribe-like control and PC monitoring... and those would be impossible without USB upgradability.

It's not "necessary", especially with non-TC mods, and the latest round adds a complexity and flexibility that not everyone will be interested in... but it's not "useless". ;)
Thx. But why are the TC mode users more interested in firmware upgrade-ability? Can u give some specific examples about the upgraded new features or functions? Thx

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013

Thanks for this. Hadn't touched my cuboid in a few months now.

The new interface is interesting but the preheat function is really cool.

Hit higher my .75 ohm Clapton at nearly double the watts for .8-1 second then halve to heat the coil quickly and maintain. It's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Thx. But why are the TC mode users more interested in firmware upgrade-ability? Can u give some specific examples about the upgraded new features or functions? Thx
Tc is a feature that's still very much evolving. Improved accuracy and the possibility to do tc with different materials are something that firmware updates can provide, whereas vw is less likely to see much improvement. Then again, we have things such as preheat recently added to Joyetech/Wismec/Eleaf mods. For example, the vw of the sigelei 213 works fine (it seems) but tc doesn't. If sigelei had firmware updates it could make the mod into a fully functional one.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015

Sure.
Because pure Power/Wattage Mode is what it is... it does what it does and that's all there is.
Though updates such as interface changes, preheat and power bumps benefit all users (unless you have a JoyeTech and they've screwed up the layout... again. :p )

TC has multiple variables in the mix and not all TC mods come from the factory with all the bells and whistles. There are also parameters and capabilities that weren't even available in a budget mod when the product was released, but that can be added through firmware updates.

For example... additional dedicated wire "Modes" such as Stainless now or Titanium before that.
And the ability to adjust the TCR for either a better vape or for an entirely different wire type... NiChrome as well as all the variations of SS come to mind.

The new introduction of third party control/monitoring software is just a bonus. ;)

eta: Plus what Ken said while I was typing. :D

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
While firmware updates can at times be helpful but other times they are not necessary due to the way one person uses their device. Received my Aster RT22 yesterday that has one very interesting feature I have not seen before and that is a factory reset button for if/when an update fails. I must say that a restore feature is a very good idea and addition to the technology.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
If you have a smok alien it is. Bc they need to fix all the bugs bc there a pos company that can't just get it right the first time. After two updates it still gives an ohm to low message in ss tc if your build is under 0.1. Rant over

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
How much under? The Alien has a ss tc limit of .06Ω. And why would you need to build that low anyway. Tc is more accurate with a higher resistance.

skiball

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
How much under? The Alien has a ss tc limit of .06Ω. And why would you need to build that low anyway. Tc is more accurate with a higher resistance.

Did you take the time to read my post, obviously not. Anything under 0.1 reads ohms to low and yes i want to build lower than 0.1.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Did you take the time to read my post, obviously not. Anything under 0.1 reads ohms to low and yes i want to build lower than 0.1.

Absolutely not what? I simply stated that the lowest resistance in tc, according to the manufacturer, is .06Ω.

skiball

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
Absolutely not what? I simply stated that the lowest resistance in tc, according to the manufacturer, is .06Ω.

What? Really? The first thing you write is "How much under?". Which i clearly stated in my op. If your trying to give me advice thanks but if you'd read my op you'd known the point's moot.

Reactions: SteveS45

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
What? Really? The first thing you write is "How much under?". Which i clearly stated in my op. If your trying to give me advice thanks but if you'd read my op you'd known the point's moot.

It was an honest question, and some honest. You'll notice that undue hostility won't get you very far here.

abn75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
mobile, al, United States

Um actually you didn't. You simply said under .1 ohm. How much under is a valid question. Are you trying to go to .09, or are you trying to go to .01. Big difference there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Hi, guys!

I agree 100% , i have mods that are firmware upgradeable but never bought them for that and never upgraded them.

Reactions: Foggy Road
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread