Sanyo 20700A 30A 3100mAh 20700 Bench Test Results...a great performing 30A 3100mAh battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    The Sanyo 20700A is the second newly available 20mm x 70mm cell I have tested. The first was the 20700B (Sanyo 20700B 4000mAh 20700 Bench Test Results...a peek at the future?), a great high capacity cell I rated at 15A 4000mAh. At 10A-15A it runs about 25% longer than the LG HG2.

This 20700A is a true high performance cell that I am rating at a cool-running 30A 3100mAh. It performed well against the top 18650 cells for performance, vaping time, and safety (high amp rating). The 20700A...

...hits as hard as the Sony VTC5A at the start and easily holds its voltage up higher for considerably longer.

...runs about 20% longer than the VTC6 at 20A continuous down to 3.2V.

...runs 5°C cooler than the LG HB6 at 20A continuous and for about 230% longer. Yes, 230%.

While this cell will only fit in a custom battery sled it did just fit in the xtar and Efest chargers I tested it in. I cannot say if it will fit in any 18650 charger. Otherwise it's charged at 4.2V just like our 18650's. It's "standard" charging rate is 2.2A so 2A charging is no problem and won't decrease its overall life.

Here's the datasheet: https://www.imrbatteries.com/content/sanyo_ncr20700a.pdf

The two cells I tested were donated by IMRBatteries (www.imrbatteries.com). Thank you!

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulse-Current Test Results
    image.png image.png

Comparison against other batteries
    image.png

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached 2941mAh. This is good performance for a 3100mAh cell at 10A so I am rating it at 3100mAh.
    • At 30A continuous the temperature rose to 75°C. This is just below the average temperature for a cell being discharged at its continuous discharge rating (CDR) but the datasheet seems to show a higher sensitivity to temperature than our 18650's so I am not giving it a rating above 30A.
    • I am setting a CDR of 30A for this cell. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage, I would expect decent cycle life at 30A continuous.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...afety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7566/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...des-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...fety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7554//

Last edited by a moderator:

Epsilonsama

Dec 26, 2016
    Are there any off the shelf mods that will be able to use this?

The size increase is not that huge compared to 18650 so in theory you could get a tube mod and grind it so it fits the battery.

But it would be better to just grab some parts from home depot or any store that sells copper tubing and make a custom tube mod for it.

david4500

ECF Veteran
    Jun 13, 2013
    While this cell will only fit in a custom battery sled...

:)

TL78WlI.png

...it did just fit in the Xtar and Efest chargers I tested it in. I cannot say if it will fit in any 18650 charger.

Nitecore i2 & i4, these 20700 cells JUST fit (negative contact fully extended, zero wiggle room). Got a BT-C3400 recently which has a longer slot length, accommodates the longer cell length just fine and there is still room for the negative contact to travel. Just ordered a SkyRC MC3000. In it's list of supported cells sizes are 20700 and 21700. Looking forward to giving that charger a try and hope it's a nice fit also.

lvon

Feb 11, 2017
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Are there any off the shelf mods that will be able to use this?
    I have an authentic broadside tube mod, which has a delrin protective inner sleeve.
    When i take out the sleeve and measure, it looks like it is exactly 20mm in diameter.
    I'm thinking that of these batteries might fit inside, when the sleeve is removed. Unfortionately I don't have a 20700 to test it with.
    The threads on the topcap seem to be exactly long enough that one could fit a 70mm battery, with the threads almost losing eachother. That might ofcourse compromise conductivity though.
    Also the floating pin protrudes around 4mm. If one could mill another pin, millimeters could spared here (the current pin is silver coated, so I don't think sanding it down would be feasible).
    Don't hold me accountable, but I think that the broadside might do it in a pinch - atleast in with. :p

Last edited:

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 22, 2015
    Will definitely be looking in to a mech for that beauty!

The size increase is not that huge compared to 18650 so in theory you could get a tube mod and grind it so it fits the battery.

But it would be better to just grab some parts from home depot or any store that sells copper tubing and make a custom tube mod for it.

I cant think of any tube mods that are loose enough to fit an extra 2mm diameter of the cell.

• Agree
    Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

lvon

Feb 11, 2017
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    ...hits as hard as the Sony VTC5A at the start and easily holds its voltage up higher for considerably longer.
    It is interesting though, that in the 30A pulse tests, which is around where most people would use these, the vtc5a initially comes down to just shy of 3,6V. While the Sanyo 20700A immediately sags down to 3,5V.
    It seems that the vtc5a does hit harder at those amperages.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    It is interesting though, that in the 30A pulse tests, which is around where most people would use these, the vtc5a initially comes down to just shy of 3,6V. While the Sanyo 20700A immediately sags down to 3,5V.
    It seems that the vtc5a does hit harder at those amperages.

But only for a short time.
    The NCR20700A then stays at a higher voltage for a lot longer. You can see this in both the pulsed and constant-current discharge graphs.

For these two batteries, hitting harder depends on what power levels the person vapes at. But looking at all the discharges, at different rates and for the entire discharge, the NCR700A is the overall harder hitter. There are sweet spots where, for a while, the VTC5A hits harder but then the Sanyo wins out due to its higher capacity. That makes sense of course as it's a bigger battery. :)

Last edited:

Ben85

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Really?! Wow, that sounds like a pretty thick delrin sleeve! I dont have a broadside but now Im kinda wanting one. The delrin sleeve just sounds like a good idea to have, do you find it useful or just gimmicky?

It's not really something useful as such, it's an added safety feature to avoid shorts due to torn battery wraps.

Reactions: Darth Omerta
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread