Blu Sucks! ...or does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefox335

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2010
Ohio
Okay, here is my honest review of the Blu. It's the only e-cigarette I own and I've had it for about a month. I've read/seen reviews that praise it as the best thing since sliced bread. Yet other reviews slam it for sucking more than your average Hoover. The truth , as with most things, is somewhere in the middle.

The CONS:

1. Battery life. yeah, the battery life is terribe. 30-45 min?

2. The carts SUCK. That's my opinion and I used 4 of each flavor. To me the Java Jolt tasted like coffee. The Classic tobacco tasted like... coffee. the Vivid Vanilla tasted like... coffee and the Cherry Crush tasted like... tasted like... what's the word??? Oh yeah... coffee! The Menthol (although it didn't taste quite like menthol) at least tasted minty and was pretty tasty.

3. The vapor production sucks. Well, at least with the stock carts - I'll address this again in the PROs.

4. The batteries can be very sensitive. Use caution when vaping around electrical equipment. I vaped at a friends apartment in close proximity to a very large wireless computer server and afterward my batteries were FRIED. (They would activate on their own and became sensitive to the SLIGHTEST vibration - got so bad that everytime I drove I would have to take them out of the blu pack and set them on the passenger's seat and had my own little light show inside my car as they continually went off.)

and now...

The PROS:

1. Price. At 59.95 almost anyone can afford them.

2. They are refillable. Once I started refilling my Blu, I really fell in love with it.

3. Vapor Production is awesome! That is once you start refilling your carts and do a simple PTB mod.

4. The Blu Pack is awesome. So far, I've been able to get 7 charges out of an unconnected Blu Pack. Enough to get me home so that I can plug it back in and charge it up again.

5. The batteries are resiliant. although they got fried. I didn't have replacements and had to keep using them. Today, I put them on the drivers side seat as I have for the past 4 days and noticed that they didn't go off once. Not on the ride to work and not on the way home.

6. They LOOK like a cigarette! I know that this isn't important to a lot of people on this forum, but for me, the "screwdriver PVs" just won't cut it. You may get loger battery life, better TH, better flavor and all of that, but it's bad enough looking like you're smoking a cigarette in public without looking like you're smoking a CRACK PIPE!

Okay, so that's my review based on my own personal experience. Are they the greatest? I doubt it. Are they as horrible as people make them out to be? Definately not. I think they are a great and affordable way to introduce yourself to vaping. And although I'll be in the market soon for a 510, I still plan to keep and use my Blu. To quote TripleSlevin from the Vapor Dojo, "If you are into vaping, you can never own too many cigarettes in the first place."

:thumbs:

MarthaT

Moved On
Jul 23, 2009
  • Deleted by AngusATAT
  • Reason: spam

researcheverything

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2010
Texas
I was kind of afraid that after I had it for more than a month I would see all the problems and be out 60 bucks.......

I had a couple attys give me fits and a battery too..... Funny thing that one year warranty thing.... They actually send you stuff for free when you send stuff to them! Perish the thought that they might actually stand behind their product. WOW

So, here I am with 4 attys and 4 batteries. I spent 30 bucks extra to have enough supplies so that when one pair goes down or T.U. either way I can send em items and get stuff in return that works as advertised.

Right now I have 4 good batts and attys and I do mean good! My wife is vaping a Luci and the atty from the Blu actually works better than the Luci in hers. So that means I have 3 attys and she has 1 :)

The biggest pro I have come across is that it takes 1 1/2 week turnaround from Blu for anything that breaks. They are 2 for 2.... I want to see if they can keep that up for the year that they say they are willing to. If they keep up with their current record with me, next year I will just have to buy another PCC so I can go another year without having to buy any extras.

The only mod right now is the fluval polishing foam mod. It wicks great and as long as I keep my attys clean (or replaced for free for a year) I don't see any other needs.

I am accidentally responsible for them selling 4 more to a couple of co-workers because they watched me go from 2 pks/day to zero acoustic cigarettes! That's the real plus.....

It is definitely advanced smoking that we have taken up folks. But then again, I used to roll my own at a cost of $2 per pack $4 per day. I am now with refilling spending $1 per day. Thats is the real pro right there.

Just my 2 cents..... damn that's a drop of juice right there. Must regain that!

Mark

dshack

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
It was my first kit also. So frustrated with the negatives you pointed out, I returned the kit under the money back guarantee.

I now have a Joye eGo. No comparison! Like night and day. That eGo just goes on and on and on, like the Eveready bunny

RadicalJD

Dido! I returned my Blu for a refund. The only good thing I can say about Blu is it got me into vaping! The biggest problem with this product are the vast number of potential converts that get turn off to vaping by it!!!

Last edited:

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
I haven't touched mine in over a month. Once I got my Vapor King from V4L, there was really no comparison.

That is probably the most drastic turnaround I've ever seen in my life.

:D

My mom is disabled and doesn't have very steady hands so I'm probably going to pick her up a Blu simply because it seems easy to use. Refilling carts and whatnot just ain't happening.

radicaljd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
That is probably the most drastic turnaround I've ever seen in my life.

:D

My mom is disabled and doesn't have very steady hands so I'm probably going to pick her up a Blu simply because it seems easy to use. Refilling carts and whatnot just ain't happening.

It's not that easy to use. It's a pain to screw and unscrew the batteries from the blu pack. The carts have this foil piece that requires fiddling. Bad news all around

I would get your mom a product like the eGo and prefilled cartomizers so she doesn't have to mess with liquids.

researcheverything

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2010
Texas
Now that we are at 4 months running..... I have almost completely gone over to the dark side of dripping. It takes a little more liquid to make it through the day .... but wow! The Blu is a dripping master. The vapor production is totally different when dripping. I was forced into this when they changed their atty design and made the bridge longer. The last replacements they sent were the longer bridge style and seemed to never pick up liquid properly. I went and attempted dripping just to see if I could hang. Oops....... now I'm hooked. Gonna pick up some drip tips and just make pure lemon juice. No lemonade for me. This is still the right choice for me. It has been since the 25th of May. Now I am non-paper from 2 packs a day......... much much cheaper.

Do what's right for you and you can't go wrong.

Oh yeah .... edit here.......... Don't forget the warranty period is 1 year.

forthwith

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I think blu's big problem is the learning curve.. I started with blu,then a 401, got a 510, then a 510 mod, then felt like a crackhead and got a vapor king, one year into my vaping hobby, just about everything eventually wore out and now I'm back to the blu! got totally sick of the burnt 510 carts, the expensive kr808 cartomizers, manual batteries that fire in my pockets, 808 batteries that go with this cart and not that one, etc.. At this point the tiny cheap disposable carts and 5 dollar atties are rocking my world. If only they shipped faster.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
It's great seeing both sides of this little e-cig... so many people bash them and frankly its undeserved. I had a Blu that I used for a while, I liked it a lot, but for me, it wasn't enough... however that by no means translates to I hated it!

I think of the Blu as a "gateway" e-cig... They spend MILLIONS on advertising and they do even more millions in sales! They bring a LOT of folks to the vaping community. Some move up to more power, others never move up and feed the juice vendors. Does it turn some people off to vaping? Perhaps so... but I feel it more than likely turns more people ON to it than off...

Is it the worst e-cig out there? Not by a long-shot. Is it the best? Well... no... but it IS a reasonably affordable product that offers a lot of value to the newly initiated and while it's not for everybody... NOTHING is!

The Blu is a product that should not be overlooked when considering a first or even continuing vape. Frankly, I was more disappointed by the eGo than the Blu... There's so much eGo hype on these forums that it had no chance of living up to it's reputation... You can't get through a newb thread without somebody chiming in about how great it is... even in this thread it's been mentioned. I contend that even though these forums are loaded with that exact advice it's because the people making those suggestions are relatively new to this themselves... When I got my eGo I remeber thinking... "ummm... ok, it's better... but if this is what they've been raving about then eCigs may not be for me... Yeah, I'm a big mod guy these days, and the eGo sits there unused. I'm not impressed at all. It's a 510 with a weak performing, longer lasting battery... big whoop.

But all these big-cigs and mods are quirky, with everybody chasing that ever-elusive sweet spot of maximum vapor/hit/flavor... it's enough to drive a guy mad. The Blu is the Blu... it has moments of GREATNESS, and moments of disappointment as well... Well guess what folks... They ALL have the ability to disappoint on some level. At least the Blue is relatively inexpensive... and when it's on... it's a pretty happening little e-cig.

Just MY 2cents...

Last edited:

yohann976

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
Deer Park, WA
Now that we are at 4 months running..... I have almost completely gone over to the dark side of dripping. It takes a little more liquid to make it through the day .... but wow! The Blu is a dripping master. The vapor production is totally different when dripping. I was forced into this when they changed their atty design and made the bridge longer. The last replacements they sent were the longer bridge style and seemed to never pick up liquid properly. I went and attempted dripping just to see if I could hang. Oops....... now I'm hooked. Gonna pick up some drip tips and just make pure lemon juice. No lemonade for me. This is still the right choice for me. It has been since the 25th of May. Now I am non-paper from 2 packs a day......... much much cheaper.

Do what's right for you and you can't go wrong.

Oh yeah .... edit here.......... Don't forget the warranty period is 1 year.

I agree with you 100% about dripping. Once I started doing that with my Blu, it really started hitting hard. I'm about to get a new e-cig, but I'm still keeping my Blu. I'll probably use my new e-cig most of the time when working or just hanging around the house, but I'll bring my Blu with me whenever I go out with friends. Hell, I even go outside with them when they smoke while I'm vaping with my "alien" cigarette, lol.

P.S. I've been heavily vaping with my Blu e-cigs for ever 2 months without a problem at all. The only problem that I currently encountering is that the batteries aren't lasting as long anymore (not that they lasted that long in the first place).

Last edited:

patrickmurphy

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2010
san francisco
I still love my Blu ecigs. I have quite a collection of them. It was my first and I've since added several other makes to my arsenal, but I'd never get rid of the Blus. I'm glad I got a whole bunch of the old style carts too because once they're empty, they are the easiest of any brand to use as testers for new juices. I drip with some, I have some with blue foam, some with the original wicking material, some with Volcano attys (which is an awesome combo, BTW).

Last edited:

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
I don't agree with the comment about "vape sucks with the stock cartomizers." I get MAD LOADS of vape from the stock cartomizers from Blu...I MEAN MAD AMOUNTS! You must not be inhaling correctly (long/slow drags-not fast and quick!) I've had so much clouds I could barelly see my TV!

I do agree about battery life and would have to dramitcally lower what you said, I would say a good 20 minutes is all you get from the batteries before they need to be recharged.

I thought like you did about not wanting the larger E-Cig devices, but realized last night I was fed up with having to charge batteries so often...I've decided to use Blu in social gatherings only and get a larger device for home use like a Joye or something like that...who cares if it doesn't have a glow LED on it, it will be for home use...I don't need to put on shows in my own house.:)

My cat is not impressed one way or the other.

researcheverything

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2010
Texas
Quick update as I am way past smoking acoustic cigarettes.

1000 MaH E-Go with a low res atty and a drip tip. In restaurants, Blu with a drip tip and low res 510 atty or stock atty and drip tip. Vaping lots of Ms T's juices. So, I have taken the next step for me and have gotten past having to have a "cigarette" looking and feeling device. Now to just make a "hookah" looking thing to play around with and be a "stoner"....... OK maybe just teasing a tad, but my Blu sits mostly idle but goes everywhere with me 'cause I know I can trust it if all else fails. I have gone past the warranty period, so no more new attys for free. But, after I figured out how to work everything they don't break as much as before. Now it's kinda like choosing between a cigar and a cigarette.

...... also as a note, dripping with an auto battery is an art form..... do NOT over drip, 2 drops until you lose flavor and no more. The auto batts don't like getting sticky internally.

and another note.... low res attys are just a little different in their own right. Be careful not to let them get too dry, kinda the opposite of dripping with an auto battery. If you drip using an auto batt and a low res atty, there is a very fine line. Get used to your equipment before you attempt this. Or at least have someone really close to help guide you down the dark path.

Final two cents worth:
Do what is right for you. We will always be looking for that perfect cigarette (yes these are still cigarettes, just not paper ones) as in the old days when we were all looking for that perfect brand of smokey treats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread