Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Although it's common knowledge that the optimal way to store nic base is in glass, with minimal head space, in the freezer, a repeated theme in some of the "stocking up" threads has been that some folks either don't have a freezer at all, or aren't willing to keep their nic base in whatever freezer they do have for various reasons. The question that then arises is: How much difference does it temperature really make? Although I have a dedicated freezer for my nic base, I decided it would be interesting to find out. So...

Yesterday, I dug a couple of bottles of nic base out of my freezer. I bought this nic back in April of 2014 (when the Deeming Reg proposal was first published). It came in #1 PET plastic bottles. Since I had not yet started DIY'ing and didn't yet have my own freezer, I stuck them in my wife's big chest freezer "for a rainy day", where they got buried and more-or-less forgotten about. We found them again 2-1/2 years later and they got moved to my freezer with the rest of the nic I'd accumulated in the meanwhile. Given that it was in plastic rather than glass, I was worried that this nic would no longer be any good, so I decided to mix up a batch of my usual unflavored base with it and was pleasantly surprised that the nic was just fine.

Anyway, the nic being used in this experiment is a month shy of 3 years old. WL claims to argon-purge their nic, which probably helps, but the dark brown bottles it was in aren't suitable for repeated evaluation of color changes over time, and besides, most people re-bottle their nic in glass prior to storage, so I decided I would re-bottle this in a couple of clear class bottles with polycone caps. Here it is, fresh from the freezer yesterday:

CsSNBnB.jpg

I let it come to room temperature overnight, and today, I rebottled it in the clear glass bottles:

kduTX7z.jpg

As you can see, it has just a slight tinge of straw color.

The bottle marked "F" is now back in my freezer, while the bottle marked "RT" is on a shelf, at room temperature, in a tin box (to keep out light) with a bunch of other e-liquid.

Sjg5D5Y.jpg

I'll be back to update this thread periodically. My intention is to take pics of the two bottles side-by-side every few months to see whether the one being kept at room temperature changes (darkens) more than the one being kept in the freezer.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I will be very interested to see your results. The milestone points should be 3, 6, 9 and 12 months.
Yep, I was thinking along the same lines, but.. This experiment is being conducted in PA and I abscond to Florida for extended periods with some regularity, so the milestones will have to occur when I'm actually here.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm sure there will be some color change, certainly in the RT bottle (I notice it in my little 30 ml 100 mg nic bottle I keep in my flavorings stash to have around for mixing. What would be really interesting would be to not only look at the difference in color, but actually measure the nic concentration to see if there's any difference over time. It's a pretty simple pH titration test, and I think WL even sells an inexpensive kit for it.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm sure there will be some color change, certainly in the RT bottle (I notice it in my little 30 ml 100 mg nic bottle I keep in my flavorings stash to have around for mixing. What would be really interesting would be to not only look at the difference in color, but actually measure the nic concentration to see if there's any difference over time. It's a pretty simple pH titration test, and I think WL even sells an inexpensive kit for it.
I may do that at the very end (whenever that is) but I'd like to let this run for at least a year without opening the bottles, since opening the bottles periodically to withdraw samples would allow fresh air (and oxygen) in.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Thanks for the testing!
Where did you find the white cap shrink seal?
I've been using plumbers Teflon tape.
It's not shrink seal; it's white electrical tape, two wraps, pulled nice and tight. I keep it around because it's easy to write on using a Sharpie and it comes off glass surfaces relatively cleanly. I like to re-use my glass bottles without having to use a strong solvent to remove the adhesive residues that most label materials leave behind.

In this case, it's primarily a reminder to me not to open the caps willy-nilly.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks, Rossum! This will be interesting. I'm one who has procrastinated in getting my nic rebottled and into the freezer. It's still water clear after about 6 months away from light in the original bottle, FWIW.

I agree that it should be frozen for long life and usability. My two liters is projected to last 18 years at my projected usage rates at 3%.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Update, two weeks in:

I pulled the bottle that was in the freezer and it immediately picked up a thin layer of frost. I didn't want to want to leave out any longer than necessary to snap a pic, so it does look frosty. Nonetheless, it's quite apparent that there's a color difference between them. The camera and lighting conditions do exaggerate the difference a bit compared to what I see with my eyes, but even with the naked eyeballs, this difference is quite apparent.

F7xJ0fb.jpg

ETA: You can also see how much the "frozen" nic has contracted if you compare the level in this pic to the level in the pic in the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread