Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Use temp control and dont go above 450Fish if you want to minimize exposure.

OK, they published this data publicly now about the spike of formaldehyde and Acetaldehyde (both carcinogens) spiking way up past safe levels starting around 470F-480F.

Temperature Control is IMPORTANT folks!

Start about 6 minutes in:

Turns out VG is worse than PG with regards to formaldehyde:

Significant amounts of toxic carbonyl compounds can be created when common e-liquid solvents—i.e., PG, GL, or their mixture—are heated at high temperature, either intentionally by users to get more aerosol or accidently due to overheating. GL produced much more formaldehyde than PG under our testing conditions

A Device-Independent Evaluation of Carbonyl Emissions from Heated Electronic Cigarette Solvents

Even tootle puffers at 10W are reaching temps above 470F

upload_2017-3-5_19-52-49-png.639173

This is PG, carcinogen level starts rising around 480F

This is VG, carcinogens start rising around 410F

This is our common 50/50 pg/vg mix, carcinogens start rising at around 470F

The rise in carcinogens above 470F exceeds what is available in regular cigarettes.

upload_2017-3-5_20-42-33-png.639193

Below 470 the levels are negligible.

ETA:
This thread stirred a lot of controversy. In an attempt to actually prove, based on "sound" technique, what was going on inside our attys, a series of tests were performed. Here is a list of links you might find interesting:

Formaldehyde Levels in a real atty under real conditions.
Best Practices to avoid high temps on VV/VW mods.
VV & VW Mod Temperature Variables
Capillary action of silica vs rayon
Actual temperatures inside a Vivi Nova on both VV and VW devices.
Actual temperature inside VW Tootle Puffer rig.
Juice Boiling Point and Vaping Temperatures
Real Life temp measurements inside a 2016 era atty

Last edited by a moderator:

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Thank you for posting this information. I tried watching it yesterday and not ashamed to admit that it's pretty much over my head and having difficulty understanding it. I don't use TC mode so not sure if that has me dumbed down to what they are talking about.
The take away from this is that if you don't use TC mode you should probably consider using it, and keep your temp setting as low as you can while still delivering a vape you enjoy and that keeps you from smoking analogs. Depending on the device/tank/build I have always vaped between 400 and 460.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
The take away from this is that if you don't use TC mode you should probably consider using it, and keep your temp setting as low as you can while still delivering a vape you enjoy and that keeps you from smoking analogs. Depending on the device/tank/build I have always vaped between 400 and 460.
I use kanthal wire so how should I use TC mode with that? I use 28g with 8 wraps on 2.5 jig that gives me 1.6 ohms that I vape at 12w.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I use kanthal wire so how should I use TC mode with that? I use 28g with 8 wraps on 2.5 jig that gives me 1.6 ohms that I vape at 12w.
The only mods I know of that can do TC with Kanthal are the Hohm Tech mods. I have 4 of the G2's but haven't tried Kanthal on them yet. I am currently using SS316 in all 5 of my mods that are in daily rotation.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Is Evolve going to regulate their boards now?
Evolv has always regulated their boards. The current generation has a limit of 600F which still is unsafe according to that data. It is up to the User to dial in safe settings.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013

There is only one vendor that I know of (Hohm Wrecker) who sells Mods that will Temp Control kanthal. Most TC mods you simply cant use kanthal if you want temp control.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
BTW, most of this information came out of:

Committee on the Review of the Health Effects of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS): An Information-Gathering Workshop
2/21/17 - Welcome : Health and Medicine Division

Click the PLUS buttons to see the collection of about 20 videos:
upload_2017-3-5_20-37-24-png.639191

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
There is only one vendor that I know of (Hohm Wrecker) who sells Mods that will Temp Control kanthal. Most TC mods you simply cant use kanthal if you want temp control.
I don't want to use TC mode, but I'm getting the feeling that I have to if I want to be safe and stay away from kantal altogether.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013

The best way I heard it put was like this:
the bottom line is you need to know the temperature to be in control of what's going on in there. You don't cook, or bake, based on how much smoke comes off the stove, do you?

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
So the only solution is to make SS-316 coils since ni-200 and Titanium are not risk free wires...
To my knowledge, the hazards associated with those wires are also temp related. Bad stuff doesnt start happening until you get well above the temps we are talking about here.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Well I guess if that's the case than no one should use mechs than. This is all so confusing. :(

Mechs, particularly with a fresh battery, are probably one of the riskier devices. You simply dont have any control over what temps you are hitting.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
Well I guess if that's the case than no one should use mechs than. This is all so confusing. :(
Everybody relax.
Its not like your setup turns into a Carbonyl-spitting monster even if you don't use TC. As long as there is enough liquid on the wick and enough airflow, it cools down on itself without TC anyway.
I have not yet seen a serious analysis (one that does not dry burn the hell out of the atty) that detects more then trace amounts of Form/Acetaldehyde and I work in this field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread