iJoy 40A 3000mAh 20700 Bench Test Results...overrated but a good 30A battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 20700/21700, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

IMG_4977.JPG IMG_4978.JPG IMG_4979.JPG IMG_4980.JPG IMG_4981.JPG

Bottom Line
    This is an overrated 20700 cell (20mm diameter x 70mm length) that performs well but not quite as well as the Sanyo NCR20700A. Its appearance is similar to the Panasonic/Tesla cell, with its 5-leg top contact, but I cannot confirm that this is indeed the Panasonic cell. There are differences in the top crimp seal and tooling marks.

This iJoy uses a multilayer paper top ring insulator that should not be exposed to juice or otherwise it could swell and soften, possibly increasing the risk of the insulator being damaged when put into or removed from a device or charger.

I am rating this iJoy at 30A and 3000mAh.

My thanks to Evolution vaping for donating the two cells for testing!
    (Ijoy 20700 40AMP Battery - Evolution Vaping)

Continuous-Current Test Results
    IMG_4974.PNG

The Tesla 20700 Cell For Comparison
    IMG_4937.JPG

Pulse-Current Test Results
    IMG_4976.PNG IMG_4975.PNG

Comparison to the 30A 3000mAh Sanyo NCR20700A
    IMG_4973.PNG

Comments
    • At 10A continuous this cell delivered almost 2850mAh. This typical for a high-performance 3000mAh cell so I am rating it at 3000mAh.
    • Its temperature of 78°C at 30A continuous is the average for cells being operated at their rating so I am rating this cell at 30A.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 30, 2015
    ON. Canada
    Wish these were true 40 amp. We need some true 40a cells in vaping but I am eager to see where these head
    How we use them, 40A should be fine, 30A is the constant discharge rate, like if you were to drain the battery all in one shot, we pulse the batteries so they have time to cool down, that's why mooch sets max vaping amps (MVA) higher than CDR. Personally I'd probably stay closer to a maximum of 35 so the cell lasts a bit longer.

ApolloKen

Apr 1, 2017
    Mobile, AL
    How we use them, 40A should be fine, 30A is the constant discharge rate, like if you were to drain the battery all in one shot, we pulse the batteries so they have time to cool down, that's why mooch sets max vaping amps (MVA) higher than CDR. Personally I'd probably stay closer to a maximum of 35 so the cell lasts a bit longer.
    Yep it'd probably raise the pulse limit too tho and chain vaping wouldn't be as big of a problem with lower builds. Curious to see what comes out in the future.

• Creative
    Reactions: Strtsmthng

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    It's a conspiracy to get us all to buy new mods:)
    I suppose new mods that can take this battery could also have an adapter so 18650's would still work. In the mean time a 30 amp rating is irrelevent to me. I'm not going above about 25 watts. This size might be relevent to me if it had significantly more than 3,000 mah and may be got that via a lower 15 amp rating.

Reactions: Vesh

ApolloKen

Apr 1, 2017
    Mobile, AL
    I suppose new mods that can take this battery could also have an adapter so 18650's would still work. In the mean time a 30 amp rating is irrelevent to me. I'm not going above about 25 watts. This size might be relevent to me if it had significantly more than 3,000 mah and may be got that via a lower 15 amp rating.
    There's only a few mods I have where I wish I had a solid 35-40 amp cont. It'd be about perfect for my tube mechs and parallel boxes. I'm fine with the life I get from my hg2's on my regulated devices, it'd just be groovy to have a 2,500/3000mah 40amp; )

Reactions: Vesh

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 30, 2015
    ON. Canada
    There is 4200mah ones with 15A rating :D Dual 20700 8400mah mod would be amazing at low wattages, would last forever.

$17.11 Authentic Sanyo NCR20700B 3.7V 4250mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery (2-Pack) 2-pack - tested capacity: 4050mAh at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I gave the Samsung 30T a 40A rating.

Yeap and if mods are made to fit 21700's they'll be able to fit 20700s as well possibly without an adapter depending on design.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    There is 4200mah ones with 15A rating :D Dual 20700 8400mah mod would be amazing at low wattages, would last forever.

$17.11 Authentic Sanyo NCR20700B 3.7V 4250mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery (2-Pack) 2-pack - tested capacity: 4050mAh at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Yeap and if mods are made to fit 21700's they'll be able to fit 20700s as well possibly without an adapter depending on design.
    4000 mah would be a nice bump up. At my power settings an LG HG2 gets me through a full day on work days. For days off I need some recharging or I carry a 26650 mod. I avoid carrying spare batteries in clothing I'm wearing even in a case. A physisist named Goodenough published a paper recently saying he and his team have developed a replacement for the batteries we use that can't go into thermal runaway, will charge faster and have more energy density and he believes there could be products to buy in 3 years. People are paying attention because he is the co inventor of the original Li battery in use today. So may be the 18650 will be getting a serious performance boost in a few years.

ApolloKen

Apr 1, 2017
    Mobile, AL
    I gave the Samsung 30T a 40A rating.
    I saw that right after I posted, that is so awesome! You must be a busy guy Mooch, you are virtually single handedly keeping the vape community up to speed with every cell imaginable and the safety of each. Thank you sir.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 30, 2015
    ON. Canada
    4000 mah would be a nice bump up. At my power settings an LG HG2 gets me through a full day on work days. For days off I need some recharging or I carry a 26650 mod. I avoid carrying spare batteries in clothing I'm wearing even in a case. A physisist named Goodenough published a paper recently saying he and his team have developed a replacement for the batteries we use that can't go into thermal runaway, will charge faster and have more energy density and he believes there could be products to buy in 3 years. People are paying attention because he is the co inventor of the original Li battery in use today. So may be the 18650 will be getting a serious performance boost in a few years.

Considering I went through about 12000 mah, 50 watt, 0.32 Ohms today, these could have a significant impact for me especially the 15A ones, currently I carry with me, a dual 18650 device, second set of batteries for it and a second single 18650 device that I use a higher ohm build on in case I run out of power on my preferred setup... These could get me down to one device and a second set of batteries leaving me 4000mah to spare in case I forget to charge at night!

3 of my married sets are getting close to the cycle life I've given them (200 cycles) and it leaves me with only 2 more sets that already have 100 cycles on them so I'm getting a bit of battery anxiety lol, 3 sets could completely cover my needs over my current 5 sets :X

Be very careful with FastTech when ordering batteries. I was also drawn to their "Worldwide Free Shipping" claim. I wanted 4 Sanyo NCR20700A batteries. When I added them to my cart, the site added an approximately $34 shipping charge. Inasmuch as that particular battery was totally unavailable elsewhere and I have a mod being made (Sorry - can't say where) I bit the bullet and placed the order. I then opened a ticket with FastTech to complain about their misrepresentation of the Free Shipping. A couple days passed and their response was that the $34 fee was incorrect, if I wanted the batteries, I'd need to send an additional amount to them! So..bottom line, 4 Sanyo NCR20700A batteries are costing about $86 shipped to me in Virginia. To add insult to injury, they were shipped out on 12APR17 (supposed to be expedited airmail 5-7 day estimate) and its now 29APR17 and I don't yet even have a valid tracking number! I know that I'm going to be kicking my own ... when my availability notifications start rolling in from domestic suppliers, but I really didn't want to have the mod in hand and no way to power it. (The mod is really expensive) Be advised: FastTech's normally abismal shipping policies are horribly amplified when you order batteries to be delivered to the US! (I don't need to be told that all of this was a terrible mistake on my part, I'm reminded of that daily when I try to confirm tracking on this shipment) Also note: Mooch shows the Sanyo NCR20700A is superior to the IJOY.

Evanleese

Jun 1, 2017
    I would like to preface this by saying I absolutely do not encourage anyone to vape like I do---now ... I own both versions of the xxx mod and have been using these batteries(ijoy20700) and they tear up( become permanently weak ) very fast compared to the 18650s I use. I run .05-.08 and take around 6-10 pulls before charging as to not allow the battery to get hot..they lasted about a week and a half compared to about two months for the 18650( aspire 1800, lg hb6) . Also the thermal coupling tends to become damaged instantly on a few Ive gotten .. then they don't fire at all without going straight to red hot... just putting some real life info to the discussion.. have tried one Sanyo 20700a and it hits harder and hasn't stopped for the month Ive had it ... this might be useful to those who vape mechs this way ( more vape this way than most realize).. looking forward to the big three making a more quality product

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread