Cabana Boy: Redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
This is my all day, every day vape. I make and use other juices but I probably use this 90% of the time. It is a not-too-sweet, slightly tart, tropical blend that began as a half-clone of Propaganda's Illuminati but went well off the rails.

I have posted this recipe before but this is sufficiently different to be posting again, I think. A number of ingredients have either been added, changed, or altered in amount. Because it's my ADV, I am constantly tweaking, and I can't promise it won't change again. However, in my opinion, this is a vast improvement over the original.

This recipe does not contain diketones. Certainly as far as I know, anyway.

Cabana Boy
5% TFA Orange Mandarin
1% CAP Sweet Tangerine
2% TFA Pineapple
2% CAP Golden Pineapple
3% CAP Yellow Peach
2% TFA Ripe Strawberry
1.5% TFA Sour
optional 1-2% TFA Koolada

Recommended 35/65 PG/VG, but do what you will. Shake and vape.

If you are missing ingredients, here's some help: Previous versions used 6% TFA Orange Mandarin and no Tangerine, 4% TFA Pineapple can be used, as can 2% TFA Strawberry (not ripe) in a pinch. The above recipe is definitely recommended, though, as is using the Yellow Peach.

Enjoy.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
No problem! Please let me know what you think of it when you try it out! You could probably use another peach flavor if you just wanted to try, but CAP's is quite different IMO. It is unusually tart for a peach flavor; it's not inauthentic necessarily but lacking the sweetness of a real peach. I happen to like that, and use that particular peach more than any other.

That being said, I purposely try to make recipes that can use substitutions and this is no exception. I just think (as I said above) that the posted recipe is superior to my other versions, and there were many other versions. There may still be more!

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Yeah, you definitely need the Orange Mandarin I think. That's essentially the base, and as I mentioned in the original post you could definitely get away with all OM and no Sweet Tangerine for the orange but it sounds like you have ST?

I agree that INW could be subbed but I've only ever used a tiny bit, had an 8 or 10mL and never reordered but I seem to recall liking it. Do you find it similar to any other company's pineapple? Originally the recipe just used the TFA but that doesn't really taste like pineapple. I like it for other reasons but it doesn't taste like the real fruit. The CAP also isn't SUPER authentic but better. I just haven't remembered to order INW or FlavorArt's but I have a feeling a truly authentic pineapple could replace the two in the recipe; the CAP has some authenticity the TFA is missing whereas the TFA has the sweetness the CAP is missing, so a really good Pineapple should have both.

Well, good luck amassing them all and let me know if you're able to try it or a similar subbed out alteration :)

Reactions: tazzle

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
Actually, I do have a mandarin flavor that I love, but it comes from a no-name local company that apparently repackages other flavors. It might even be TFA. Still falling short on ingredients for this at the moment, though. I have white peach and inawera peach but not yellow peach. I have six kinds of strawberry, but not strawberry sweet. But most critically, probably, I don't have TFA Sour, or any kind of Sour. I would try this with my subs (until I do get the right ones) if it weren't for that.

I have around 230 concentrates, yet rarely find a recipe that I have all the exact ingredients for!

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Lol, isn't that always the way!! I have so many flavors and I am ALWAYS missing one, or two.

I would tell you to just try and sub but the sour is really important :( If no sour, Yellow peach. None of those fruits are inherently tart so I think without either of those flavors it will be super off from mine. But it happens! You'll just let me know if you have the opportunity to try it out :)

Road King

ECF Veteran
Sorry it's been a few months but did you get to try it @Road King and @tazzle? It's still my ADV!

Ed: also Road King I missed that you use my Dragon Punch often. So happy to hear that :)
Naw, I never did get the Orange Mandarin, but the Dragon Punch has been made here several times. Still one of my favorites.:thumb:

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
Well, my non-update for this is that my order took an extended world tour and now seems to be permanently stuck in Germany for unknown reasons. Got a refund on that, reordered, waited, waited, waited ... and finally TODAY I have these extra flavor bits in my hands. :confused: Will probably mix this up tomorrow.

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
Made it and it's really yummy! I used your recipe from ELR, which seems to have been very slightly tweaked since this one. I did have to sub the yellow peach, and I used 1% FA white peach, .5% inawera peach. I have too much peach; need to use some of this up before I can order the yellow peach and try it with that!

In your notes at ELR, you say "Even if you don't care for Koolada I strongly recommend just a tiny bit (even .4-5%) to help brighten the flavor and help make each fruit note distinctive," and I agree that it's needs a little punch, but I pretty much always end up hating koolada in recipes. I tried something else in a tester, and for me, it really works great: I added a drop per ml of inawera grapefruit. I will try one tester with a little koolada, instead, though, for thoroughness!

This is definitely an adv vape type, light and tropical! Thank you so much for the recipe!

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Thanks so much for responding again @tazzle !! I'm so glad you're enjoying it, or enjoying your slightly edited version.

Yes, my ELR recipe ended up tweaked the tiniest bit. I think the only change is that I use 4% Orange Mandarin and 2% Sweet Tangerine now, if anyone is curious.

The combination of white peach and INW was a really smart sub. I still recommend the YP for its unusual tartness but yes, that was brilliant :) I totally understand what it's like having flavors you need to get rid of! I can't tell you how many times I've subbed in Blueberry Extra or Cap Blueberry for Blueberry Wild in recipes, and vice vera.

I don't have INW grapefruit but I'm gonna get some. That sounds great. I also wonder if a drop or two of CAP Sweet Mango would be good. Instead of the GF, not in addition, that is. I've been making this other recipe which is Mango/Tangerine with a hint of pineapple and it's so good. Obviously it shares the tangerine and pineapple with this recipe, so I could see the mango working, even if it turns it into a completely different juice.

I know you're an experienced DIYer and that I don't have to tell you this but it's still worth mentioning; a really small amount of Koolada (and Koolada Koolada, I never use actual menthol) will barely make the mix taste 'cool' but might really help with brightening up the flavors. If you do make a tester with the Koolada, let me know if you think it's a necessary addition or if it can be skipped. I love a touch of Koolada in my fruit recipes so I don't know that I've ever made this without it, certainly not any recent version.

Thanks again so much for your thoughts and for remembering and taking the time to post them!

If anyone is curious and has enjoyed this, the Mango/Tangerine/Pineapple juice I've been making recently was pulled from ELR and is simple and delicious and is likely to scratch the itch for those who like these types of recipes. All CAP: 5.5% Sweet Mango, 6.5% Sweet Tangerine, 2% Golden Pineapple. It's called Lilt, I think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread