Status
Not open for further replies.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
All my grandiose plans about stocking up!

I am, at least, nibbling away at that big bite. I bought 5 springs this week!

Are you talking about the '510 adjustable grub screw'? Or, are you talking about 'stainless center post'?
i never used a reducer tube - i just used thicker, higher VG juice and it's what i use all the time now. i'd not go mad with the magnets either because you can always bend the door to work without them.

Extra grubscrews might be a good idea depending on how often you actually adjust an atty and lose one in the carpet (you'll find it with the sole of your foot in a day or two for sure) and 5 springs will last you forever unless you are unlucky or careless!

i quite like the old Reo bottles; i've replaced one in 5 years.

T

TraderX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
Philly Suburbs
I don't see the Reo Grand repair kits for older models listed any longer! I only see the repair kits for models with the newer adjustable 510.

If you have the older Reo's I guess you are out of luck. I wonder what Rob is charging now to have the adjustable 510 installed in the older model Grands?

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I don't see the Reo Grand repair kits for older models listed any longer! I only see the repair kits for models with the newer adjustable 510.

If you have the older Reo's I guess you are out of luck. I wonder what Rob is charging now to have the adjustable 510 installed in the older model Grands?
Around $35 if I remember correctly

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
i never used a reducer tube - i just used thicker, higher VG juice and it's what i use all the time now. i'd not go mad with the magnets either because you can always bend the door to work without them.

Extra grubscrews might be a good idea depending on how often you actually adjust an atty and lose one in the carpet (you'll find it with the sole of your foot in a day or two for sure) and 5 springs will last you forever unless you are unlucky or careless!

i quite like the old Reo bottles; i've replaced one in 5 years.

T
I only use high PG juice. So, it wouldn't hurt to grab a couple of reducer tubes. After all, they're only 25 cents.

Grubscrews, check.

I'm wondering about the stainless center posts? I saw a video of someone replacing the positive contact, and they had to remove the bottom half of the center post. So, I guess that could possibly get lost. But, the top part of the stainless center post surely would never be taken out (and therefore lost), would it?

I've never dropped a spring either. But, I also never broke a glass tank. Until I broke 2 in one week! So, it never hurts to have backup.
I notice that there's what appears to be a center post in the Mini Repair Kit (out of stock, of course). So, the center post in the old-style REO can be replaced?

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
O.M.G. I broke my Grand!!!
Holy crap. First for everything, I guess...

pinbroke.jpg

Do I just need one of these, and does it just slide in where the old one was, and that's it?
upload_2017-5-22_9-43-56.png

Or should I send this in, and have the 510 replaced? For some reason, I thought this was adjustable, but I don't see how it can be - the pin's not threaded...unless I lost a part, too...

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia

View attachment 659029

Do I just need one of these, and does it just slide in where the old one was, and that's it?
View attachment 659031

Or should I send this in, and have the 510 replaced? For some reason, I thought this was adjustable, but I don't see how it can be - the pin's not threaded...unless I lost a part, too...
i heard that was impossible! :lol: I think the top part threads in from the top and the bottom part threads on to that. I have a few replacement center pins but haven't needed them yet. That being said, Rob has yet to take longer that an hour to answer a technical question whenever I have one to ask. He sells the part so I'm guessing it's fairly easy to replace. Shoot him an email from the contact page of his website.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood

View attachment 659029

View attachment 659031

It's a bit early yet........but that might just win you the hoople of the year award!! Yikes, sorry that happened, but at least there is the confidence that Rob will get ya fixed right up! He might have to do a home visit before he entrusts her back to you though. :p How on earth did that happen????

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Hey it wasn't ME...:?:
a) That's the older 510...i hear this happens sometimes
b) 3 years old
c) I was just wiggling on a new tube, and it snapped off!

It's a bit early yet........but that might just win you the hoople of the year award!! Yikes, sorry that happened, but at least there is the confidence that Rob will get ya fixed right up! He might have to do a home visit before he entrusts her back to you though. :p How on earth did that happen????

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Hey it wasn't ME...:?:
a) That's the older 510...i hear this happens sometimes
b) 3 years old
c) I was just wiggling on a new tube, and it snapped off!
that's what they all say. :D but anyhow, glad she's goin to the spa! I've got a mini that's needed to go in for a long time. I'll her it there one of these days.

The Bobbitt defence.

T
lmao :facepalm: only you darlin!

TraderX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
Philly Suburbs

Believe it or not, the exact same thing happened to me recently! I even sent Train2 a message about it to see what his repair cost. I think the older Reo's 510's just corrode and fall apart after years of use. SuperX has a video on how to replace this part on YouTube, and it looks very simple to fix. The problem is that the part is no longer available on the Reo website. You are sort of being forced to upgrade to the new adjustable 510 assembly. I kind of prefer the non adjustable 510 assembly for my purposes and have no desire to get a new adjustable 510.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Ah, see I love and use the adjustable.
But you should message Rob - he may have an old pin/parts for you...

Believe it or not, the exact same thing happened to me recently! I even sent Train2 a message about it to see what his repair cost. I think the older Reo's 510's just corrode and fall apart after years of use. SuperX has a video on how to replace this part on YouTube, and it looks very simple to fix. The problem is that the part is no longer available on the Reo website. You are sort of being forced to upgrade to the new adjustable 510 assembly. I kind of prefer the non adjustable 510 assembly for my purposes and have no desire to get a new adjustable 510.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I'm sure the parts may have dwindled down since its been over least 2 years since the switch over to the adjustable 510. You do have a couple options though. You could contact Rob and see if he has any of the old repair kits and if he does he would surely sell them to you. You can put an ad up in the WTB section of the BST and I'm sure some of the older Reonauts might have a spare kit or 2 they could part with. I know quite a few stocked up on them as this is a common problem with the older 510 and the biggest reason Rob changed over to the adjustable... Good luck...

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I'm sure the parts may have dwindled down since its been over least 2 years since the switch over to the adjustable 510. You do have a couple options though. You could contact Rob and see if he has any of the old repair kits and if he does he would surely sell them to you. You can put an ad up in the WTB section of the BST and I'm sure some of the older Reonauts might have a spare kit or 2 they could part with. I know quite a few stocked up on them as this is a common problem with the older 510 and the biggest reason Rob changed over to the adjustable... Good luck...
Oh, no! I had no idea my collection was so vulnerable. 5 of my 9 have the old 510!

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
jup, wasn't thinking about that at the time....... but even if I had......I just couldn't have passed up an opportunity to give train a hard time :D Like he said, definitely give Rob a call and see if he has any.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
If you are tootle puffin, and using AW batteries, which AW do you like best? I have always used the 1600 AW, and was wondering if the 2200 was worth changing to.
Edit: I have some batteries bought 2013, and figure maybe it's about time to change em out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread