Sony VTC6 15A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a great battery, equaling HG2/30Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These cells were donated for the purposes of testing by EnerCig in Germany. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is an great underrated cell that I am rating at 15A/3000mAh. The datasheet lists the max continuous current at 30A but that's only if you stop the discharge when the cell reaches 80°C, way before a continuous discharge has finished. The true continuous current rating from Sony is 15A. It runs at a slightly higher voltage than both the 30Q and HG2 though.

The 18650 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

A shootout between the HG2, 30Q, and VTC6 is now underway to see which is the best-performing 3000mAh and whether the ratings for the 30Q and/or HG2 need to be adjusted.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.jpeg

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

VTC6 Ratings
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached 2875mAh. This is great performance for 3000mAh cell at 10A so I am rating this cell at 3000mAh.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 72°C. This is a few degrees below the average temperature of a cell running at its continuous discharge rating (CDR).
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350/18500 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Micaela

Jun 7, 2017
    Dear mooch, thanks for all your help!
    I may sound a bit slow but im a newbie on cells and mods. Im about to buy the al85 which works at 85 w. and its a single battery mod.
    The smoketech sites recommends to use 30A batteries -cells- on their equipment.. so i was thinking on going with the sony vtc6 but then i read your review.
    also read the comments where you specifically said that it would be safe to use the sony vtc6 would be safte to use up to 75w.
    So, i don't think id use the mod at 85 watts all the time, and i know that there is a lot of presets in that mod to vape at a lower wattage.. but what if i make a rooky mistake and leave it at 85? Still safe to use.? i do tend to forget to properly prepare things sometimes... what if i mess up, what do i get? A ruined battery or a broken mode? anything so bad it could explode=?
    one more thing: which charger do you recommend?
    Thanks for the patience!
    Mica

quote:
    Mooch Sep 24, 2016@tresgay, you can use a single VTC6 at up to 75W fairly safely.

Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Dear mooch, thanks for all your help!
    I may sound a bit slow but im a newbie on cells and mods. Im about to buy the al85 which works at 85 w. and its a single battery mod.
    The smoketech sites recommends to use 30A batteries -cells- on their equipment.. so i was thinking on going with the sony vtc6 but then i read your review.
    also read the comments where you specifically said that it would be safe to use the sony vtc6 would be safte to use up to 75w.
    So, i don't think id use the mod at 85 watts all the time, and i know that there is a lot of presets in that mod to vape at a lower wattage.. but what if i make a rooky mistake and leave it at 85? Still safe to use.? i do tend to forget to properly prepare things sometimes... what if i mess up, what do i get? A ruined battery or a broken mode? anything so bad it could explode=?
    one more thing: which charger do you recommend?
    Thanks for the patience!
    Mica

quote:
    Mooch Sep 24, 2016@tresgay, you can use a single VTC6 at up to 75W fairly safely.

I stand by my statement made on Sept 24, 2016. :)

If you must max out your mod, which is not good for it BTW, you should still be ok. Just slow down if your battery gets more than warm. But, if you are vaping at 85W I strongly urge buying a 2-battery mod. The battery life at 75W-85W with a single battery is lousy.

Micaela

Jun 7, 2017
    thanks for answering so quickly... im not even close to vape at 85, in fact, my only vaping devices atm are regular ego starter kits, and im doing fine with 20w, so i basically want to have more settings options and more power to reduce nicotine easily, but as i said, not even close to 85.
    My actual question, and pardon me if i wasnt clear, what happens if i accidentaly max it out once or twice?
    thanks!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    thanks for answering so quickly... im not even close to vape at 85, in fact, my only vaping devices atm are regular ego starter kits, and im doing fine with 20w, so i basically want to have more settings options and more power to reduce nicotine easily, but as i said, not even close to 85.
    My actual question, and pardon me if i wasnt clear, what happens if i accidentaly max it out once or twice?
    thanks!

Ahh..ok. The first parts of what I said still applies. :)

Micaela

Jun 7, 2017
    Hi guys, again me with my mod-battery questions.. my mod just came in, an alien mini al85w but the only batterie,s cells, i could get for now are two efest IMR 18650 3500mA and suppossedly 20a.
    I know they are not amongst your faves but its the most i can do for a few months until i can grab some of the ones you like best, you cant get much in argentina
    Anyways, since the 3500mah and 20a are probably not true i was wondering what max wattage would you recommend for these cell models and what power do they really provide..
    Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this or if you have answered it already
    thanks a lot!"
    m

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hi guys, again me with my mod-battery questions.. my mod just came in, an alien mini al85w but the only batterie,s cells, i could get for now are two efest IMR 18650 3500mA and suppossedly 20a.
    I know they are not amongst your faves but its the most i can do for a few months until i can grab some of the ones you like best, you cant get much in argentina
    Anyways, since the 3500mah and 20a are probably not true i was wondering what max wattage would you recommend for these cell models and what power do they really provide..
    Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this or if you have answered it already
    thanks a lot!"
    m

I think those batteries say 10A continuous on the wrap.
    If they don't...we'll...they're 10A continuous. :)

You can use them at up to about 20W each before their performance really starts dropping off.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Thanks mooch!!!!
    Just a few more questions
    Is it just a performance issue or a security issue too? Can i vape them at more than 20w and be sure they wont explode?
    which is the max. wattage for security issue for these cells?
    always grateful
    M

As someone who is giving advice and must always err on the side of caution I cannot discuss safety limits for any battery. The performance really drops when going much above 20W per battery. It's much better to just get better batteries than to try to push these.

Red.art

Sep 19, 2017
    Hi Mooch...
    It is very nice of you giving a lot of info esp for a newbie like me. So would you mind answering some of my questions..
    My set up vape device : Tarot pro 160 watt, using 2 sony vtc 6 (i hope a genuine one). My device read coil resistance is 0.42 ohm. I usually use at 27 to 33 watt (it shows range 3.3 V-3.7V). If im not mistaken its about 7-9 amp
    My questions are:
    1. Is it safe to use that setup? Does the safe maximum coil resistance i could build is about 0.2 ohm? Because i would love to experience vaping at maybe 70watt, should i lower the coil resistance at max 0.2 ohm or i should go higher in voltage?
    2. For vaping safety and experience, at what voltage do you reccomend? Or in this case no need to worry because i use a regulated mod?
    because I usually set wattage while also look at voltage and i am avoiding to go higher than 3.7V, and the lowest setup is about 3.3 V (gives me 27 to 33 watt)
    3. For safety transport, is it enough if I separate mod, rda (with coil and wick in it) and each batteries inside a sealed paper box for 10hours trip or is there something else that i should do to make it safer? Oh and should i empty my batteries for the trip maybe at 30% capacity or is it ok if its charged 100%)
    Thanks Mooch i really appreciate your help because i really sucks at this electricity thing lol

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread