Vaping after wisdom tooth extraction: How bad is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broseybrose

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I got 3 yanked today, slept for 6 hours, and now that im up, im vaping; but less than usual. The bleeding has stopped (mostly) and there's no pain w/ the percs.

So how bad is it? Is it better than smoking, at least?

Dont get me wrong, i heard the doctor say "no smoking for 72 hours" so im aware that its bad. Im just curious how it compares to smoking, or if anyone has any anecdotes?

ImYourSalt

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
liberty-flights.com
better than smoking.

i think a lot of it has to do with the suction though. i would try using a manual battery and pull only as hard as you must.

also, i am not a doctor. this is hypothetically, what i might do in your shoes. but i still smoked at that time. and continued to post-op. but only as often as needed, and i took very small puffs. dragging as lightly as possible.

i turned out ok

As others have stated, yes it's the actual act of sucking that will give you dry sockets, along with the harmful elements of tobacco smoke. Trust me you do not want one, speaking from experience. One trick I learned, stuff cotton balls up into the area where the tooth was extracted, as to form a nice covering/wadding. Then vape away. The cotton balls reduce the "suction" so to speak, and act as a barrier. I did that back when I actually smoked and it worked like a charm, and this was about an hour after being home from having tooth extracted. Granted, it was a molar, so it was a little easier to stuff cotton balls up into the socket and my gum & cheek.

Last edited:

_TJ_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2009
SE Ohio in the sticks
As others have stated, yes it's the actual act of sucking that will give you dry sockets, along with the harmful elements of tobacco smoke. Trust me you do not want one, speaking from experience. One trick I learned, stuff cotton balls up into the area where the tooth was extracted, as to form a nice covering/wadding. Then vape away. The cotton balls reduce the "suction" so to speak, and act as a barrier. I did that back when I actually smoked and it worked like a charm, and this was about an hour after being home from having tooth extracted. Granted, it was a molar, so it was a little easier to stuff cotton balls up into the socket and my gum & cheek.
This.
And is it really that hard to not vape for 24 hours after the extraction?:confused:
I had 2 wisdom teeth done twice in July, didn't vape afterwards. But I was counting the minutes, :)
And I'd take not vaping over a dry socket any day.

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
Cigarette smoke is a horrible irritant.
Sucking on anything after that procedure is very bad.

I remember when I made my ex go and have her wisdom teeth cut out.. Believe me, I did not want to .. but I knew it was best, for her. Man it was horrible. I wouldn't let her smoke very much, at all(looking back on it I should have just cancelled her smoking completely. I'll never have a lady friend smoking, ever again.), but I also didn't want her withdrawing from nicotine while she was so miserable anyway. She, of course, ended up with the dry socket.

There is nothing worse than when your woman has just had her wisdom teeth removed... I took care of HER for over three weeks.. and she couldn't do something VERY important. God, I am so wonderful, I just took care of her even though she couldn't take care of me!!

I'd say that cigarette smoking did that dry socket to her. A cigarette, it's producing a horrible irritant and you have to suck on it.

Just set your e-cig up to be easy draw. If it's a hard pull unscrew it a bit. If you have cartos run a small wire through them and make sure the little hole is centered. I know that pg will dry you out in some ways, but, I don't imagine it'd cause "dry socket".

Oh god I hope I never have to be with a woman through that again. That was torture. Looking in there all of the time checking it for her and .. Well it was just torture. Oh my Lord. But at the same time I felt so good about myself being such an angel for her.

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
This.
And is it really that hard to not vape for 24 hours after the extraction?:confused:
I had 2 wisdom teeth done twice in July, didn't vape afterwards. But I was counting the minutes, :)
And I'd take not vaping over a dry socket any day.

I just vaped through my nose to see what would happen thanks to this post.. and it worked.. But don't do that if you're vaping menthol. It burned the piss outta me over here!!! But it DOES work!! Then I realize I am out of alcohol, and I have to go and wash the end of this thing by hand instead of just wiping it off with an alcohol rag. So look at all of this work I had to do to find this out. LoL !

Broseybrose

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Hey I had another idea!! Instead of sucking on an e-cig like you have to with a cigarette.... You can simply "breathe in" the e-cig vapor.. Like this, seal your lips around the e-cig and "breathe in through your mouth". I just bet that won't bother your gums at all!!

That's exactly what ive been doing. :)

Slea

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I've had 3 oral surgeries for tooth extraction and I *smoked* after all of them. After the wisdom teeth, I don't think I made it as far as the parking lot before I started demanding my smokes.

Anywho, I basically told the doctor there was no way in Hades I was ever going to not smoke for 3 days (this being, of course, before ecigs), and she said I should at least stuff some gauze over it, so that's what I did.

No dry socket for me!

I had a non-smoking coworker get it twice though, so, like anything else, it's 50% how you take care of yourself and 50% luck of the draw.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Not only do the docs say no smoking, but no straws and no carbonated liquids, don't want to suck or fizz the clots out. :p That's not to say I ever listened on the smoking point, and yeah, small pieces of gauze work great. I ended up with dry socket the first time, but after using the gauze the other 3, never had it again.

Broseybrose

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Well its been 4 days and no problems. Feels like all three are healing perfectly. Ive been vaping the whole time - with the attys screwed on loosely!

Im notorious for quick healing... In 2001, i literally got my face cleaved in half; through my nostril and completely severed upper lip, but because it was a clean cut the plastic surgeon was able to put my face back together perfectly. Dude was a miracle worker. When i got home i looked like frankenstein and we were all pretty sure id have a gnarly scar... you can barely make out the line today. Though there are still funny sensation-based things like touching my upper lip and feeling my nostril tingle hehe.

Just figured id give an update. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread