Are coils with juice economy becoming obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin89

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Seems like whenever a new tank/coil comes out, it requires more power from your mod(lower resistances and dual/tricoils) and faster juice consumption. Its nice that you can get your fix with less nicotine but the initial reason I switched to vaping a few years ago was because cigarettes are way to expensive. Can anyone recommend a coil besides Kanger subtank coils that won't have me going through 10 mls of juice a day?

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Seems like whenever a new tank/coil comes out, it requires more power from your mod(lower resistances and dual/tricoils) and faster juice consumption. Its nice that you can get your fix with less nicotine but the initial reason I switched to vaping a few years ago was because cigarettes are way to expensive. Can anyone recommend a coil besides Kanger subtank coils that won't have me going through 10 mls of juice a day?

You need to get a rebuildable RDA, RDTA, or RTA abd learn to build and wick your own coils.

I build to .8 ohms the flavor sweet spot for my DIY juice and vape at 8-10 watts.

I use simple 26 gauge Kanthal round wire builds

Reactions: BrotherBob

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada

It really depends on your style of vaping.

And yes, the fad is the 4/6/8/12 coils cartridges so that everyone and their dogs can be "OOOO clouds!" with no effort.

Smaller coils will produce less vapour and use less liquid, so any tank that uses factory cartridge coils will be balanced by the size of it.

If you go with decks, you'd have to build high ohms small coil setups.

Reactions: Asbestos4004

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
No... not at all.

3-4ml max a day for me, excluding RDAs... which sometimes don't get used at all in a 24hr period.

I use
Cubis 0.6ohm
Eleaf GS 1.2ohm
Eleaf ECML (not great unless low watts)
Nautilus BVC (either)
Joyetech CLR 1.0ohm

10ml is not that much, but one has to factor nic' strength & watts.

You could easily survive on 3ml a day at the right strength, so I don't agree with your comment "Its nice that you can get your fix with less nicotine" ... that's looking at it backwards if you don't mind me saying.

You could rebuild of course. There's no set rules. Do what makes you happy and keeps you vaping.

Reactions: Cosmic_Glaze

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
It really depends on your style of vaping.

And yes, the fad is the 4/6/8/12 coils cartridges so that everyone and their dogs can be "OOOO clouds!" with no effort.

Smaller coils will produce less vapour and use less liquid, so any tank that uses factory cartridge coils will be balanced by the size of it.

If you go with decks, you'd have to build high ohms small coil setups.

That made me chuckle.

Reactions: Tonee N

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

Lower your wattage, and use something like the Kabuki tank that takes drop in coils, or learn how to build your own coils and use an RBA. Either way, you will be dropping your wattage somewhat...

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Roll your own. I do. There's no hard and fast rule about how to vape. Check out the tootle puffer's thread; you'll find lots of people perfectly happy under 20watts and just a couple ml per day. You can still also find and use high-ohm, low-watt tanks and coils therefor. Some of the very best, and earliest, flavor tanks-- Svoe-Maesto Kayfuns, Erlkonigin, etc-- were intended for this regime, although they are for coil builders.

The "obsolete" question is interesting: you meant "is economy becoming obsolete", of course. And, as I have said, it is not. But coils now... maybe. Yes, to be sure, some means of heating the juice to vapor temperature will always be required, and these will probably always be called "coils" as the electrical symbol for such a part (an inductance) is a coil shaped spiral. Already we see the ceramic coils making inroads to the coil-and-wick type. An improvement in design would not surprise me.

The market sells what people want to buy. I think-- personal opinion only, no data-- it probably has more to do with a preference for direct lung hits rather than MTL; and thus the high watt, high juice, low nic combo is merely an effective tool. It just works better in that regime is all.

Finally, another viable option is to DIY your juice. I do, in addition to building my own coils, and make it exactly how I want it for a nickel or so per ml. And then don't worry about how much of it I vape.

Reactions: Chakris
After starting out as a mouth to lung vaper, I switched to direct lung just as the "sub-ohm" market opened up, and although I've tried a few different tanks, and have the ability & tools to rebuild, my goto tank is still the Aspire Triton; it holds a decent amount of juice, suits my vaping style, and the coils which are still readily available last me ages. I've got a TFV4/8, and a Cleito 120, but they don't do it for me. And yes if people buy the newer style multicoil tanks, then they will continue to make them. Each to his/her own I say.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Lower your wattage, and use something like the Kabuki tank that takes drop in coils, or learn how to build your own coils and use an RBA. Either way, you will be dropping your wattage somewhat...

Yup, lower your wattage. I have subohm coils that with moderate power are quite satisfying and vape ~5-7 ml a day. Lower watt, lower cloud mtl coils will certainly go through less juice, but depending on your own needs, may well require a juice with a higher nic concentration to be satisfying.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Yup, lower your wattage. I have subohm coils that with moderate power are quite satisfying and vape ~5-7 ml a day. Lower watt, lower cloud mtl coils will certainly go through less juice, but depending on your own needs, may well require a juice with a higher nic concentration to be satisfying.

Yeah, I figured this guy since he's using a bit higher wattage and lower coils, is probably not going to be satisfied by just any tank.. probably more of a restricted lung situation is the ticket that has a moderate usage, rather than a tight mtl on very low wattage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eskie

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Roll your own. I do. There's no hard and fast rule about how to vape. Check out the tootle puffer's thread; you'll find lots of people perfectly happy under 20watts and just a couple ml per day. You can still also find and use high-ohm, low-watt tanks and coils therefor. Some of the very best, and earliest, flavor tanks-- Svoe-Maesto Kayfuns, Erlkonigin, etc-- were intended for this regime, although they are for coil builders.

The "obsolete" question is interesting: you meant "is economy becoming obsolete", of course. And, as I have said, it is not. But coils now... maybe. Yes, to be sure, some means of heating the juice to vapor temperature will always be required, and these will probably always be called "coils" as the electrical symbol for such a part (an inductance) is a coil shaped spiral. Already we see the ceramic coils making inroads to the coil-and-wick type. An improvement in design would not surprise me.

The market sells what people want to buy. I think-- personal opinion only, no data-- it probably has more to do with a preference for direct lung hits rather than MTL; and thus the high watt, high juice, low nic combo is merely an effective tool. It just works better in that regime is all.

Finally, another viable option is to DIY your juice. I do, in addition to building my own coils, and make it exactly how I want it for a nickel or so per ml. And then don't worry about how much of it I vape.

Excellent post.

One thing that it "odd" about the vaping world that many on here forget, is that talking to the largest store (and probably the most active) around where I live, the owner was saying that the majority of sales is actually the smaller EGO beginner's type, the AIO types and such, with the plug and play approach to simply make them quit smoking and not be a huge chunk of their lives (as per most that do end up joining forums and groups... technically we account for a very small percentage of the vaping community), they basically want someone small, easy to use with the minimal headache.

The appeal of the larger mods and tanks are more from the "younger" crowd and "hobbyists".

So the smaller devices easily sell 20 to 1 (at least) from what he was saying.

So there's quite a selection of devices out there that only use a fraction of liquid that the larger tanks do, but, the experience is quite limited, yet still good enough to get people to stop smoking... so it's all about priorities and personal investment.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Excellent post.

One thing that it "odd" about the vaping world that many on here forget, is that talking to the largest store (and probably the most active) around where I live, the owner was saying that the majority of sales is actually the smaller EGO beginner's type, the AIO types and such, with the plug and play approach to simply make them quit smoking and not be a huge chunk of their lives (as per most that do end up joining forums and groups... technically we account for a very small percentage of the vaping community), they basically want someone small, easy to use with the minimal headache.

The appeal of the larger mods and tanks are more from the "younger" crowd and "hobbyists".

So the smaller devices easily sell 20 to 1 (at least) from what he was saying.

So there's quite a selection of devices out there that only use a fraction of liquid that the larger tanks do, but, the experience is quite limited, yet still good enough to get people to stop smoking... so it's all about priorities and personal investment.
We live in a bubble. Spending time on these forums might lead us to believe we represent the majority of vapers. There's a guy on this project I'm working....he has a beat to hell ego set up. He's been vaping for a couple years. He was asking what I was using (Orca squonker with a Narda). Not only was he amazed at how a squonker worked but he had no idea what an RDA was...nor did he have any idea what ECF was. He said "There's really a forum for this stuff? Weird." :lol: I think he represents more vapers than we do.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Freemax Pure

Sent from tomorrow

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Kanger has vertical 1.5 ohm coils and 1.2 ohm coils for the subtank in both occ and ssocc if you don't want to make your own. The `1.5 is the best for MTL. Nice vapor and flavor. Or you can just make your own coils with the RBA tank for it.

Those coils are $12 to $15 in vape stores for a 5 pack or you can get from fasttech for $8 if you can wait 3 weeks to get them.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
We live in a bubble. Spending time on these forums might lead us to believe we represent the majority of vapers. There's a guy on this project I'm working....he has a beat to hell ego set up. He's been vaping for a couple years. He was asking what I was using (Orca squonker with a Narda). Not only was he amazed at how a squonker worked but he had no idea what an RDA was...nor did he have any idea what ECF was. He said "There's really a forum for this stuff? Weird." :lol: I think he represents more vapers than we do.

I suspect that this is very true. If I were looking to enter the vape market with a new device I'd see two ways to go. One would be to compete in the high volume, low margin world of plug & plays, and two would be the higher margin lower volume sub-ohm cloud chasers. Folks like the OP who use the same device for years wouldn't make me rich.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois

Yes much of what we see now is getting bigger and more powerful now a days. The companies are following the sales and the trends. I refuse to follow that trend as the Mrs and i are quite happy being supplied for life with clr coil heads and joyetech tanks that accept them also as a diy it is quite inexpensive.

Reactions: Cosmic_Glaze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread