RDTA building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hentak

Jun 11, 2017
I've just started playing around with the iJoy RDTA combo. Built a coil, not very pretty but works. Used 26ga kanthal with 6 double wraps and put in two coils. I'm using an iJustS which has a 3000mA battery and runs at about 50W. Regulated device. Although it works, it seems to take a while to fire up. Tried removing one coil as you can build single coil set ups, but still seems sluggish. Any ideas where I'm going wrong? Kind of have to pulse it a few times then take a pull.

Hentak

Jun 11, 2017
I've just started playing around with the iJoy RDTA combo. Built a coil, not very pretty but works. Used 26ga kanthal with 6 double wraps and put in two coils. I'm using an iJustS which has a 3000mA battery and runs at about 50W. Regulated device. Although it works, it seems to take a while to fire up. Tried removing one coil as you can build single coil set ups, but still seems sluggish. Any ideas where I'm going wrong? Kind of have to pulse it a few times then take a pull.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The ijust2 is not a regulated power device.
Output is based solely on battery voltage, full charge to low voltage cut off there is quite a swing in output.

What is the resistance of the 2 6 double wrap coils?
Resistance of the single coil?
I would not even attempt to vape a coil that hasn't been tested for shorts & the resistance measured accurately before use.

Fancy coils have more metal mass which takes more power to heat & will heat slowly when power output is insufficient.
Try a single 26ga 2.5mm - 3mm ID around .5Ω
Test for shorts & measure resistance before use.

Hentak

Jun 11, 2017
The ijust2 is not a regulated power device.
Output is based solely on battery voltage, full charge to low voltage cut off there is quite a swing in output.

What is the resistance of the 2 6 double wrap coils?
Resistance of the single coil?
I would not even attempt to vape a coil that hasn't been tested for shorts & the resistance measured accurately before use.

Fancy coils have more metal mass which takes more power to heat & will heat slowly when power output is insufficient.
Try a single 26ga 2.5mm - 3mm ID around .5Ω
Test for shorts & measure resistance before use.
I unfortunately don't have a tool to measure ohms, just used an app. Made a coil identical to the 0.3 coil in the factory ones. Is it potentially dangerous to play around with? Not using a high power device. Tried to put the premade coils that come with the pack in, Claptons or something but it did not work well, lots of spitting

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Potentially dangerous to play around with?, Yes.

You may not think your using a high power device, but, the cell inside stores a great deal of energy that if something were to go wrong could result in a catastrophic failure. Meaning getting hot, smoke, venting hot gasses, sizzle in a worst case,, boom, shrapnel.

You are betting your saftey on an .18cent built in 'over current protection' feature in a cheap mass produced power device.

'Playing around' with building coils is quite acceptable IF the proper equipment is used to test & measure the outcome before use.
It is quite unsafe for someone inexperienced to 'play around' with coils and use them without testing for shorts & accurately measuring resistance.

Something similar to a 521 Tab with a name brand high quality cell inside, vtc5A would be a good pick or an LG HB series.

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
My first post was not uploaded on purpose.
Lots of things to think about @Hentak - be sensible and assume nothing.
The iJust batteries won't allow much flexibility for you when experimenting as they are limited to a very basic design. It's just a 3.7v (<4.2v) battery with a cheap chip.
With the right coil it's high power enough to take seriously and I don't know about you, but claiming to make a coil 'identical' to a factory one is probably not as easy as we think.
You need a way to test them, please.
Personally, I treat my iJust batteries a little like somebody else's dog... enjoy but don't presume all is guaranteed. :)

Reactions: Hentak

Hentak

Jun 11, 2017
My first post was not uploaded on purpose.
Lots of things to think about @Hentak - be sensible and assume nothing.
The iJust batteries won't allow much flexibility for you when experimenting as they are limited to a very basic design. It's just a 3.7v (<4.2v) battery with a cheap chip.
With the right coil it's high power enough to take seriously and I don't know about you, but claiming to make a coil 'identical' to a factory one is probably not as easy as we think.
You need a way to test them, please.
Personally, I treat my iJust batteries a little like somebody else's dog... enjoy but don't presume all is guaranteed. :)
My main reason for wanting to build is the cost of factory coils is very high, one lasts me 4-5 days at most. I've been told a lot of different things so it's difficult to know what to believe. I think then I'll definitely do some more research before delving into building. Would a normal multimeter be able to read sub ohm. I'm in South Africa and we are quite far behind as always, and I also don't have finances for top gear. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I was under the impression it would be safe, it would just cause the battery to run down faster if the rig wasn't perfect.

Reactions: djsvapour

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
My main reason for wanting to build is the cost of factory coils is very high, one lasts me 4-5 days at most.

It's always a tricky decision. I buy factory coils (atomizer heads) from China at 60% the prices in the UK. Some last 4-5 days, that is true. Others last quite a bit longer... my current Cubis coil is over two weeks... and that is on my 9am-5pm 'worker' hardware.
A cigarette in England is basically £0.50 these days. (50 pence). If I buy my coils for about £1.25 the cost per day even on the bad ones is less than one cigarette.
I can build (I have some really nice tanks) and often use RDA atomizers at home.
Clearly, if you can perfect your own coils you win twice as the cost is low and the vaping quality can be superior... but not always... depends on a few factors.
In truth, I don't often turn to the multimeter (you can set it to ready small resistances) as I tend to attach the atomizer directly to a good, reliable mod. I've not made a mistake with a build for a long time, so a curious 'problem' that might require the mod to do it's thing in protecting me is not something I give much though to.

Hentak

Jun 11, 2017
It's always a tricky decision. I buy factory coils (atomizer heads) from China at 60% the prices in the UK. Some last 4-5 days, that is true. Others last quite a bit longer... my current Cubis coil is over two weeks... and that is on my 9am-5pm 'worker' hardware.
A cigarette in England is basically £0.50 these days. (50 pence). If I buy my coils for about £1.25 the cost per day even on the bad ones is less than one cigarette.
I can build (I have some really nice tanks) and often use RDA atomizers at home.
Clearly, if you can perfect your own coils you win twice as the cost is low and the vaping quality can be superior... but not always... depends on a few factors.
In truth, I don't often turn to the multimeter (you can set it to ready small resistances) as I tend to attach the atomizer directly to a good, reliable mod. I've not made a mistake with a build for a long time, so a curious 'problem' that might require the mod to do it's thing in protecting me is not something I give much though to.
To put it in perspective, my complete device cost R660, a single coil is R50, cheapest I've found is R45. Not to mention the juice, a decent quality 25pg/75vg 30ml bottle is between R150-R220. A 30ml lasts me two to three days. I'm using 0.3 coils as they give the best performance in this particular device, but it is quite thirsty. The RDTA was R550. The costs are racking up quickly, but I can't go back to cigarettes, I actually have no desire to smoke one, I have moments, but I think it's mostly linked to habits and behavioral patterns. But I must have my vape, I don't go anywhere without it

Reactions: djsvapour

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
You really should have a multimeter to read resistance or a regulated mod for saftey reasons. If you get one, I would just try a single coil with your 26g wire . Maybe a 2.5 to 3 mm diameter at a resistance of .6 to start. This should heat fairly fast and provide a good vape at a wattage of approximately 25 watts. The issue with not testing the coil prior to installing is a possible short in the coil and with limited protection from the mod, it is dangerous

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Hentak
You shouldn't have any problem ordering direct from China and therefore can find some very nice mods for fairly small prices. Like everyone else has suggested get a proper variable regulated mod if you want to build your own coils. The Joytech Evic VTC mini is available with a tank (so so) from Efuntop for $17.

Reactions: Hentak

Hentak

Jun 11, 2017
Went by my go to vape shop and they assured me the iJustS is a safe device to build on as it has cut off features. Tried again, but, with their recommendation did a double coil, 26ga kanthal 6 single wraps and it seems to be working beautifully. Not happy with the strength though, decent flavour, decent cloud, but feels very weak. Looking at getting a box within the next two months so don't want to spend unnecessary cash on meters and ohm readers. Slightly higher battery consumption but all well

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Went by my go to vape shop and they assured me the iJustS is a safe device to build on as it has cut off features. Tried again, but, with their recommendation did a double coil, 26ga kanthal 6 single wraps and it seems to be working beautifully. Not happy with the strength though, decent flavour, decent cloud, but feels very weak. Looking at getting a box within the next two months so don't want to spend unnecessary cash on meters and ohm readers. Slightly higher battery consumption but all well

That's awesome it has the protection... so what resistance is that dual coil? Or does it simply have protection, but no way to read the resistance? I initially thought it had a rebuildable deck, but it looks like your actually rebuilding the coil that came with it? Those are alot trickier to rebuild and trying to get one done like from the factory is tough. Hopefully you can just get more coils, rather then having something that's just ok. Or perhaps one day getting a tank that has a rebuildable deck option and make your own coils in the traditional way

Last edited:

Hentak

Jun 11, 2017
That's awesome it has the protection... so what resistance is that dual coil? Or does it simply have protection, but no way to read the resistance? I initially thought it had a rebuildable deck, but it looks like your actually rebuilding the coil that came with it? Those are alot trickier to rebuild and trying to get one done like from the factory is tough. Hopefully you can just get more coils, rather then having something that's just ok. Or perhaps one day getting a tank that has a rebuildable deck option and make your own coils in the traditional way

It is rebuildable. I tried to put the premade coils in first, but I think they were a bit much for the device. I made the coil myself, and have been using it for two days and it's actually working really well. I'm using the iJoy RDTA combo, so it's completely rebuildable, and has two different style decks. My device cant read ohms or resistance. Looking at getting the box probably in two months. I'm happy with this build and power, more getting a box for extended battery life and more options if ever need be. Can't for the life of me remember the brand, actually wanted to ask your opinion on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread