Are coils with juice economy becoming obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Keep your fingers crossed that the CLR coils continue to be available as I've noticed a few types of coils that are getting harder to find. As has been suggested it might pay to get the rba even if all you do is stash it just in case. I did find though that the RBA performed much better than did the stock CLR so you may want to get one and start playing with it, you may be pleasantly surprised.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Seems like whenever a new tank/coil comes out, it requires more power from your mod(lower resistances and dual/tricoils) and faster juice consumption. Its nice that you can get your fix with less nicotine but the initial reason I switched to vaping a few years ago was because cigarettes are way to expensive. Can anyone recommend a coil besides Kanger subtank coils that won't have me going through 10 mls of juice a day?

Two_Bears: I build to .8 ohms the flavor sweet spot for my DIY juice and vape at 8-10 watts/26 gauge Kanthal round wire.
My self/ RDA: to 2 ohms the flavor sweet spot for my DIY juice and vape at 6-7 watts/30 gauge Kanthal round wire.

Reactions: Eskie

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
More is better is a simple marketing technique/model. A good vape is about way more than volume of vapor. Density, flavor, mouth feel etc are just as important and you won't be able to get that from a factory made octuple coil . Step away, make your own coils and enjoy a vape tailor made to what YOU want. It's reasonabley simple, and costs a lot less.
Don't worry too much about resistance, on a regulated mod it doesn't make that much difference. Instead focus on a coil surface area and a mass suits the power level that you like.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
After starting out as a mouth to lung vaper, I switched to direct lung just as the "sub-ohm" market opened up, and although I've tried a few different tanks, and have the ability & tools to rebuild, my goto tank is still the Aspire Triton; it holds a decent amount of juice, suits my vaping style, and the coils which are still readily available last me ages. I've got a TFV4/8, and a Cleito 120, but they don't do it for me. And yes if people buy the newer style multicoil tanks, then they will continue to make them. Each to his/her own I say.
I'm also new to vaping and was considering something like the triton but i wonder if you can vape any vg/pg blend juice in that tank or is it mostly and only for sub ohm ? My present mod has 45 watts so pretty sure i'm safe on that end for now.

Reactions: Chakris

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Seems like whenever a new tank/coil comes out, it requires more power from your mod(lower resistances and dual/tricoils) and faster juice consumption. Its nice that you can get your fix with less nicotine but the initial reason I switched to vaping a few years ago was because cigarettes are way to expensive. Can anyone recommend a coil besides Kanger subtank coils that won't have me going through 10 mls of juice a day?
and this is why many of us get into rebuilding, a good comparison would be like going out to eat a big steak versus eating a steak at home, you save money and you can make it just the way you like it.

If you want clouds every once and a while get a RDA..
If you want a moderate amount of vapor get an appropriate RTA..
If you want MTL experience get the appropriate RTA..

A 30' roll of wire online is around 2-5$ and lasts some people months, a big bag of organic cotton pads is 8-15$ depending on where you shop and can last years...

Reactions: QcVaper

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
and this is why many of us get into rebuilding, a good comparison would be like going out to eat a big steak versus eating a steak at home, you save money and you can make it just the way you like it.

If you want clouds every once and a while get a RDA..
If you want a moderate amount of vapor get an appropriate RTA..
If you want MTL experience get the appropriate RTA..
A 30' roll of wire online is around 2-5$ and lasts some people months, a big bag of organic cotton pads is 8-15$ depending on where you shop and can last years...

I completely agree that sounds 100x cheaper than anything,BUT you do realise most new vapers are ex- smokers (i'm one of those) i don't want to get into building as it's not convenient if i had to i'd rather go back to smoking since it's much more convenient not everyone is interested in taking time to set a new coil i largely prefer just inserting a new one prime it with juice and vape on otherwise i don't feel i'd be even able to quit smoking, even though i still agree rtas/rdas are incredibly cheap compared to most solutions.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I completely agree that sounds 100x cheaper than anything,BUT you do realise most new vapers are ex- smokers (i'm one of those) i don't want to get into building as it's not convenient if i had to i'd rather go back to smoking since it's much more convenient not everyone is interested in taking time to set a new coil i largely prefer just inserting a new one prime it with juice and vape on otherwise i don't feel i'd be even able to quit smoking, even though i still agree rtas/rdas are incredibly cheap compared to most solutions.
It's not as time intensive as you think, once you have your coil installed and ready to go it lasts a very long time and instead of changing the coil out you just take the old cotton out, dry burn it and swap the cotton, the coils in my current vape are about a month old and I swap the cotton once a week no biggie.

Reactions: Tonee N

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
This is my wife. I do the tank maintenance, DIY juice, etc. If I didn't, it's much more convenient for her just to open a pack and light up. I just recently just got her to refill her own tanks. I think there are more people like that who will rewick/rebuild.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
This is my wife. I do the tank maintenance, DIY juice, etc. If I didn't, it's much more convenient for her just to open a pack and light up. I just recently just got her to refill her own tanks. I think there are more people like that who will rewick/rebuild.

Well that's the beauty of vaping,you can do whatever suits you. I largely prefer just buying premade coils and installing them instead of taking time to wick,make coils,install,get the correct ohms etcs.
To me vaping must be as convenient as just opening a pack of smokes and lighting it,i can deal with the maintenance easily and refiling is not hard even on a bottom filled tank (nautilus in my case). Overall i don't see myself ever getting into rebuilding anytime soon,specially since i'm still in the process of stopping the analogs.

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
I had to rewick today. Think it took me about 3-4 minutes to burn the coil, new cotton, and prime it. Back to vaping. Making a new coil is easy and fast, because I don't have to look up anything. 7 wraps of the only wire in the box. If you have 2 mods, it doesn't matter, you can vape while redoing the other one. I've even done it while traveling. Pulled over on highway (way away from the road) and recoiled one. It just got nasty from chain vaping so long.

You get used to it after a while and it goes pretty quickly. I think I can do it faster than ordering coils online, opening package and replacing. Way faster than going to a store to get the stuff.

I guess one reason I like it is because I live in a remote place. I haven't bought groceries in 2.5 months, it is time for a resupply though. I have to be self sufficient where I live and go as long as I can before hitting town, it's a long drive.

Reactions: Tonee N

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
A couple of weekends ago I was at a friends 30 year at her position at work party, was at a rented cabin at a nearby camp ground. There was the group of smokers outside, I was the only one vaping, and had to refill my tank. A couple of smokers asked what I was doing, I explained, and their reply was along the lines of that's a pain. More work than pulling out a cig and lighting up. Even refilling a tank/changing cartage's on a cig-a-like is more than many smokers want to do.

I still see them as a majority, us who do for ourselves as a vast minority. Is it easy to do for ourselves, yes, minutes a day at a maximum, but still too much for the masses.

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
When I travel, I carry 250 mls of liquid, and a small cigar box with tools, cotton and wire. That's good for quite a while, maybe 10-14 days depending how busy I am.

I lost a vape this morning. I let this guy that needed somewhere to stay use my RV, and didn't want him smoking cigs (coughing like crazy). So I pulled out an old beat up Sigelei Spark, and a Subtank plus and gave him about 75ml of juice. He made it 4 days.

He got a job here, it was cash paid daily and got $60. Bought a 12 pack of 5.9% beer, started drinking, took my bicycle, then road to the bar. That's fine, he was allowed to use my spare bike. He leaves the bar drunk, rides somewhere, steals a car. Then drives back to my house with stolen car and gets the rest of beer in the fridge at 11:50pm. Heads out of town (80 miles) to somewhere you can buy beer at night. Gets in a wreck, with others injured in the next state.

3rd Felony in California. So I'm not getting anything back. I'll miss my extra vape.

Reactions: Cosmic_Glaze

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
I think... for me...

My vape Juice is probably at around 600$ a year. I buy all my juice... build my own coil and keep it high wattage 60 Watts, and low ohms... around 0.2 10x240 ml.

Its a bit pricey ... not as bad as Cigarettes though, although where I live its much worse than a 2 pack a day habit price wise, but where I am from... its 3x better price wise.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
I'm also new to vaping and was considering something like the triton but i wonder if you can vape any vg/pg blend juice in that tank or is it mostly and only for sub ohm ? My present mod has 45 watts so pretty sure i'm safe on that end for now.
Any juice no matter what pg/vg level can be vaped in a sub-ohm tank. It's just a matter of adjusting your wattage up or down to reach the sweet spot of that particular juice.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Well that's the beauty of vaping,you can do whatever suits you. I largely prefer just buying premade coils and installing them instead of taking time to wick,make coils,install,get the correct ohms etcs.
To me vaping must be as convenient as just opening a pack of smokes and lighting it,i can deal with the maintenance easily and refiling is not hard even on a bottom filled tank (nautilus in my case). Overall i don't see myself ever getting into rebuilding anytime soon,specially since i'm still in the process of stopping the analogs.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Time is valuable and if building and caring for all the coil stuff isn't for you, go with factory coils. They're convenient and some are excellent performers (always a few duds along the way, even building yourself that can happen). I would caution that vaping as used for getting off cigs is about your health, not convenience, and spending a little time on it pays off big time in harm reduction.

I build most of my stuff, but still use factory coils for travel and all as it's far more convenient for me to not worry about rewicking in a hotel room. The primary reason I chose to start building, and doing it pretty early in my involvement in vaping, was due to the US deeming regs. I wanted to be sure I could be independent and not rely on factory coils that could theoretically become unavailable due to regulation. If those rules had not been passed, I probably would have stayed with factory coils far longer before dealing with building. The same applies to DIY juice (which, BTW, is very easy, certainly easier than wicking a coil).

Now that I'm doing all the building and mixing I really appreciate how much money I'm saving. But even spending more than I used to on smokes ($13 where I live) would be worth it to stay off cigarettes.

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
Keep your fingers crossed that the CLR coils continue to be available as I've noticed a few types of coils that are getting harder to find. As has been suggested it might pay to get the RBA even if all you do is stash it just in case. I did find though that the RBA performed much better than did the stock CLR so you may want to get one and start playing with it, you may be pleasantly surprised.
I'm a little confused. I thought the CLR coils were the RBAs for the Ego one? There is an actual rba that is different? I just picked up a Ego one "mini" with the CLR coils, it's a tiny little stealth for work.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Nothing wrong with that at all. Time is valuable and if building and caring for all the coil stuff isn't for you, go with factory coils. They're convenient and some are excellent performers (always a few duds along the way, even building yourself that can happen). I would caution that vaping as used for getting off cigs is about your health, not convenience, and spending a little time on it pays off big time in harm reduction.

I build most of my stuff, but still use factory coils for travel and all as it's far more convenient for me to not worry about rewicking in a hotel room. The primary reason I chose to start building, and doing it pretty early in my involvement in vaping, was due to the US deeming regs. I wanted to be sure I could be independent and not rely on factory coils that could theoretically become unavailable due to regulation. If those rules had not been passed, I probably would have stayed with factory coils far longer before dealing with building. The same applies to DIY juice (which, BTW, is very easy, certainly easier than wicking a coil).

Now that I'm doing all the building and mixing I really appreciate how much money I'm saving. But even spending more than I used to on smokes ($13 where I live) would be worth it to stay off cigarettes.
Maybe i will one day start building and stuff,but for now it's not a priority for me and i don't really have the patience to learn that stuff. For me at the moment,even buying factory coils is still cheaper than cigs (packs here are all over 10$ and i used to waste about 60$ per week in that , compared to about 20$ per 2 weeks for a bottle of juice in a shop and about 10$ for replacement coils from time to time aint so bad in my book. For now though i just can't see myself having to bring all them tools and stuff in my backpack as i have no car and hate bringing stuff i should'nt need. I do have a friend that probably knows how to whenever i feel like learning that stuff but for now i'm mostly concentrated on stopping analogs. On a side note though, i don't think i can buy the things to dyi my own juice in canada lots of stuff that's different compared to the us we here can't buy chemicals in stores (at least most of the time).

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada

Vaping can be as simple as opening a pack of smokes, light then crush...simple. If your willing to spend the money, vaping is plug and play but you'll have a mighty rough ride with factory coils and vendor juices. Inconsistent is the key word to those who want to plug and play vape. Its funny how some spend 3-5 bucks on a coil that they hope works, dollar a ml on juice that might taste good. I don't understand that way of thinking. I may have began rebuilding very early but I had no choice but to figure out why it tasted so bad cause I relied almost completely on mail order vape supplies.
I quit smoking overnight with vaping but I didn't have nowhere near the gear that is available today so my journey started with gear that had major quality control issues, cloned gear was surfacing so bait and switch was the norm for some internet vendors and you had to weed through them to get decent gear.
Mail order juice was a full time job cause once the order arrived you had to set up the next order or face the horrific event of running short before the next package showed up and decide from the descriptions then hope the juice doesn't taste like monkey azz....I won't even get into customs hassles.
Coil building is ya cheap but I know that its going to work in my atty, no second guessing or disappointments. It only takes a few minutes to set up a build in a atty so people who don't have time is just a excuse.
I can vape the subohm multiwire builds whenever I want and have no concern about juice consumption, the price of a coil head or running out of either. IMO those who don't rebuild or DIY have no idea on what they are missing out on cause I don't care its your money. The pro's of DIY and rebuilding far..far....far out weigh the cons if there are any?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread