E-Liquids and Sub-Ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkRNY

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Rockland County, NY
Well, put out my last .... (God willing) last week. So far so good. Tough, but not as tough as I thought it would be. It would have been impossible without vaping (I've tried-often), so this is another possible vaping success story.

Anyway, my question's in the title--Do most E-Liquids work with sub-ohm set-ups?? The reason I ask is because I really like the e-liquid I've been using for over a year, but I don't like their equipment. In fact, I tried their own e-juice with their own, new, sub-ohm cartridge and it was an "adventure" (heated the hell out of my battery, while draining the charge in an hour).

I know there are thousands of e-liquids out there, but at this stage of quitting, I don't want to mess with what's worked/working.

I'm looking at a Halo Triton vape pen now. I don't even know if it's sub-ohm (lol). I just want it to work with my current e-liquid without worrying about going through cartridges every week (or getting a bum cartridge now and then-it's happened more than once). Massive clouds of vapor aren't important to me. Just enough.

Any answers/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reactions: BrotherBob

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Well, put out my last .... (God willing) last week. So far so good. Tough, but not as tough as I thought it would be. It would have been impossible without vaping (I've tried-often), so this is another possible vaping success story.

Anyway, my question's in the title--Do most E-Liquids work with sub-ohm set-ups?? The reason I ask is because I really like the E-Liquid I've been using for over a year, but I don't like their equipment. In fact, I tried their own e-juice with their own, new, sub-ohm cartridge and it was an "adventure" (heated the hell out of my battery, while draining the charge in an hour).

I know there are thousands of e-liquids out there, but at this stage of quitting, I don't want to mess with what's worked/working.

I'm looking at a Halo Triton vape pen now. I don't even know if it's sub-ohm (lol). I just want it to work with my current e-liquid without worrying about going through cartridges every week (or getting a bum cartridge now and then-it's happened more than once). Massive clouds of vapor aren't important to me. Just enough.

Thanks.

Sounding like you are currently on a cig-a-like setup maybe, with your mention of a cartridge? Or are you on an Ego style (more along the size of a cigar) with a clearomizer and you are talking about the replaceable coil heads?? The Halo Triton if I remember correctly is in the Ego Class size, though they use a KR808-D connection instead of a 510 connection that 99% of the rest of the products out there use. If you are using, per chance, say a 24mg (2.4%) liquid in a very low powered device and moving up to a bit stronger powered device in the Triton, the 24mg will be a bit harsher, but will allow you to finish the supply you have now, and later down the line step down to an 18 (1.8%) or 12 (1.2%)mg liquid, where a cig-a-like outputs about 3.2 to 3.3v, the Triton (Ego Class) puts out on average about a 3.6 to 3.7volts, this will increase the watts. The watts most times can be determined as voltage X voltage/Ohms=Watts, examples 3.3v X 3.3v/2.0ohms=5.445watts, 3.7v X 3.7v/1.8ohms=7.6056watts, the later will be a bit harsher as more liquid is vaporized and thus more nic per volume of vapor is produced.

Sub-Ohm is in all honesty, any coil resistance below 1.0ohms, sub-ohm is inherently higher watts in output, thus most sub-ohm users cut their liquid nic strength in half down to a quarter what they do a lower watts with a higher ohm coil, example user uses a 12mg in an Ego Class at 1.5ohm coils almost 9watts of power, but if they drop to a 0.75ohm sub-ohm coil at 18 to 20watts power, they will use a 6mg, as they are getting 2x the vapor (2 X 6mg= 12mg exposure per volume). Also safety concern here reading what you posted above, most cig-a-likes and Ego class batteries have about a 5amp max continuous discharge rate, generally a 1.5ohm coil reaches this maximum current rate, using a 0.75ohm coil on such a device you are now at double the amps (10amps) and thus run the risk of overheating the battery and causing a thermal runaway, so do not use a sub-ohm coil on a device not designed for such output, and have to use batteries with a higher amp CDR that can handle that current, thus also it saps the charge twice as fast as you also noted. Sub-ohm is also, most times, not all though, effective with what is call a direct to lung style vaping (D2L), analogy taking a hit off and clearing a water pipe, where a cig-a-like or Ego class is what is called a Mouth To Lung (MTL), similar to sucking on a cig or a straw style vape. This is due to the amount of heat a sub-ohm coil produces needing rapid air movement to keep things bearably cool, also take note that sub-ohm vaping also doubles up to octuples your juice consumption depending on how high the watts are.

The Halo Triton and the Triton II are pretty old technology wise, but they are simple devices, and if you use their liquids as your main juice supply, then yes their liquids will work just fine with their hardware just fine. The Triton line should also work just fine with any other juice vendor out there, the only concern would be the PG and VG carrier liquids ratio, which the Triton line would begin to struggle with a 30PG/70VG ratio actually being designed for a 40PG/60VG to a 80PG/20VG viscosity. Pack a day former smoker a 12mg to 24mg nic content on average would be suggested, would have helped to know the current device you are using to help narrow a lot of this stuff down except for guesses from my end. A little more pricey, but a good investment that has worked for a lot of people, would be for a device setup, if you can find one an Eleaf iStick30Watts or iStick40Watt paired with an Aspire Nautilus/Nautilus Mini/Nautilus 2 tank, the little iStick mods are both internal battery and designed for both sub-ohm, down to 0.5ohm on the iStick30W, the iStick40W has a lower ohm rating, and above ohm vaping being they are variable wattage and can be dialed in to your vaping preference, the Nautilus Tank line is a proud, tried and tested line with adjustable airflow to loosen to tighten the air to your preferences.

Eleaf iSmoka iStick 30W Box Mod Kit - Authentic Eleaf™ - Vapor Authority
Aspire Nautilus MINI (BVC) Glassomizer - Authentic Aspire™ - Vapor Authority
Aspire™ Nautilus 2 Tank - Vapor Authority
Aspire™ Nautilus / Nautilus 2 BVC Replacement Coils / Atomizer Heads <---Replacement coil heads for the Nautilus Line.

The iStick mods use a charging plugin just like an Android Smartphone and have a larger battery just needing one for throughout the day up to 2days on a charge for a chain vaper with a Nautilus or other similar Ohm rating tank.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I'm looking at a Halo Triton vape pen now. I don't even know if it's sub-ohm (lol). I just want it to work with my current e-liquid without worrying about going through cartridges every week (or getting a bum cartridge now and then-it's happened more than once).

You might want to rethink that strategy.
Halo don't make anything, they just take other people's (manufacturers) equipment and re-brand it with the customary increase in price. Other companies do it to to a lesser or greater profit-creating margin.
It's how certain vaping companies sell a $29 ecig for $119.
Do you want to be part of that game? I doubt it.
BEWARE. The brands (the ones that pay to be rated #1 on some BS poll of hardware) are all doing this.
The kings of this behavior are well known to us all. They sold a $49 e-cigarette mod for $199.99 in 2014 and how did they do this? - by getting greedy people in the community to be traitors to new and uninformed vapers. Be careful out there.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
As djsvapour said, Halo is overpriced. You can get similar equipment at virginvapor.com for about 1/3 the price. This was my first setup KGO Electronic Cigarette Starter Kit and worked well. I paid over $40 for it 3 years ago and one battery still works.

I agree with IMFire though. You would be better off to get something with adjustable voltage/wattage and a longer lasting battery.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The Halo Triton system is not subohm and cannot handle high VG juices. It's just and Ego pen setup. Works OK for what it is, and I really like Halo's juices particularly Tribeca. That said, the Halo Triton system is old tech, not terribly cost effective, and you'll likely run through 2 of those eGo battery bases a day, so lots of charging.

There is a lot of affordable gear out there that works well, is likely cheaper, and will run just about any juice out there. To figure out what will definitely run the juice you have, can you post what the VG/PG mix it is and how many mg of nic?

MarkRNY

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Rockland County, NY
A lot of great info here. I appreciate it.

From IMFire--"...would have helped to know the current device you are using to help narrow a lot of this stuff down...".

You're right (lol). I ranted against them on previous posts and I didn't want to make it seem like I was on a vendetta (although I am 3/4s Italian). I've been using a V2 Series 3 Pro. The cartridges are ridiculous for a fairly heavy vaper just coming off "analogues"--3 or 4 refills, and it starts to nosedive taste-wise. In my experience, you can squeeze about 10 days out of them before you have to toss them. Their e-liquid is great, for me anyway. Probably a somewhat high PG level because it doesn't work with their Series 3 cart. As mentioned, I don't want to mess with changing e-liquids this early on into quitting cigs if I can help it.

What I guess I'm after is a cost effective pen-like unit, without disposable cartridges, that can handle V2's coffee e-liquid, 18 or 24 mgs. That's what drew me to the Halo Titan. From a youtube review I saw, the tank lasts a long time. Glad I ran it by the people here 1st.

Going to check out all the suggestions and links and probably ask a few more questions. Again, your responses are greatly appreciated--Thanks!

Btw--I was smoking the last few times I had my blood pressure checked and it was kind of high (not dangerously, but high). My head nurse, red-headed cousin checked it last night and it was down 15 points, which is pretty much optimal range. Another little health benefit of vaping vs smoking anecdote.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I am very pleased you 'liked' my post @MarkRNY (even if not liked in the real sense of the word, but to alert me that you read it).
Yes.. V2 are really something and it's no surprise to me you are bothered by the running costs.
It's very hard for me to reveal the truth (as I see it) about products like V2 (you can only say so much) and complaining about being ripped off back in 2013 (not V2) lead me straight into the path of some heavy-hitting lawyers.
I say... just free yourself totally from these appalling brands. If you like a specific liquid then go ahead and keep buying it, but the brand e-cigs just kill their customers with everything from the initial 'kit' purchase to liquids and atomizer coils.
The worst company for this behavior is not even mentioned in this thread. They had to dissolve their business and be re-launched to cover their tracks.
Hardware at two-three times the price with 400% profit margins. (They even boast about this to re-sellers :eek:)
Liquids at three times the price necessary to make a decent profit
Fake reviews on fake review sites.
Commission for clicks, reviews, whatever... if there's money to give to people to convince us all to believe this stuff - it gets paid.

... and what does the community do? Nothing... absolutely nothing. :-x

People on the this forum still put in links to the review sites that appear to be friends to vapers and vaping... but it's all about the $$$.
It is a shady business. Don't fall for it.

One day it'll all come good. That day is years off and the regulations on their way will frustrate new vapers even worse.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
Think of e-gigs and mods like computers.

If it has identical hardware inside the case, does it really matter if it says Dell, Lenovo, Alienware, HP, Sony or whatever on the case? Of course not - perhaps slight differences in customer service but, that's all.

Same for e-cigs and mods, does Halo mean it's any better that eGo, or is Kanger any better than no name tank? No - same thing, just rebranded and, that Halo is likely to be a no name knock off of an eGo, just stamped with the Halo name - probably a 2-3.00 item for them to buy wholesale.

That's the nature of sales in this world - even food does it. Are those Del Monte or Libby brand green beans really any better than the Great Value or other generic brand green beans that grew in the same fields and, were canned in the same processing plant? Nope - same beans, different label and, lower price is all.

Don't fall for marketing hype - even reviews can be paid for. How many would give a positive review of a mediocre or even bad ecig or juice for a free premium e-cig or mod (not the one being reviewed) and/or a few hundred dollars worth of free juice? Quite a few I'd bet. Not me but I know plenty that would happily push a certain not so great product in exchange for free good stuff.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
NP, like @djsvapour said, a lot of the older juice plus hardware name brands out there like Halo and V2 are a little pricey, back about 3 yrs ago, that Triton was about $100 to $120 USD as a starter kit, almost 3x the price it is now. The suggestions I made, may seem like they are a bit pricier, but in the long run the mod itself can plug and play with just about 60 to 75% of all other tanks out there, simple charging and longer battery life, and being able to set the watts on it to your taste. The Nautilus Line as I stated has been suggested over the past couple years so many times, it is a remarkable tank system, the success is at the coil heads/cartridges are one of the best out there for MTL style vaping, even I used the Nautilus for a long time when I moved up from a Kanger Protank 1. With a coffee style vape you'll max get about 3 to 5 days of use per coil head due to how coffee vapes destroy coil wicking material, but at $15USD a pack of 5 coils that is about $3 a coil head in price replacement wise, the Nautilus pays for itself in about 3 to 4 months over the cost of the V2 cartomizers you are using, almost $2 to $6USD savings each replacement over the V2 cartos.

There are also other devices out there just as effective, pen or small compact cig-a-like style units that are all in one and very, very good I would also suggest looking at the Joyetech Ego AIO (All in One tank and battery together) and the Eleaf iCare (again an All in One unit) with only needing the replacement coil heads ranging $3 to $5USD each, no variable wattage/voltage to deal with though both do have adjustable airflow, pocket friendly and very stealthy in design, for less that $20 to $30USD.

Eleaf™ iCare MINI PCC All-in-One Ultra Portable Kit - Vapor Authority <-- the iCare with additional external battery charger PCC
Joyetech™ eGo AIO All In One Kit - Vapor Authority <--- The Ego AIO

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Anyway, my question's in the title--Do most E-Liquids work with sub-ohm set-ups?? The reason I ask is because I really like the E-Liquid I've been using for over a year, but I don't like their equipment. In fact, I tried their own e-juice with their own, new, sub-ohm cartridge and it was an "adventure" (heated the hell out of my battery, while draining the charge in an hour).
Thanks.
Could read:
Wattage vs. Flavor | E-Cigarette Forum
Might want to do non sub-ohm first [sub ohm'g = under 1 ohm coil(s)]. You will get great flavor but the cloud production is not as intense as you can produce with sub ohm'g.

Reactions: MarkRNY

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Mark & welcome
I'd suggest you look at getting 2 different vape devices. Not only will this give you a backup (far better than having to take up cigs again) but it will free up one device for more experimentation on your part as to different coils and juices. Just because you may like what you have dosen't mean you won't find something you like even better.

MarkRNY

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Rockland County, NY
Again, Thanks for the responses. They're extremely helpful. Sorry it's taking me so long to respond, but I'm running around like a nut biz-wise.

djs--I Liked your post in both senses! It was very helpful. I've noticed what you mentioned about the youtube vids. That nothing ever seems to get a negative review kind of confirms what you say. I'm just looking at them now to see what the recommendations made here actually look like.

Blue Moods--This is becoming apparent. 1st step in vaping seems to be weeding through the hype. It's a big step! I've been using V2 because they've almost flooded the zone with ads and pseudo reviews. I'm in sales/marketing. Should have known better and done my homework.

IMFire--What you mentioned about coils v overpriced/underperforming carts is key to me (after learning the hard way). I appreciate it.

Just to be clear--after rereading my posts, I sound like a V2-e-liquid fanatic (lol). I'm not. It's just that I've been smoking since I was 13 (little truant type). It felt as though it was a part of me. That I'm off them now is still pretty amazing to me. Although my exposure to other e-liquid brands is almost nil, I don't want to mess with what's working for awhile--a couple of months, I guess. That's why it's an important part of whatever I choose. Your posts have helped a lot.

I'm checking out all of your suggestions. This is a great site. People here TRULY want to be helpful, and it seems to be a real community. I'm telling everyone I know who's thinking of vaping to make this site their 1st stop.

MarkRNY

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Rockland County, NY

This looks like pretty much exactly what I want to start with. I can't believe the price (lol). Feel like an idiot for sticking with what I've been using for so long.

Question-- I assume the coils are what have to be replaced on the eGo T. If I'm using 18 to 24 mg liquid and vaping pretty heavily, how often would they have to be replaced and does Tech Spot supply them? Did a search on their site and nothing came up.

Was also looking at this one too-- $7.66 eGo-C Twist / CE5 1100mAh Rechargeable E-Cigarette Starter Kit - silver / variable voltage / 2.4ohm / 1.6mL / USB charging cable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

What do you think? Same question as above as to what has to be replaced/how often.

Thanks for helping to walk me through this, Blue Moods. It's an E-Jungle out there!

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
That $7.66 eGo-c twist has 2 reviews on the link you provided. One good one and one bad one. Not a great sign.

If you are looking for something in that type of set up. Look at that type of battery eGo twist and a cartomizer like the Kangertech T3s or T3d. Better capacity and better cartomizer. Still cheap. You would need to replace the coil in the T3s or T3d every week or so.

If you go that way get a couple of the 1100 MAH batteries and two or three of the cartomizers.

T3s
$2.81 Authentic KangerTech T3S Bottom Coil Clearomizer (2.4mL) - 2.2ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

T3s Cotton Coils
$3.28 Authentic KangerTech TOCC Coil Head for T3S & MT3S BCC Clearomizers (5-Pack) - 1.8ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Ego Twist batteries
FastTech - Gadgets and Electronics

GS ego twist 2200 mah is better if authentic GS and lasts longer if you are willing to spend more.
$13.36 GS eGo II Twist 2200mAh Variable Voltage E-Cigarette Battery - 3.3-4.8V / black at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper.

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
  • From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices
  • A picture dictionary for beginners with descriptions of clearomizers, nano's, drip atomizers, bottom feeding mods, cartomizers, cartotanks, and RBA's (rebuildable atomizers). Includes video demos/reviews of all devices.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Basically you can use any EGO thread Clearomizer on almost any EGO threaded battery you want. You can also use them on almost any 510 threaded battery or mod with a 510/EGO adapter. Might look a little odd but works if looks isn’t what you are going for.

I used and still do sometimes the T3s on an Eleaf Istick 30w and even sometimes use one on an eleaf Pico 75w with the adapter that came with the istick. So the options are pretty far and wide open. The advantage to using one on a protected mod is being able to upgrade the atomizer later and already having something to run it on. Lots of options but only you can really decide what is workable for you.

These are 510 threaded but come with EGO adapter (at least the ones with the charger do). Built in battery
Eleaf Istick 30W

Eleaf Istick 50w

The links are just for reference to the items. If you decide on any of them are what you want to try, you can get them at many locations other than those links.

These are the Kangertech T3s cartomizers and coil replacements that fit them. There is a 1.5 ohm cotton wick, 1.8 ohm cotton wick the tocc coil. Also a 1.8 ohm and 1.5 ohm listed there towards the bottom which has a silica wick. The cotton tastes better.

These are the Kangerteck T3d cartomizers and coils. The coils for the t3s do not fit the T3d. The differences between the two models. The T3s hold 2.4 ml of juice and has a plastic tank with nonremovable top, and horizontal coils. The T3d is glass and holds 2.2 ml and drip tip is removable and vertical coils.

Another similar cartomizer is the Aspire ET-S BVC. Holds 3 ml and vertical coils. Glass tank with metal protector on the outside of the glass.

Uses these coils
$5.95 Authentic Aspire BVC Clearomizer Replacement Coil Head (5-Pack) 5-pack - 1.8ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread