New member long time vaper. Need help with capella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krischapel

Jun 16, 2017
Hey everyone. I've been vaping for 5 years now. I started making my own juice about 4 months ago though (just hit my first 1000ML milestone haha). When I started everything was just ok. I just wanted some better flavor. So I was recommended to try capella. Thing is, I have made several batches of capella and no matter how I make it, I get a chemical taste. Can't even vape any of it. I have tried less flavor concentrate, more concentrate, 10 different flavors (tried some flavors by themselves and some mixed) all fast chemically. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Have you tried airing it out? Sometimes after mixing, you need to leave the cap off the bottle for a day. Usually, when I get a chemical taste, I just simply leave the top off the bottle and let it air.

As far as flavors go, I usually use Capella's vanilla custard as an additive. Usually I use a %5 mix of Capella's. For most mixing, I have never went over %15 of flavoring, and usually %10 is my norm. So, in a 100ML bottle, I would use 5ml of vanilla custard, and 5ml of another flavor(s). Since I have a 100ML bottle and 100mg/ml nicotine base, I put in about 6ml of base, and fill the rest up (approx 80-85ml) of VG. Usually that works for me.

Krischapel

Jun 16, 2017
Have you tried airing it out? Sometimes after mixing, you need to leave the cap off the bottle for a day. Usually, when I get a chemical taste, I just simply leave the top off the bottle and let it air.

As far as flavors go, I usually use Capella's vanilla custard as an additive. Usually I use a %5 mix of Capella's. For most mixing, I have never went over %15 of flavoring, and usually %10 is my norm. So, in a 100ML bottle, I would use 5ml of vanilla custard, and 5ml of another flavor(s). Since I have a 100ML bottle and 100mg/ml nicotine base, I put in about 6ml of base, and fill the rest up (approx 80-85ml) of VG. Usually that works for me.

I do let it air out but not for a day. I have always just done a half day with all my other juices. I can try giving it another 12 hours. Mixing I'm at 14-15%. Stand alone I tried 7% and then went down to 5%. I do make mine 50-50 tho VG/PG.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I do let it air out but not for a day. I have always just done a half day with all my other juices. I can try giving it another 12 hours. Mixing I'm at 14-15%. Stand alone I tried 7% and then went down to 5%. I do make mine 50-50 tho VG/PG.

I would air it out a bit more. Perhaps the flavor you use needs a bit more airing out. Also, many times the juices need to steep as well. Steeping is just letting it sit on a shelf at room temperature for a few days.

Usually, I recommend for new users to get several smaller samples of flavoring to try. Some can be vaped right after made, some need some airing/steeping. This is where drippers can really come in handy. I have a Derringer atomizer, and when I try a new juice, I will build the dripper similar to what my tank uses (I use a dual coil, .7 ohm build) After I make a new flavor, I drip a few drops on some fresh cotton, and see how it tastes. The chemical taste is almost a dead giveaway for airing. Before I got into mixing my own juices, I would buy from Mt Baker Vapor, and there was one flavor that would need several days of airing out.

On a side note, have you tried the PG/VG itself to see if the taste is coming from one of those? Also, make sure it's well mixed. I put mine in a bottle and shake, and flip, and mix it up for a full 10 minutes before trying it.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Welcome to ecf.
Ecf has a huge DIY thread
DIY E-Liquid

Some flavors do have alcohol as a carrier and need to air out so it can evaporate. What flavors are you using?

Lots of ecf members diy so you may want to spend some time in that thread also. Get some good recipes and ideas and loads of help there.

:)

Krischapel

Jun 16, 2017
I would air it out a bit more. Perhaps the flavor you use needs a bit more airing out. Also, many times the juices need to steep as well. Steeping is just letting it sit on a shelf at room temperature for a few days.

Usually, I recommend for new users to get several smaller samples of flavoring to try. Some can be vaped right after made, some need some airing/steeping. This is where drippers can really come in handy. I have a Derringer atomizer, and when I try a new juice, I will build the dripper similar to what my tank uses (I use a dual coil, .7 ohm build) After I make a new flavor, I drip a few drops on some fresh cotton, and see how it tastes. The chemical taste is almost a dead giveaway for airing. Before I got into mixing my own juices, I would buy from Mt Baker Vapor, and there was one flavor that would need several days of airing out.

On a side note, have you tried the PG/VG itself to see if the taste is coming from one of those? Also, make sure it's well mixed. I put mine in a bottle and shake, and flip, and mix it up for a full 10 minutes before trying it.

Yes I steep mine. I do a hot bath for a couple days and then let it sit for a week. And as I said before my other flavors turn out fine with the same PG/VG and steeping/airing methods as making with the capella. But I guess capella just needs to air out more. I have a batch airing out right now that I just made. I will try it out tomorrow afternoon.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Yes I steep mine. I do a hot bath for a couple days and then let it sit for a week. And as I said before my other flavors turn out fine with the same PG/VG and steeping/airing methods as making with the capella. But I guess capella just needs to air out more. I have a batch airing out right now that I just made. I will try it out tomorrow afternoon.

Ok... let me know how it turns out. If you really wanted to see if it's airing, put about 3ml in a small flat like container, like on a dish. Give it more surface area to air out. If the small batch tastes better than the other part,t hen perhaps it just needs more time.

Krischapel

Jun 16, 2017
Ok... let me know how it turns out. If you really wanted to see if it's airing, put about 3ml in a small flat like container, like on a dish. Give it more surface area to air out. If the small batch tastes better than the other part,t hen perhaps it just needs more time.

I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm hoping that's all that it needs. I was super stoked because the smell is amazing haha. Especially the green apple!

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm hoping that's all that it needs. I was super stoked because the smell is amazing haha. Especially the green apple!

I can imagine. I just got three different flavors myself, and will make a new batch in about a week. LorAnn's tropical punch and bubble gum, and The Flavor Apprentice Berry crunch. I have a sneaky suspicion that LorAnn's will need quite a bit of airing, since they're geared more towards foods. I still have plenty of Capella's vanilla, which I love. :)

Krischapel

Jun 16, 2017
I can imagine. I just got three different flavors myself, and will make a new batch in about a week. LorAnn's tropical punch and bubble gum, and The Flavor Apprentice Berry crunch. I have a sneaky suspicion that LorAnn's will need quite a bit of airing, since they're geared more towards foods. I still have plenty of Capella's vanilla, which I love. :)

I'm more of a fruit flavored fan. I have some good recipes from a place called NicVape, but flavor was never super strong. That's why I am trying capella. I think they will be good, just have to figure out what I have to do differently. Hopefully it's just the fact that I have to air it out longer. I can't wait to taste it man.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
First, stop with the hot baths.. some flavours break down with heat.

Second, make sure that you have good stuff, as if you have un-trustable source, you never know what you might have in those bottles.

Vanilly custard, which version? 1 or 2? They are very different. Both both take at least a good 1 to 2 weeks to steep properly.

If you have too much or too many other flavours, they might cancel each other out, they might react badly together.

As I'm very sensitive to the chemical taste thing (and almost all store stuff end up un-vapeable to me) and Capella has been quite fine for me.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Kris & welcome
Capella generally has a good name in flavorings and just because you may not like one of their offerings is no reason not to buy others.

I am also into fruit flavors, I'm always looking for that real fresh fruit taste. To achieve it I've found that no one flavor offering does it for me but rather a combination of them does. To give you a for instance I have 10 different strawberry flavors made by 7 different vendors and not two of them are alike. I have lined them up and added a 4 drops of each to 5 ml's of VG each and then tested them one after the other. To get what I feel is a real fresh strawberry taste I've mixed 4 of them together in specific strengths to achieve it. Another for instance would be comparing TPA's strawberry to their strawberry ripe flavor, the latter hitting the higher flavor notes and with a hint of perfume to it. Cap's strawberry in comparison runs all the middle flavor notes but is somewhat muted compared to the others. Loran's has a fake candy taste to it. Inwar's is bitter and strong. TPA's covered the lower flavor notes, and Flavor West & Flavor Arts fell in the middle to higher end.

Some flavors have a tendency to be perfumy (what I'm guessing you are referring to as a chemical taste) and leaving them to air can reduce this. The citric fruits are a good example plus any taste where they add "wild" or "extra" are also usually good candidates.

The deeper you dig into DIY the more fascinating it can become. Last night I tried to make a Hannibal Nectar (Vape Wild) clone. My first attempt turned out to be a very good fruit vape though it didn't taste much like the juice I was trying to clone. I ended up with 11 different flavorings (which is a lot, maybe too much for one recipe) but they only center around 2 primary tastes, peach & orange, with 3 background tastes, blueberry strawberry & lime. However when using 2 to 3 flavorings each for the main tastes and 1 to 2 each on the backgrounders they add up quickly.

I'm vaping my new juice today and waiting to see if steeping will change it much (steeping is not always necessary with some flavors such as fruits) and whether over the next week or two my taste for it changes. I'm already thinking it has a bit too much Mandarin in it but I had added that in lieu of adding sweeteners. So far it is really good and deserves a name like Fruit Mist or Blast or something similar. If I remain liking it a lot I'll list it as a public recipe on Eliquid Recipes (and then sit back and watch the "too many flavors" complaints).

Like I said above, vaping the straight flavors and comparing them to each other is very informative as to their taste and how they are going to go together or not. To do the testing I use a small RDA called an Icecube and have it coiled with a single vertical coil. That coil has the bottom most wire wrap bent in on itself to cut across the bottom of the coil so as to make it form more like a cup. I can take a bit of otherwise waste cotton, roll it into a ball and pop it into the cup. It gives about 3 or 4 good vapes before needing to be re-dripped but the beauty is you can pull the old cotton ball out and replace it easily and quickly. You don't want any prior flavor in there when assessing a new flavor. Having tasted your line of 5mil tasters then you can start mixing them together a few drops at a time trying to find that elusive real fruit taste.

Having achieved a good solid fruit base in whatever fruit taste you are looking for then you can try adding creams or bakery to it to expand on the basic fruit taste. At least that is the way I am approaching it.

Reactions: NealBJr

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hey everyone. I've been vaping for 5 years now. I started making my own juice about 4 months ago though (just hit my first 1000ML milestone haha). When I started everything was just ok. I just wanted some better flavor. So I was recommended to try capella. Thing is, I have made several batches of capella and no matter how I make it, I get a chemical taste. Can't even vape any of it. I have tried less flavor concentrate, more concentrate, 10 different flavors (tried some flavors by themselves and some mixed) all fast chemically. Any suggestions?
Sounds like you may not of found the right CA flavors yet. Flavors like:
CA Lemon Lime
CA Sugar Cookie
CA Toasted Almond
Are among the industries best(voted by the consumers). Hang in there, DIY is a processes that can't be rushed.
I have had good luck by natural aging/steeping mixes 4 weeks and never have any issues with the above flavors.

Krischapel

Jun 16, 2017

That's all it needed!! I have tasted the entire new batch and all taste awesome!!! Just needed some more airing out. Thank you!

Reactions: NealBJr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread