Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
My observations are that JC will use the cost per ml of the last entry of an ingredient rather than an average of the entries.
Correct; @HotRod19579 has not implemented cost averaging (at least that I can detect:rolleyes:). I seem to recall that this has been discussed a couple of times, in the past, on this thread (if my memory isn't completely failing me:facepalm:).

As I recall; there was debate over what, and how, to implement averaging:

Basic cost averaging (like your example):
$0.10/mL (current inventory of 2mL left from a previous purchase)
$0.05/mL (New purchase of 30mL)
Results in $0.075/mL average (.10 + .05 = .15, .15 / 2 = .075)

or:
on-hand based cost averaging:
$0.10/mL (current inventory of 2mL left from a previous purchase)
$0.05/mL (New purchase of 30mL)
Results in $0.053 /mL average (.10 X 2 = .20, .05 X 30 = 1.50, .20 X 1.50 = 1.70, 1.70 / 32mL = .053)

or (not averaging):
"industry standard" first-in/first-out:
where all material is tracked separately, and removed (and cost applied) based on earliest purchase date (and cost).

The first two methods are "okay," but don't reflect a "true" cost, and they are subject to compounding error to the result. Notice the difference in results of the first two; yes it is only 2.2 cents, but that is a 29.3 percent variant of the difference. AND that 2.2 cents is all but the same as the initial 2.5 cents that you were concerned about to start. The only one that truly makes sense is the third option. And that one requires a fair amount of additional programming, and reconfiguring existing programming, on Rod's part, to track multiple purchases, with multiple costs, and link them all under a single ingredient.

It should(?) only truly matter to someone using the program in a professional environment; and Rod has said that is not his target demographic. Most JC personal DIYers aren't too concerned; and are fine with most recent cost. Others, who want an average, will manually input the data, calculated as preferred; or create multiple listing for the same ingredient, based on purchase date and cost, and then "change" the ingredient in their recipes as each is used up.

An easy way to create a manual method of first-in/first-out; would be to put a piece of tape, or post-it across the top of the new bottle, with a note to change the cost in the calculator when first used, along with its cost. That way, you could update the quantity when received, but don't update the cost until you actually start using the new bottle.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Bummer. Are you noticing any continued problems @Fozzy71? Or, was this just a one-off issue? I haven't noticed anything like that during my use.

Seems to have been a one time event. I often leave it open for extended periods and I recall having been in the ingredients menu looking for some recipes with specific ingredients before this happened, and may have left the ingredient window open for an extended period.

Reactions: IDJoel

bunnomatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Conway,SC
I want to clean up my ingredients list. After importing various recipes and getting peoples mispelled words, various mfg abreviations, all caps, no caps etc etc, it is a mess. Is there a way to wipe out the ingredients list and import a list of ingredients along with the grams per ml? I know I can import a recipe with ingredients but that just keeps the mess going. It is easier to correct an ingredient name in the recipe than correcting hundreds of ingredient names and adding in the grams per ml.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
I want to clean up my ingredients list. After importing various recipes and getting peoples mispelled words, various mfg abreviations, all caps, no caps etc etc, it is a mess. Is there a way to wipe out the ingredients list and import a list of ingredients along with the grams per ml? I know I can import a recipe with ingredients but that just keeps the mess going. It is easier to correct an ingredient name in the recipe than correcting hundreds of ingredient names and adding in the grams per ml.
Have you looked at Ingredient Editor? (under the Edit Menu)
upload_2017-7-6_16-25-16.png

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Is there a way to wipe out the ingredients list and import a list of ingredients along with the grams per ml?
I don't think so; I believe the recipes are linked to the ingredients, and wiping out the ingredients would wipe out the recipes too.
I had a similar situation after importing a couple of bulk batches from both juice Grinder, and E-Juice Me Up. As I recall, I used the merge/combine options HotRod has provided:
upload_2017-7-6_19-54-33.png

It was a bit tedious but it worked.

And a note on using the ingredient editor. It acts as kind of the "heart" to the whole program. All changes made there are immediate, and do not offer any sort of backup, or undo. So use it carefully.:D
You might even want to read the notes on it in the Help document before starting.

Reactions: Burnie

skineedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2015
I don't think so

You actually can do this. If you export a recipe to Excel, you will get a workbook with two tabs. One with the recipe and one with all of your ingredient inventory. Delete the recipe tab all together. On the inventory tab, you can make any changes you want, even delete and start from scratch. Then import back into JC and this will overwrite the inventory with whatever you have in your spreadsheet. Make sure you have a backup file incase it goes bad. It took me several attempts but I finally figured it out. Not perfect but I am very comfortable in excel and using this method is much faster than going through the inventory editor.

If there's any interest, I can produce a how-to walk through....

bunnomatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Conway,SC
You actually can do this. If you export a recipe to Excel, you will get a workbook with two tabs. One with the recipe and one with all of your ingredient inventory. Delete the recipe tab all together. On the inventory tab, you can make any changes you want, even delete and start from scratch. Then import back into JC and this will overwrite the inventory with whatever you have in your spreadsheet. Make sure you have a backup file incase it goes bad. It took me several attempts but I finally figured it out. Not perfect but I am very comfortable in excel and using this method is much faster than going through the inventory editor.

If there's any interest, I can produce a how-to walk through....
Wow, I wish I saw this sooner lol. I deleted everything from recipes to ingrediatents after I saw how much trouble it would be. I'll just enter it all back in and be a lot more careful about what I import and clean it up before it becomes unmanageable. Thanks for offering to help!

skineedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2015
Wow, I wish I saw this sooner lol. I deleted everything from recipes to ingrediatents after I saw how much trouble it would be. I'll just enter it all back in and be a lot more careful about what I import and clean it up before it becomes unmanageable. Thanks for offering to help!

I just realized this myself not too long ago. After manually entering new flavor concentrates for about 1.5 years.... Entering the flavor info into an excel spreadsheet and then importing into JC is much faster for me.... I just purchased 111 (someone selling their inventory) new flavors and this importing method was much faster I'm sure than manually entering them in the editor or the ingredients dialog.

skineedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2015
You could have bought 1111 flavors and the next recipe you see that you didn't make and that looks promising will have at least one flavor you don't have lol
Already happened.... But, that's too bad. As you can imagine I spent a good bit on those so, my spending is done (for the most part) for the rest of this year.

bunnomatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Conway,SC
Already happened.... But, that's too bad. As you can imagine I spent a good bit on those so, my spending is done (for the most part) for the rest of this year.
I totally understand that. I just blew my budget for the rest of the year getting 50 Flavor Art flavors which is what got me started trying to clean up that ingredient list. With a few exceptions I am going move away from using TFA flavors.

skineedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2015
With a few exceptions I am going move away from using TFA flavors.
Oh, why's that? I like TFA flavors. Mostly good flavors at reasonable prices and, they provide all the important data related to what's in the concentrate. I agree they could be a little more concentrated but, I've been pretty satisfied with them overall.

bunnomatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Conway,SC
Oh, why's that? I like TFA flavors. Mostly good flavors at reasonable prices and, they provide all the important data related to what's in the concentrate. I agree they could be a little more concentrated but, I've been pretty satisfied with them overall.
As you mentioned it's the concentration. Their flavors are good for the most part but for another dollar and a little change I can get a 30ml bottle from flavor art and it will last 4 times longer since it is such a highly concentrated flavor.

bunnomatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Conway,SC
Where do you buy your TFA flavors from?

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
As you mentioned it's the concentration. Their flavors are good for the most part but for another dollar and a little change I can get a 30ml bottle from flavor art and it will last 4 times longer since it is such a highly concentrated flavor.
This is why I am in the process of switching over to all RF SC for my flavors. More expensive than FA but not enough to make a significant difference in end cost of my juice and it keeps my money in my state. Between whats left of my non-RF flavors and the 60+ RF flavors I have bought so far I likely won't need to make a flavor order for a few years other than RY4 Double for a few of my recipes and TFA Western + CAP Menthol for my brother's girlfriend's menthol tobacco blend I make for her.

bunnomatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Conway,SC
This is why I am in the process of switching over to all RF SC for my flavors. More expensive than FA but not enough to make a significant difference in end cost of my juice and it keeps my money in my state. Between whats left of my non-RF flavors and the 60+ RF flavors I have bought so far I likely won't need to make a flavor order for a few years other than RY4 Double for a few of my recipes and TFA Western + CAP Menthol for my brother's girlfriend's menthol tobacco blend I make for her.
There is a significant price difference with those two and FA lol.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I haven't tried either of those yet. When funds recuperate SC is on my list to try. Maybe I should put RF on there too lol.
RF SC = Real Flavors Super Concentrates in my gibberish. I only just became aware of the Chinese SC line and have no plans to try any of them. I would rather try something made in the states that is tested in a US lab.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
There is a significant price difference with those two and FA lol.

Yes but it affects the end cost of mixed juice (I mix RF at 3.5% total flavoring) very little IMO and if you catch the RF on sale it isn't much more expensive at all. Most of my current stock was bought during some of their sales at 20% - 50% off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread