Central CT

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
PJReid, Have you been able to get the calc running on your Mac?

To be honest, I haven't tried any of the workarounds suggested for Mac. It just seemed like more of a project than I had time for. I might give a try when I am feeling patient.

Reactions: IDJoel

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
To be honest, I haven't tried any of the workarounds suggested for Mac. It just seemed like more of a project than I had time for. I might give a try when I am feeling patient.

Ehh.. This program is worth switching to The Dark Side. :p j/k

I have had similar problems with my juice file. I found that the File Maintenance program is perfect for fixing this type of error. In my case a line was inserted into the file with null values. Once this line was removed the file was healed. This may not be the case for you.

On this note, I worry about using the File Maintenance program to reduce the size of my ~4MB Juice File -- which slows the program down a fair bit. Does anyone know If moving recipes-only will NOT affect the main juice file's Ingredient information when moving the recipes back-and-forth?? I'm worried that moving recipes back into the main juice file will overwrite the ingredient information for the ingredients in moved recipes with old information (like amount remaining and notes, etc).

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Far from dead. I use calculator regularly and it provides all the features I could possibly want even a year ago.

Agreed.. I'll still be using it even if I have to use one of those ancient Windows 10 Virtual Machines. :thumbs:

Having said that, I do hope HotRod is ok. And that his hiatus is relaxing and peaceful. He had once said 'it can get to be a bit much' in regards to our never-ending FAQ-questions and feature requests. He has always been overly helpful in trying to answer each and every 'feedback' item from us - even when someone else had already answered it. Hopefully [when] he comes back, he can give himself a respit if someone else has already correctly answered a question. That could help keep his stress levels down.

And having said that... I always hope that single-developers of such vital programs and plugins such as this calculator (I could NEVER go back to EjMU) would set up a sort of legal 'chain of release', if you will, for if something should regretfully happen to them - or even if they just plain abandon their code. That way their source code can live on and continue to be updated by others. .... And a program like this can literally save lives! For it quickly became a massive PITA to deal with recipes in EjMU - having to re-enter similar/same ingredients all the time. It may very well prevent someone from giving up on DIY or even vaping itself - and going back to disgusting analogs. And ELR is painfully slow all the time, plus I don't want to put all my 'trust' into cloud-only storage of my recipes, no matter how bad they are.

So if people have the means to do so, please DONATE! :mad:
It doesn't even matter if this program is not being updated for the time being.. It is already more useful than anything I could have ever even dreamed of - AS IS! :w00t:

Ed Sause

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2016
@Hoggy, I use several different juice files. The first is just for R&D, the second is for active tested flavors, and a third for inactives. I have never worried about deleting a recipe, but I have never tried to transfer from one file to another and then back. I do know that when transferring a new recipe from R&D to Active, the new ingredients are added to the Active file. I haven't noticed if the values of existing ingredients are modified.
That could be a problem. Keeping an up to date inventory of ingredients may be compromised.

I will do a little testing and let you know.

Scouser

ECF Veteran
  • Aug 11, 2016
    Liverpool, UK
    here is the link. Dropbox - all my juice recipes.xml

Thank you so much for looking at it. link dropped. :/
    ok, no link then. I will paste it, though it is quite long.
    paste is too long. :/

Line 89 is the last line in the file. It is chopped off at the end leaving a trailing "<" which is the last character in the file. All the Manufacturer and ingredients list is missing. Sorry but unfortunately, whatever followed this character is lost unless you have a backup.

Scouser

ECF Veteran
  • Aug 11, 2016
    Liverpool, UK
    I doubt the file maintenance program will fix it. Do you have backups turned on? If so, have a look in the "JuiceCalculator" directory for copies of backups and open one of those files.

Did you get an error message when you last saved or exited the program?
    Did you run out of disk space or memory? I am just interested to know what could have cause this problem.

Scouser

ECF Veteran
  • Aug 11, 2016
    Liverpool, UK
    PJReid, Have you been able to get the calc running on your Mac?
    Yes, I am running mine under Yozemite 10.10.5 on a Macbook Air under Winebottler. It all works except for printing. Printing works but its messed up. There are also a few niggly bugs but I get by with them.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I'm hoping someone can help me...

I opened up Juice Calculator today to find all my file are missing. I can't figure out how to restore them or if that's even a possibility.
    Hi @Tailingred02, and welcome to ECF!
    13.gif

How about a little more info?

1. Are you running this on Windows, or some other operating system?

2. Are you using Juice Calculator's default directory locations, or did you specify your own?

3. Did you have automatic back-ups turned on?

Start by answering those; and we will see what we can do to help.:)

Reactions: 28if
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread