Bench Test Results: Sanyo NCR20650A 2900mAh 20650...equal to Ampking/EBAT/Efest/iJoy 20700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it only says "max" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

Cell photos: https://imgur (dot) com/a/DQWTP
    (Sorry for the split link but direct links to Imgur do not display properly)

Bottom Line
    This is a 20650 cell, NOT a 26650. It is 20mm in diameter and 65mm long. It is another of the larger-than-18650 size cells available along with 26650’s, 20700’s and 21700’s

This cell performs as well, or a little better than, the Ampking/EBAT/Efest/iJoy cell but not quite as well as the elusive Sanyo NCR20700A.

The shorter length of this Sanyo 20650 offers mod builders and companies a different option without compromising performance versus the mid-performance 20700’s. I do not know of any companies that have a mod that fits this size cell but a sleeve should allow them to work in a 26650 mod.

There is also the LG HG6 30A 3000mAh cell but I do not know when I’ll be testing it.

I am rating this Sanyo cell at 30A and 2900mAh.

The two cells that were tested were purchased for that purpose by me.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    Sanyo NCR20650A CC Tests.jpg

Pulse-Current Test Results
    Sanyo NCR20650A Pulse Tests.jpg Sanyo NCR20650A Pulse Tests ZOOMED.jpg

Performance Compared to the Ampking/EBAT/Efest/iJoy and NCR20700A Cells
    Sanyo NCR20650A CC Tests Comparison.jpg

Comments
    • At 10A continuous this cell delivered about 2700mAh. This is average performance for a 2900mAh cell discharged at 10A so I am rating it at 2900mAh
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2015
    Mooch do you forsee a lot of more of these great performing cells coming out in different sizes (or at least different than the most widely used 18650) in the future? The reason I ask, is there are a couple new tube mods I have my eye on, but they are strictly 18650 size tubes. If battery companies are planning to keep releasing all these different sized, great performing cells, I might have to reconsider what sized tube I purchase next.

I know that the 18650 isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. Im just wondering if I should hold off on spending $100 plus on a mech if there will be much better options coming out.

Do you see any kind of a trend here with different sized batteries becoming more popular and maybe pushing the 18650 out and do you see mod manufacturers following suit?

I know you dont have a crystal ball :) Just wondering your thoughts. Thank you.

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Derek,

The development trend is on, for sure. There are improvements in all format sizes, and they depend on the research & development level and target market involved. Remember you, as a consumer, have word and create trend, too (where do you invest your money?). My advice is for you to make up your mind with regards to your current vaping power target and lifespan. If you aim at a higher power level no doubt a bigger mod could more plentifully satisfy yourself.
    If better option is where the development is being put, for now then there's this, the Samsung 30Q, the Aspire 18350 1100mAh (BLF member Agro comfirms the OEM behind its cell is Yong Deli -YDL-; Aspire's owner is said to be a co-owner of YDL). Two 18350s in series in a mech mod could be a very nice setup if you know what you're doing, for example; higher voltage and less amps means less losses and current stress here. Wanna raw power? Get a tube capable of at least two 21700s in series, LoL! :D
    The good stuff is popular, nothing new here fellow. :rolleyes:
    Let's see what Mooch wants to chime in.
    Take care,

Salvador :)

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2015
    Well thanks. Very informative.

I always wanted to get unto trying out a dual 18350 series box. Ive only ever noticed one for sale, therefore thought they werent too popular. What would the advantages be with using a dual 18350 over a single 18650? Im guessing two 18350 cells would allow more amp load than a single cell mech? I never got into the world of the smaller cells, but always wanted to.

I just wish I could see the future, lol. My friend let me take a blast of his new mech, an El Thunder. Its manufactured out there in Russia and I guess the vape scene is crazy out there. Anyway that El Thunder is so comfortable to hold/fire. Super conductive. His battery was low, and I threw my rda on it and I was impressed. So-id love to go buy one. But it will be my last mech for a while. I already own over 20 single 18650 tubes, so im thinking I should put my money on an Admiral or one of the other 20700 mechs. This may be where the tube scene is heading. Did I just say tube scene? Sorry for that. Im leaving it in however :)

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Dual 18350's have no advantage over a single 18650.

There will be several more 20650, 20700, and 21700 (21-70) batteries becoming available but they won't replace 18650's. Millions of 18650's are made every year, used in a huge number of products, and the larger cells just aren't needed for many of those products.

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Dual 18350's have no advantage over a single 18650.
    When in series, there's the advantage of dealing with less current (P = I²R). Of course, in a mod this may be of little to no relevance if all current paths are clean and optimized (low resistance).
    For torch building/modding it makes a difference for high power handling, together with tuning up high resistance components like battery springs (spring bypass).
    You know, lots of multicell mods use cells in series, doesn't it? :)

Cheers :toast:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    When in series, there's the advantage of dealing with less current (P = I²R). Of course, in a mod this may be of little to no relevance if all current paths are clean and optimized (low resistance).
    For torch building/modding it makes a difference for high power handling, together with tuning up high resistance components like battery springs (spring bypass).
    You know, lots of multicell mods use cells in series, doesn't it? :)

Cheers :toast:

You know, the doubling of the already high overall internal resistance when operating 18350's in series is a huge issue, isn't it? :) It affects the operating temperature, voltage sag, and overall resulting current rating.

The increase in voltage by operating two low amp-rated batteries in series can offer a lowering in the current being pulled but some testing would be needed to determine if there is a net benefit or not.

Could be worth it but efficiency is an important issue not often considered when choosing batteries and their configuration.

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    I do perfectly understand what you say, Mooch, and the stuff balances up. Power dissipated in the battery (set of cells) is square of the current times resistance, so half the current affords 4 times the resistance. Other parts of the circuit also meet de I²R law, so it helps out with standard flashlight switches whose ratings are relatively low.
    The Aspire 18350s are cool cells, you know. Literally I mean. :)
    Efficiency matters to me. Despite this, we'll see how it feels to have a small ThorFire TA13 in hand with the stuff irradiating ≈37W total power (close to 30W at the led emitter) in turbo. I've already warned my friend not to let the thing in unaware hands. :rolleyes:

Cheers :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread