Long road to quitting smoking, and a hopefully simple question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattTheBrat

Aug 31, 2017
Hi, everybody!

I've been smoking for over 3 years (might not seem like a lot, but my throat doesn't seem to agree), and have been trying to quit for over half that time.
The only time I was truly successful was about a year ago when I purchased my first e-cigarette, the Eleaf iJust 2. A simple, cheap and enjoyable thing. However, at the time I was working a very physical job that involved lifting heavy things and squeezing into small spaces so after a while of having this thing in my pocket, the fire button must have squeezed or bumped against something and just broke.

I thought, never mind; I'm enjoying vaping so much that I'm going to get a temp control mod/kit (2016).
After doing not too much research I got the Joytech eVic VT kit.
It seemed OK at first but after not too long issues started to surface, the firmware wasn't upgradable and I just disliked it very much. I decided to quit vaping and smoking altogether. Big mistake as it turned out. Not long after I was tempted with cigarettes at my workplace, and not having my alternative I gave in. A week went on of me trying to not vape or smoke and I realized I was smoking every day. I tried to get back to the eVic VT, but I hated it so much I just got back to cigarettes. Now, it's been over a year, I've tried to quit cold turkey about 6 or 7 times, and my throat's been perpetually sore for half a year. I've ordered a new mod, atomizer, batteries and charger ready to quit again and not wanting any more setbacks, I've decided to come here to learn everything I need to know about how to properly use this new stuff coming in. I think I've chosen quality equipment this time around, but I only later realized I may have messed up with the batteries, so (TLDR) if anyone has the time to have a look at my setup and let me know at what wattage I can vape the setup, or what batteries I should have gotten (or maybe a different atty) I would really appreciate it.
Setup:
MOD: SMOK Alien 220W
ATTY: SMOK TFV12 Cloud Beast King
Batteries: 2X Sony Konion VTC6 3120 mAh, top max 30 A
So from what I've been reading the atty is best used between 90 and 130 Watts, while these batteries shouldn't be used at more than 100W. Is this correct? Should I switch batteries?

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
You've got the right batteries for that setup. But honestly, don't expect to get 200+ Watts all day, every day. The VT6 is 20A (about) and good for up to about 60W x 2 = 120.

The issue with 200+ Watt, two-battery mods is that while the mod is theoretically capable of being dialed up that high, we don't have 18650 batteries capable of producing the current need to hit 200+
in a dual battery setup.

Use the recommended wattage for any tank/coil as a guideline, not a hard range. You may like your vape at something less than 90 Watts. There really is no "best" setting because it all depends on individual tastes.

Good job on sticking to the commitment to quit, and welcome to ECF!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome @MattTheBrat

A few comments; make of them what you wish.

Everybody breaks the fire button on the iJust2. Don't feel like it was your fault. (Design fault).

Evic VTC (original) was an intolerably unreliable mod, again, hardly lose any sleep over that. When it was released, 'up-gradable firmware' was still in the very early days.
Personally, I would never (again) plug my mod into a computer and do anything to it. I nearly lost 2 mods messing around with them and worse still, the original 'zip' file (MVR, Joyetech) needed an unzipping utility... I downloaded one of a usually reliable download site and it infected my $950 desktop computer which required a total re-format and install (basically, it had a virus)....

Lastly (yup, a lecture) if you have a sore throat and are considering vaping at 80-100w because you can is not really logical thinking.

3 years smoking is not that long - sure, even 1 year is bad for your health so you should aim to stop, of course. Is vaping at 100w practical (money-wise on juice & coils) really necessary?

Those batteries should be OK for 120 watts from a quick think.

Good luck! :)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Only thing you'll need to pay attention to with that setup is that tank produces lots of clouds and is more a direct lung tank than the the mouth to lung type that mimics a cigarette. For wattage as already mentioned, start low and work your way high. The correct wattage will be the one you prefer most.

I would watch out with the amount of nicotine in your juice. Lots of cloud, lots of vapor, lots of absorption, so you might not need very much nic. Depending how much you smoke (let's pretend a pack a day) I'd go 6 mg max with that setup. You might even end up less.

Good luck!

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I have a Smok G-Priv 220 W and I have the Cloud Beast King, the kit I bought came with a TFV8 Big baby beast and I wanted to try the Cloud beast king. I gave it a try and it is good but I really prefer the Big baby beast, I get enough flavor and clouds from it. It gets me away from the amount of e liquid I need and battery life problems.

MattTheBrat

Aug 31, 2017
Thank you all for the replies, support and advice. Yes, I reckon that tank may be a bit overkill, but then again I still have both the iJust2 and eGo one Mega tanks from my previous two kits to play around with. Though I may just buy an extra tank. Looking for one that still produces decent vapour like the iJust 2 and yet doesn't use too much juice and still has a high juice capacity (4.5 mil or more). Also if the coils are either cheap, long lasting or both that would be great. I find it difficult to research atomizers unlike box mods because they usually come in sets with the mods, so if the above description rings any bells, please let me know.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hi and welcome. +1, for long term usage, I'd keep it 120 watts or below. I suspect you'll find that plenty, actually. For somebody who came from an eVic, 120 watts is powerful medicine...

For someone (me) who came from the original 11w Evic, 120w is unthinkable. :eek:

Incidentaly @MattTheBrat I use something called iJustS tanks (24mm) which seem quite good.
I don't think they'll get much over 40w though with decent coil life, despite what Eleaf say.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hi, everybody!

I've been smoking for over 3 years (might not seem like a lot, but my throat doesn't seem to agree), and have been trying to quit for over half that time.
The only time I was truly successful was about a year ago when I purchased my first e-cigarette, the Eleaf iJust 2. A simple, cheap and enjoyable thing. However, at the time I was working a very physical job that involved lifting heavy things and squeezing into small spaces so after a while of having this thing in my pocket, the fire button must have squeezed or bumped against something and just broke.

I thought, never mind; I'm enjoying vaping so much that I'm going to get a temp control mod/kit (2016).
After doing not too much research I got the Joytech eVic VT kit.
It seemed OK at first but after not too long issues started to surface, the firmware wasn't upgradable and I just disliked it very much. I decided to quit vaping and smoking altogether. Big mistake as it turned out. Not long after I was tempted with cigarettes at my workplace, and not having my alternative I gave in. A week went on of me trying to not vape or smoke and I realized I was smoking every day. I tried to get back to the eVic VT, but I hated it so much I just got back to cigarettes. Now, it's been over a year, I've tried to quit cold turkey about 6 or 7 times, and my throat's been perpetually sore for half a year. I've ordered a new mod, atomizer, batteries and charger ready to quit again and not wanting any more setbacks, I've decided to come here to learn everything I need to know about how to properly use this new stuff coming in. I think I've chosen quality equipment this time around, but I only later realized I may have messed up with the batteries, so (TLDR) if anyone has the time to have a look at my setup and let me know at what wattage I can vape the setup, or what batteries I should have gotten (or maybe a different atty) I would really appreciate it.
Setup:
So from what I've been reading the atty is best used between 90 and 130 Watts, while these batteries shouldn't be used at more than 100W. Is this correct? Should I switch batteries?

The smok alien is fine as you can do any normal wattage on that.. (it is not indestructible though) you might find you like a different atty on it.. Can't imagine wanting the 12, for any reason.

Grab you up a nautilus 2 though, maybe some .7 ohm coils for it and try it around 16 or so watts.. you might find some happiness there, if that tfv 12 doesn't work for you.

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Asvape Cobra has a growing fan base & long coil life, flavor chaser tank, restricted dtl I'll be ordering one this weekend. Smok BBB, Joyetech ProCoreAries, and Eleaf Ello tanks are all good with decent coils, 4-5ml, flavorful. Once you know what coils you like, order authentic from FastTech.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Setup:
Welcome and glad you joined.
I have enclosed a little information you might enjoy.
Might like to read:
http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, you may find you adore DL vaping, but it's a very different experience. With that said, yes you can use your other tanks on your mod if you prefer, and you will enjoy long battery life. I'd really start out lower than the recommended wattage however, if you are coming off cigarettes and with a sore throat. You don't need a scorching vape as the first little while of vaping is going to dry you out anyway. I'd agree with Eskie that at that setup, starting out higher than 6 nic may be overkill and you won't have a good experience. The amount of vapor you will be inhaling will be vastly different. The Nautlius 2 is a good "crossover" tank, IMO, as you can use the 1.8 coil for a true MTL experience, and the 0.7 coil if you want more clouds, though with the right setup and wattage, that coil can be run MTL as well. Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy your mod, even if you don't end up using the tank at all, or as much as you thought you would. I hope vaping works out for you this time around.

Best of luck!

Anna

MattTheBrat

Aug 31, 2017
Once again guys, thanks so much for the replies.
It's been two days now, I have to say even though I remember enjoying the eleaf tank more, the TFV12 is pretty good. At 100 - 110 W seems to be great, and I feel since it was built to withstand a lot more than that the coils should last longer than usual. Either way, It is draining the batteries more than I had hoped, and while they still last me the whole day, they almost go completely empty by the end. So yes, I'll definitely move to a less powerful tank. Letitia, FastTech seems, great, and they're HK based so no VAT :D. I've just ordered the SMOK BBB and some extra coils, amazing how cheap they are compared to my local shops. I usually like to help local retailers, but you just can't beat that price. As for the Nic strength suggestions, I've always used 3mg liquid, (might explain why I like the bigger clouds, maybe I should have gone for 6 mg but oh well), so haven't had any issues with that. Once again thank you all very much, I feel like I'm sorted now. All I need to think about now are the aromas for the liquid.Cheers!

Hi, Matt!

I find - a lot of guys will disagree - the TFV12 to be a great atty, but, in my experience, use the quadcoils and keep it around 50-60W. Reasonable clouds and battery life; I'veen using the 12 coil for a couple of weeks and yes, the clouds are astounding, but also are the batt consumption and the heat - even with a heat sink installed, it's uneasy to handle, and I don't want to think what all that heat is doing to the electronics.

Just my 0.02

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I'm glad you are handling all that vape and high wattage easily, I don't think I could. 100 watts will drain your battery pretty fast. Experimenting with wattage (regardless of what's printed on the coils) may help you out there, and using a higher resistance coil ought to bring your wattages down naturally, so it sounds like your next choice of a tank will suit you well. Congrats on returning to vaping!

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread