Mesh RDA, the next generation Reo atty from Vandy Vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Sitting in my mail box waiting to be picked up are two of Vandy Vapes newest RDA offerings, the Mesh RDA. They come with a squonk pin so can be dripped or squonked, are designed to run mesh coils (yes I said mesh coils, not mesh wicks) and can also run standard single/dual wire coils on the unique deck. No doubt with the mesh coil they would be serious cloud chuckers that use joose like it is going out of style. But if they do the sparkling clean flavor that mesh is well known for from days of yore they could also be among the best flavor atty's.
Price point for the SS and Black versions is around $25-$33, and they come with three each cut to size sample pieces of KA1, Ni80 and SS316L mesh. Extra mesh is available on 5' spools for less than $5.

Time will tell, I'll try to pick up my two tonight and start putting them through the paces.

VV Mesh RDA1.jpg

VV Mesh RDA2.jpg

VV Mesh RDA3.jpg

VV Mesh RDA4.jpg

spy2.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
The numbers show that with high drain batts that have an honest CDR/MVA that can safely handle lower sub ohm builds there should be the power to drive them on Reo P67's at upwards of 100W with the SS316L mesh. I'll know by tomorrow after I pick them up tonight, my first build will be with the SS mesh and tested on one of my P67's. I'll probably build the other one to run on one of my TC mods.

Reactions: JC Okie

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I don't think this atty will be for everyone as you will have to be on the top of your game when using it with mesh. Since I have all the time in the world to piddle around with it making it behave should be easy enough. Will also try some SS 400X400 mesh I already have in hand to see if it'll work in them.

A NoName NoGain similar to but not the same as a genesis atty has lived with me for quite some time to use on the Reos. I have hopes that these are better suited to my vaping style than it was. If not I can just run coils in them, or redirect them to the ever increasing out of service boxes.

Reactions: Letitia

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Vandy Vape is rapidly becoming a player in the low cost yet acceptable quality inventive atomizer's. That includes leaning to squonking RDA's more and more (Mesh RDA, Pulse 22, Pulse 24, Icon). I have a few of them that have seen some use, and probably will continue to see some use except for maybe the pair of Kylin's (I don't use my TC Mods much now days and am not what could be called a fan of chimney RTA's).

New Products - VANDY VAPE

Reactions: Letitia

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Going on 3AM here and I've been vaping a first build on one of the Mesh RDA's on the OG Reo P67 for about 30 minutes. Way early to draw any conclusions, so these are just first thoughts until the minutes turns into hours to days.

This build comes in at 0.18Ώ with a shortened strip of the included SS316L mesh, and is hitting at just under 100W on the Reo (I'm using a Sony VTC5A CDR25/MVA30 batt that can easily handle the build with room to spare). It took a lot of pulled and rolled CBV2 to get a tight fit in the mesh (mandatory), but I have had zero dry hits even from several long pulls chain vaped that produce massive dense vapor and great flavor. As is normal when the wick works in I expect the flavor will be even better. It squonks like a dream and has no problem at all keeping the massive amount of cotton saturated.

All for now... coffee and vape time.

mrda6s.jpg

Last edited:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
TidBit on the build I used... the included mesh strips are 10mm x 40mm. But 5mm goes down into the build deck on each side so in effect makes a 10mm x 30mm coil when installed (that nets 0.24Ώ with the SS316L mesh). That build comes too close to the top cap, so I cut 5mm off the original strip, netted a 10mm x 25mm coil when installed at 0.18Ώ that starts off hitting at 98W on the Reo with a fresh batt.

The flavor has settled in on the Mesh RDA, is cleaner, smoother than in the Goon LP that was on this Reo with the same DIY running 26 dual SS316L 3.0mm coils at 0.3Ώ/fresh batt 59W with P&R CBV2 wicks. The flavor is plenty good on both atty's but a little different. In part maybe because I mixed this DIY for that power range and the Goon LP's fluid dynamics, not for the Mesh RDA. Matters not, I like both just fine, could enjoy vaping either of them, and the Mesh RDA doesn't sweat like the Goon LP constantly does.

Note: builds were checked on DNA 75W and GX-150-H-V2 150W chipsets that got the exact same readings.

Later I'll put the Goon LP on one of the other P67's, give fresh batts to both, two fist vape them to see what the batt life difference is between them with my style of vaping. For now the new Mesh RDA will replace it though.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Update: Pushing these hard to see just how far they can be pushed, including chain vaping them (I normally don't chain vape).

I'm having no issues at all with this build running on the P67, not even when chain vaping it where I get a very surprising number of long direct lung hits between squonks. A tootle puffer could vape for days between squonks (OK, so maybe an exaggeration:)). The size of the vapor cloud when it starts tapering off lets you know when to squonk to easily avoid any possibility of a dry hit. Batt life has been quite acceptable, in fact not much different than with the big dual low sub ohm coils I normally run in the P67's. Flavor is clean, smooth, tasty, the fluid dynamics of this RDA is exceptional. It does use up some joose with my long DLH's, but it's DIY that costs me next to nothing to make so that matters not to me (I have several liters made up on hand).

Have the other one on a dual series batt TC mod with a much lower build right now, also with no issues. Can also chain vape this one with no dry hits, get at least 7-8 super massive clouds of vapor between dripping it yet still get excellent flavor. It is a bit warmer vape, and the atty itself gets warmer, but that was expected and is not an issue for me. It pales in comparison to the Noisy Crickets/Avo G's with the builds I have in them (AKA the fire breathing dragons). Also keep in mind that I don't use nicotine and little to no PG, so throat hit I can't really comment on.

CONS: Only thing I might call a minor con is the very shallow drip well. But with the massive cotton joose storage when running mesh in them they hold a hellofalot of joose, doesn't leak so not really an issue to me (know how to squonk/drip the right amount). With my regular coils/wicks in it the well should not be an issue either. No other cons have showed up so far.

No thumbs up/down yet, not until they've been online for a month or so. Bottom line reviews are mostly worthless IMO without at least that much time building for/sing the gear to learn all of its pros/cons. I will say now that these RDA's will probably not be for every Reonaut. But for those who want to cross over to the wild side a possibility.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Update: Pushing these hard to see just how far they can be pushed, including chain vaping them (I normally don't chain vape).

I'm having no issues at all with this build running on the P67, not even when chain vaping it where I get a very surprising number of long direct lung hits between squonks. A tootle puffer could vape for days between squonks (OK, so maybe an exaggeration:)). The size of the vapor cloud when it starts tapering off lets you know when to squonk to easily avoid any possibility of a dry hit. Batt life has been quite acceptable, in fact not much different than with the big dual low sub ohm coils I normally run in the P67's. Flavor is clean, smooth, tasty, the fluid dynamics of this RDA is exceptional. It does use up some joose with my long DLH's, but it's DIY that costs me next to nothing to make so that matters not to me (I have several liters made up on hand).

Have the other one on a dual series batt TC mod with a much lower build right now, also with no issues. Can also chain vape this one with no dry hits, get at least 7-8 super massive clouds of vapor between dripping it yet still get excellent flavor. It is a bit warmer vape, and the atty itself gets warmer, but that was expected and is not an issue for me. It pales in comparison to the Noisy Crickets/Avo G's with the builds I have in them (AKA the fire breathing dragons). Also keep in mind that I don't use nicotine and little to no PG, so throat hit I can't really comment on.

CONS: Only thing I might call a minor con is the very shallow drip well. But with the massive cotton joose storage when running mesh in them they hold a hellofalot of joose, doesn't leak so not really an issue to me (know how to squonk/drip the right amount). With my regular coils/wicks in it the well should not be an issue either. No other cons have showed up so far.

No thumbs up/down yet, not until they've been online for a month or so. Bottom line reviews are mostly worthless IMO without at least that much time building for/sing the gear to learn all of its pros/cons. I will say now that these RDA's will probably not be for every Reonaut. But for those who want to cross over to the wild side a possibility.

Cool.. now just need to know if it's possible to fit a large thick coil into those grooves? Large clapton or alien coil?

Reactions: Spydro

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Cool.. now just need to know if it's possible to fit a large thick coil into those grooves? Large clapton or alien coil?

I didn't measure the ample slots when I got them, mainly because I planned to only use them with mesh. Unfortunately both of them have builds in them and are on line being vaped constantly. So I can't measure them without taking a build out, and that's not on the agenda for quite some time probably.

They are so new out that there is not many pictures of them yet, nor have I found any specs on the slot. I'm including the only picture I found that may help you for now. The clamp opens all the way back under the SS deck to allow wire that will fit in the full width of the slot in the SS deck. It will not short the coil, nor will putting the tail the all the way to the bottom on the inner deck (5mm deep). The slot is very near 10mm long as the precut mesh just goes down into it. So maybe with some creative measuring of the slot length verses the slot width in the picture maybe you can get a reasonable idea of how wide the slot is. There are a couple of pictures with fancy wire builds in them on line, but not clear enough for these old eyes to know if just Claptons, Stapled Claptons, or what. You could also mash coils tails flat if they are too big to fit. Best I can offer for now.

meshrda-slots.jpg

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I didn't measure the ample slots when I got them, mainly because I planned to only use them with mesh. Unfortunately both of them have builds in them and are on line being vaped constantly. So I can't measure them without taking a build out, and that's not on the agenda for quite some time probably.

They are so new out that there is not many pictures of them yet, nor have I found any specs on the slot. I'm including the only picture I found that may help you for now. The clamp opens all the way back under the SS deck to allow wire that will fit in the full width of the slot in the SS deck. It will not short the coil, nor will putting the tail the all the way to the bottom on the inner deck (5mm deep). The slot is very near 10mm long as the precut mesh just goes down into it. So maybe with some creative measuring of the slot length verses the slot width in the picture maybe you can get a reasonable idea of how wide the slot is. There are a couple of pictures with fancy wire builds in them on line, but not clear enough for these old eyes to know if just Claptons, Stapled Claptons, or what. You could also mash coils tails flat if they are too big to fit. Best I can offer for now.

View attachment 683567

Sweet!! Sounds like one could smash them in there if needed.

Reactions: Spydro

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Sweet!! Sounds like one could smash them in there if needed.

Something I missed saying above (lack of sleep)... the positive slot by design will dictate how large of wire they will handle due to the positive insulator insert that is smaller than the SS deck cut outs.

As more reviews are made about this new RDA maybe one/some reviewer will give the max wire size. In the past some reviewers do commonly use a dial caliper to show and tell all of the dimensions.

Reactions: SteamStack

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Both of mine are still going strong 20-22 hours per day with no bobbles and no signs of degrading the mesh or the cotton reservoir yet. The shallow drip well remains the only minor con so far... if you over squonk or drip you may get some leakage of excess joose out of the CSMNT style AFC slots, or from them when you tilt to vape. But it takes very little time to learn when and how much to squonk/drip to saturate the cotton reservoir without having any standing joose on the deck or leaks of any kind. It is also very easy to know when to squonk/drip by noting the exhaled massive vapor clouds. If they taper off for a couple of hits it's time to add more joose. IOW, you don't have to keep track of how many hits you've taken to avoid a dry hit. A dry hit in these mesh builds would be a very bad experience for a direct lung hitter.

No idea how many of you have tried/use Cotton Bacon V2, but these builds use nearly half of a "stick" of it pulled and rolled, screwed in very tight under the mesh, trimmed to max length with the tails out of the mesh raked and flared wide "bowtie style", a final trim so all of it fits on the deck when tucked in yet leaves the deck in front of the mesh bare. That provides for a massive joose reservoir that easily gives me at least 10 full direct lung hits with not even a hint of a dry hit before I joose them up again. Joose, on the other hand, escapes from me quite fast from these. if you want more hits with less joose usage there is the included samples of Ni80 and KA1 mesh, or you can use single or dual coils in them.

My bottom line is still way down the road, not until after way more experimenting with more mesh builds and trying some coil builds, etc. But I do know already that these 2 RDA's will always be living with me (and probably 3-4 more of them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread