RM 2.0, LP RM 2.0 Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Parlin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hey everyone - I need some feedback here, please.

I am looking into another run of the Reomizer 2.0, since people keep asking for them and we have no more available. I have only one of the LP version here, which I am tearing apart to get specs for each of the components so I can make them here. I don't have any of the Standard Profile version available, so I can't even see what parts I need to make differently.

Here are my questions for everyone:

1. Should I only make the LP version, or do enough of you still use your Standard Profile Grands and Mini's that I need to consider making the Standard version as well?
2. Should I make them in brass, stainless, or black anodized finish?
3. Anything you would like to see improved/different on the updated version of the RM2.0 (bigger air hole, different line pattern on the outside, etc?)

If I do make the Standard version, I'm going to need a "sacrificial lamb" to tear apart and figure out how to reverse engineer it so I can make more. PM me if you are interested in giving up your RM 2.0 for an extended period of time (possibly forever) for the greater good of the Reo Family.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Eric, the RM2 and the RM2 LR are the same. The RM2 was created by Rob out of a Triangle rda on the market for cheap at that time. There were very few bottom-feeding attys to be had early on, so he just modified one (Triangle) into a bottom feeder for us. It was developed before the LP version of the REOs were, so in order to make them fit our REOs, he shaved 4-5mm (?) off the bottom. Later, when he started making LP REOs, people wanted the bottoms left on. Hence the RM2 LP.

He did the same for the RM3, RM4, RM5, etc... He modified atomizers already on the market to work for us.

He never manufactured atomizers. He found atomizers and modified them to work for us bottom-feeding Reonauts back when we were the only ones needing bottom-feeding attys. He started offering the RM1 first, then the RM2 back when rebuildable atomizers first started. There were many rebuildable dripping attys, but none for us weird Reonauts. Before that, we (since 2010) all used either standard atomizers, or cartomizers. So, when we all wanted to go to rebuilding, Rob modified a bunch of different dripping atomizers so we could use them.

Times have changed. Right now there are dozens and dozens of BF attys on the market that work with our REOs. Turns out REO was just 8-10 years ahead of the herd. Now, bottom-feeding is a big thing and there is no shortage of atomizers that are either made for BF, or include a BF pin in the package.

I'd suggest maybe finding a decent little BF atty or two for a decent price and offering them on the site for those customers who want or need one-stop shopping. I would think manufacturing your own BF atty would be pretty major.

Last edited:

Vapefiend

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Connecticut
I would love a standard grand rm2 or even low profile in stainless steel. The whole reason I've never tried an rm2 is the brass and nickel. I can taste those metals in my vape and although there have been tests I still worry about lead leeching out. If you do go the route of designing your own atomizer or finding ones to bottom feed please keep in mind not all of us are cloud chasing subohm big air vapers. Alot of atomizers today are 22mm 24mm and bigger which look hideous on a grand. I'd like a smaller diameter option to be available meaning 18mm and smaller for those of us who like to mtl and restricted air. As Robert said to me "any small atomizer will give great flavor" I have never been able to get the flavor from a 14mm atomizer off a 22mm. I know a lot of people like the bigger atomizers these days but let's meet in the middle somehow.

Last edited:

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Yes small rba attys are hard to find.. the trend is larger and larger rba in the 24mm+ even 30mm as now there's bigger and bigger regulated mods with dual to quad batteries.

22mm became the standard cause of 18650 tube mods. I could not get into them. Great for those that want a large low ohm coil and do lung hits. Way too airy for me and my small 1ohm coils. Hard to keep the coil close to the edge where the air hole is. Chamber too large to heat up for flavor.

Now I'm on a mission to make that large coil super sub ohm and need a larger rba with large post holes for it so I'm stuck with 22mm rba.

Rob always said large attys were stupid cause you need to build a huge coil just to achieve what you can get out of a small atty with a normal small coil.. Prob right.. but I'm bored and want huge clouds out of boredom! Haha

My 2 cents.. make a rm2 out of stainless steel!! Whole thing.. drop the ceramic deck as that was the weak link for me as it stains. So new stainless steel concaved deck so the juice retracts right after squanking to help with leaking.. make large post holes to hold a fat fused clampton/alien coil.. single coil with a larger standard hole or adjustable air.. all that in a 18mm size and it would sell!!

Vapefiend

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Connecticut
Yes small rba attys are hard to find.. the trend is larger and larger rba in the 24mm+ even 30mm as now there's bigger and bigger regulated mods with dual to quad batteries.

22mm became the standard cause of 18650 tube mods. I could not get into them. Great for those that want a large low ohm coil and do lung hits. Way too airy for me and my small 1ohm coils. Hard to keep the coil close to the edge where the air hole is. Chamber too large to heat up for flavor.

Now I'm on a mission to make that large coil super sub ohm and need a larger rba with large post holes for it so I'm stuck with 22mm rba.

Rob always said large attys were stupid cause you need to build a huge coil just to achieve what you can get out of a small atty with a normal small coil.. Prob right.. but I'm bored and want huge clouds out of boredom! Haha

My 2 cents.. make a rm2 out of stainless steel!! Whole thing.. drop the ceramic deck as that was the weak link for me as it stains. So new stainless steel concaved deck so the juice retracts right after squanking to help with leaking.. make large post holes to hold a fat fused clampton/alien coil.. single coil with a larger standard hole or adjustable air.. all that in a 18mm size and it would sell!!
I like your idea except the bigger hole or adjustable air. I'd rather drill to my liking. I find adjustable airflow usually gets messy unless it's top airflow.

Reactions: Izan

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
@Eric Parlin,

You asked for opinions, so I hope you realize both some negative and positive thoughts are meant to be food for thought.
Do you have a buying customer base yet that can support diving into new products? If this forum is an indication it sure hasn't taken off like I had hoped it would when even drop by folks who were very active in the old days don't stick around. With the hiatus of the forum for so long folks tend to move on to other things. Without the forum and new products I have to assume Rob's sales went down.

I think the most successful of the RM's was the RM2. Great for MTL, usable drilled out large for restricted DLH's, and at a low price point as modified commercial atty's. The low cost is arguably one of the major reasons why so many were sold. A price I doubt you could compete with making them from scratch. Nickle plated was far better than raw brass that imparts a taste (probably was not marine brass), but if you are going to make more new from scratch I'd suggest that you go with SS. Lose the ceramic deck that traps old joose/mold if not cleaned often. The Black Ano on ? ...aluminum I suppose. Do you have a quality shop that can reliably do ano right in your area? Rob didn't, why he dropped the ano Reos - too many looses. With so many Reos out there that would be favorably set off by a black RM2 it might be a hot ticket.

The tootle puffer/restricted draw BF atty's never really got it done for my DLH's, so were not used for very long. Not just the RM's, but the Cyclones, Hornet, ERA's, Chalice II and III's, Nuppin', O-16's and so on. So I wouldn't be a buying customer of anymore RM2's.

@SteamStack,

I'm perfectly happy with all my currently used 22mm-25mm BF RDA's running monster wire, dual monster size low Ω coils that give me massive dense clouds of flavor... except on this Reo.

wood-calamityjane.jpg

I just can't get away from this used and abused Lady of the Night who has lived with many others before me... with her warped mind and ajar door, and the drilled out custom RM2 made just for her running the biggest coil I can in her. Like my early OG Reos, she is part of Reo history and I'm happy that I have her.

It's the only "RM" anything I still use.

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2013
    Gabriola Island, Canada
    Well, a couple of thoughts...

The RM2 is a legend in Reoville - the golden age of bf RDA's from back when there were mebbee 1 or 2 other choices. It has to be the most widely distributed atty ever made available from REOS Mods.

Now, the world has moved on and there are many 14-16mm bf RDAs available today - many of which are better made and, arguably, deliver better performance, but the RM2 delivered a great single coil MTL experience at a low cost with a very accommodating/forgiving build deck. It is/was easy to build on, the cap was easy to mod if needed, and the flavour performance is/was excellent.

I believe REOS needs to have an atty that expresses those qualities - for newbies, tootle puffers, and those who just want a simple quality no fuss MTL vape to go with their Reo (irrespective of experience vaping - there are 7 year vets in here for whom it's their go-to atty). The RM3 and Chalice III are good atties, but the RM2 is/was more flexible and less finicky.

Soooo... more RM2's? Sure, if triangle clones can be had easily. If not, maybe consider another low cost atty with the same qualities.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2013
    Gabriola Island, Canada
    @Eric Parlin,

View attachment 684621
    I just can't get away from this used and abused Lady of the Night who has lived with many others before me... with her warped mind and ajar door, and the drilled out custom RM2 made just for her running the biggest coil I can in her. Like my early OG Reos, she is part of Reo history and I'm happy that I have her.

It's the only "RM" anything I still use.

Of all your woodvils, she's my favourite, Spydie.

JC Okie

REOnaut
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Tulsa, OK

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    When I started using the REO, the purchase was kind of daunting. The concept of the bottom feeder was so foreign coming from a regulated using a Kanger ProTank. Fortunately, there was this forum and I got a lot of advice. All of it was good and all of it centered around choosing the LP Grand, AW batteries and the venerable RM2. I did that and have stayed with the REO and RM2 for years.

As more BF atomizers came on the market, I bought some but always came back to the RM2. It was simple, easy build, single coil, simple modification for air and great flavor. I think that there will always be a market for the RM2 for beginners who want to get everything at one place certain that everything will work together and for some of us who just like the simple stuff.

I wonder about producing many other atomizers, if it would be profitable. When I started, REO was it, now the market is flooded with six dollar units that work as well as the over one hundred dollar stuff. My point is not to debate clones but rather to mention the economics of competing with China in the atty market. If any new atomizers work well and catch on, the Chinese will beat the hell out of you on price.

If you do offer a new RM2, I like many of the previous suggestions, solid stainless without the ceramic deck and larger wire holes. (I don't use complex coils or very thick wires, I am old and some nights the small holes are difficult to negotiate.) On the air flow, I always drilled mine out, I don't know how you you could make an RM2 cap that would satisfy everyone.

Long winded, I rarely write so much. Good luck, I like the eye to innovation and seeking feed back from those of us for whom the REO is king. And for whom there is no substitute be it plain, fancy, regulated or year long waits with secret hand shakes to get in.

Vapefiend

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2015
    Connecticut
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread