Reo Grand LP - MTL advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

citral

Sep 9, 2017
Hello everyone, I'm new here as I got a reo very recently. I'm off from cigarettes since 2 months, and as I'm doing multi-day hikes regulary I wanted something really reliable, leak-proof, and decided a reo would probably be my best bet. With a Grand LP/SL I'm not disapointed with quality and weight I have to say.

However the first builds didn't get me anywhere I wanted to. I had tried quite a lot of RTAs in my first 2 months of vaping and settled on a serpent SMM with a big clapton around .45 ohms in it (went full DL after only one week of vaping and never looked back except for coffee or late evening). Could not reproduce that kind of flavor/vapor quality/quantity for days with a narda or hadaly on the reo, trying everything from very small claptons to spaced coils (all kanthal A1) but persevered as I kept reading those were flavor beasts so I must been doing something wrong.

That was until my SS316L order arrived and I combined 26ga, 6 wraps spaced coil with dropping the ohms to about .4, finally; WOW. It's more like biting in a fruit than vaping with the hadaly built like that :) The battery life suffers a lot tho. But whenever I go walking the dog or somewhere I won't have access to a backup device I never reach for a regulated anymore :) love the simplicity and weight, it's great !

I also made the origen little work as a very restricted DL hitter with 8 wraps of the same wire at around .5 ohm.

Still, it's not enough battery life for a 3 days hike, and I'm struggling to find a MTL build that works (need to up nic and battery life for lightweight hiking). I have a kayfun v5 clone that works well at home at 1.2 ohms and 15-20W on regulated but doesn't give anything on the reo.

The candidates BF rda I have for MTL are the origen little and speed revolution. On that last one I tried 8 wraps 30ga 316L at 1.2 ohms but it's like nothing comes out of it. Is it irrealistic and I should drop to .8 ohm?

Thanks for any advice.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Build what works for you and just buy like 4 batteries. Personally I change my battery when my bottle is half full.. Just fill it then as it's easier to squank when the bottle is close to full then it is when it's half empty. Battery usually is around 3.8-4v when I swap it.

With the little 16 I ran mostly around 1ohm.. 30g 5 wrap around a 2.5mm rod.

My current fav on the origin little 16 is using 30g kanthal a1 in a fused Clapton build 5 wrap around a 2mm rod.. comes out to around .6-.7ohms.

Gona try a triple 30g fused Clapton with a 36g wrap and see if I can get it around .6-.7ohms.

Also what may work is another reo! Haha.. seriously.. always have multiple reos on me.. at least 2 when I leave the house if I can. Just encase a coil or wick goes.

No build or battery is Gona last you 3 days. The safest voltage you want that battery to drop to is around 3.5v is say.. though rated is 2.5v but you won't be able to vape much after 3.5v anyways.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Also a trusted place to buy batteries is Authentic AW, Sony, LG, Samsung Batteries

They even give you a free battery case with every 2 batteries you buy. That would come in handy on carrying your batteries on those hikes.

I store my batteries at home in a 4 pack case.

citral

Sep 9, 2017
Thanks that's a good starting point with the 30g 5 wraps, I looked in steam engine and found out 1 wrap and .2 ohms (1 vs 1.2) makes a HUGE difference in heat flux with such a thin wire. Will try that tomorrow. Also please don't get me started... already thinking about adding a second reo to my stash haha

I have an orange with black door, so I don't forget it in the middle of nowhere (sometimes after 60km in 2 days walking I'm so tired I forget things at camp places) but would really love an all black wrinkle for everyday. Could actually get an black with orange door and swap doors to have an all-orange one for hiking... Must... Resist...

citral

Sep 9, 2017
Also I know I won't get 3 days off 1 battery, I'm running the .4 build on lg hg2 so well within specs and take 2 spares with me when out. I naturally swap them at 3.7v when it starts to get weak.

But for hiking I plan to build for 3500mah 10A lgs so around 1 ohm is better, plus DL is not a "must-have" in this scenario, would happily mtl 12mg am4a around a campfire, don't need it when walking

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Also I know I won't get 3 days off 1 battery, I'm running the .4 build on lg hg2 so well within specs and take 2 spares with me when out. I naturally swap them at 3.7v when it starts to get weak.

But for hiking I plan to build for 3500mah 10A lgs so around 1 ohm is better, plus DL is not a "must-have" in this scenario, would happily mtl 12mg am4a around a campfire, don't need it when walking

1ohm has made me happy for many years.. should hit the spot. I normally chain vape all day long and 1ohm is best so I don't get nic wasted like that happens when I try .2-.4ohms after 3 hits. Hehe

Orange is hot! Would love a reo in that Orange.. yellow is a newer color that would stick out and get noticed as well.

Still gota grab me a tumbled alumium raw sl.. thst finish is best and if It ever gets scratched or dinged one can easily sand or buff like new again.

Hahaha careful.. I don't know anyone with just one reo!

citral

Sep 9, 2017
That orange is a little bit subdued to my taste tho, more like a red-orange. Still gorgeous mind you :)

604986DSCF2876.jpg

citral

Sep 9, 2017
Tried 1 ohm 30g 316L today on the speed revolution, and while getting there it's not quite like it still. I suspect that as resistance of 316L increases with heat, while a good thing for DL it's bad for MTL. Will go back to kanthal A1 28g for that atty and see what it gives.

It's such a learning curve on mechs, not very forgiving, but like all the things we put some effort and learn in the process it's rewarding when it finally works.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Tried 1 ohm 30g 316L today on the speed revolution, and while getting there it's not quite like it still. I suspect that as resistance of 316L increases with heat, while a good thing for DL it's bad for MTL. Will go back to kanthal A1 28g for that atty and see what it gives.

It's such a learning curve on mechs, not very forgiving, but like all the things we put some effort and learn in the process it's rewarding when it finally works.

You don't have 30g in kanthal? Grab some.

Yeah last ing curve for as atty as to what build works best for you.. why I usually grab 2 of each atty.. that way I can experiment with the builds.

Reactions: citral

citral

Sep 9, 2017
Yeah well I'm already thinking about the future... the more I use the O-little the more I love it, it has this "condensed wet" vape quality I love, I'd love to have 3 reos each with an O-little on it, one with dual coil for "those days" or when I feel like a power vape, one with single .5 for everyday, and one built for MTL to chill.

I swear the first regulated to die won't be replaced by anything else but a Reo Grand LP/SL all black wrinkle, and the second one by a hammer tone haha

Still like my dovpo MVV (simple, reliable vv mod) and wish to keep it tho, there's something to be said about cranking power on a big 3.5mm alien clapton, I like it too.

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
For mouth to lung on the O-16 I use a single contact coil 2.5mm 316SL 28AWG at around 1 ohm built close to the air hole. top of the coil level with the top of the posts. I use the middle sized air hole on one side only. I have found that for mouth to lung 50/50 pg/vg works well with this set up as the juice produces the vapour at a lower temperature. Higher PG ratio juices also tend to give more throat hit and a stronger flavour, but they don't make massive clouds.....

In the end though you will need to experiment for yourself..... What I or anyone else likes makes no difference. Its what you like that counts. When you find a build you like, make a note of it so that you can come back to it again. Its worth moving the coil around in the airflow and trying different drip tips etc with each build as these changes can also make a marked difference in the vape.

citral

Sep 9, 2017
Thanks layzee. Yes it's what I like what counts, just polling for experience as I don't have much time those days, friday is off tho will spend time on it.

One build a day in the quest for Nirvana : 6 wraps of 28 ga 316L @.65 ohms cold. I'm not too comfortable building the coil on one side as it creates a heat imbalance I'm not too pleased with. In the middle, it's too cold for DL, and too airy for MTL with the 2 smallest holes open, but kind of good with the middle hole on one side only.

The O-16 is so versatile it's great.

132145IMG20170911102157.jpg

citral

Sep 9, 2017
Got some more time to play today. I understand what I've been doing wrong all this time : thinking "it's not for .05 ohms / 1 wrap" but actually .45 is night and day with .4 ohms on a mech (or one wrap difference), it's not the same mass, heat flux, 5W difference, granted on a big clapton powered by dual batteries and regulated it doesn't change much, but in a tiny chamber like the O-16 and fixed voltage it's the difference between a cold vape that never seems to "get there" and a pleasant warm one.

God what a relief, things will be much easier now

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I find on all attys I've had how you line up the coil to the air hole matters. I need to have it perfectly centered on the hole and right in front of it or it's bad.. as in hot metal taste.

I tried that middle build in the 16 first long sgo.. never worked for me.. basicly the same for top air rbas. Can't get those to work for me neither.. others can haha.

citral

Sep 9, 2017
I get it to work pretty good because the cotton and post funnel the air to the coil, but I agree coil height makes a lot of difference. Top air RBAs... yeah gave up (but didn't throw away... yet) the pulse 22, I don't "get it". It's just cold no matter what.

I love the airflow of the serpent SMM, side + bottom side, it has its drawback tho it's loud cause it's making 2 90° turns before hitting the coil, one can't have everything I suppose

Reactions: SteamStack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread