New to vaping, hoping it will help my A.D.D. Tips appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keoce

Sep 13, 2017
Hi, I'm Keoce, I'm 21, I'm allergic to traditional Ciggerette smoke (Dry eyes, sneezing, etc after some time around the smoke), and I have A.D.D. I've been thinking about it for some time now, wondering if vaping will help alleviate my A.D.D symptoms, mostly attention, memory, and depression.

I haven't bought a model yet, since I know absolutely nothing about what I need for myself. Since I haven't had anything with nicotine before, I am unsure what kind of liquid...er juice..er...yeah I should get, and what amount of nicotine should be in it. I've read a little here on the forum that Nicotine CAN help with A.D.D symptoms. I have read that some people hadn't got enough with liquid containing 6mg or less, and 12-18-24mg helped much better. Though I haven't had nicotine before, I don't know what I should start with...what's the downside of too much?

I read a bit that the bigger, higher voltage models can be more efficient, and can "feed the vapor in" easier, than some of the more smaller, cheaper models. Money isn't too much of a problem for me on this, so what model should I get, what settings should I have? (Also settings...I didn't know that was a thing for these things..)

Ok ok before I type the Great Wall of text, I'll just wrap it up here. Any tips in general will be much appreciated for a newbie like me to get started on this. Model suggestions, liquid / juice suggestions (vegetable base or not), settings, anything will help. Thanks guys!

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi, I'm Keoce, I'm 21, I'm allergic to traditional Ciggerette smoke (Dry eyes, sneezing, etc after some time around the smoke), and I have A.D.D. I've been thinking about it for some time now, wondering if vaping will help alleviate my A.D.D symptoms, mostly attention, memory, and depression.

I haven't bought a model yet, since I know absolutely nothing about what I need for myself. Since I haven't had anything with nicotine before, I am unsure what kind of liquid...er juice..er...yeah I should get, and what amount of nicotine should be in it. I've read a little here on the forum that Nicotine CAN help with A.D.D symptoms. I have read that some people hadn't got enough with liquid containing 6mg or less, and 12-18-24mg helped much better. Though I haven't had nicotine before, I don't know what I should start with...what's the downside of too much?

I read a bit that the bigger, higher voltage models can be more efficient, and can "feed the vapor in" easier, than some of the more smaller, cheaper models. Money isn't too much of a problem for me on this, so what model should I get, what settings should I have? (Also settings...I didn't know that was a thing for these things..)

Ok ok before I type the Great Wall of text, I'll just wrap it up here. Any tips in general will be much appreciated for a newbie like me to get started on this. Model suggestions, liquid / juice suggestions (vegetable base or not), settings, anything will help. Thanks guys!

Hi and welcome,

Consult with your doctor before attempting to self medicate.

Patches and gum are available OTC in most places. Have you consider the NRT options available?

Cheers
I

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Speaking as an add sufferer yes, kind of, but not really in the long run. Nicotine is more of an anti anxiety than a stimulant, the stimulant effect has serious neural down stepping issues which is why nicotine is addictive.
I suggest traditional add medication first. See a psychiatrist or psychpharmacologist to address add medication issues.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
My son is ADD and nicotine doesn't help him in the least. The doctor gives him Ritalin for his ADD. He vapes to get off cigarettes, not to help his ADD.

Coffee can sometimes help mild cases of ADD,but it's the only thing I know of that is not prescribed which can help an ADD person, so it depends on how severe your ADD is whether or not coffee will help.

If coffee helps a little but not enough, your best bet is prescription medication. Talk to your doctor about what you can take to help you..FIRST. If your ADD, then you already have a long history with doctors, just explain to them how you feel..

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I have adhd and vape and don't think it helps at all, it likely worsens symptoms but I vape to not smoke. The only non-prescription things that can be vaped that have helped me over the past 25+ years can't be discussed on this forum.

ADD patients need stimulants, not depressants. Anything that depresses the system of a normal person won't work for true ADD because everything has the opposite affect in an ADD patient. Hence why ritalin, which is speed for most, makes an add patient calm..

Reactions: Letitia

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
ADD patients need stimulants, not depressants. Anything that depresses the system of a normal person won't work for true ADD because everything has the opposite affect in an ADD patient. Hence why ritalin, which is speed for most, makes an add patient calm..

hmmm is nic a stimulant or depressant?

Reactions: Letitia

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have some knowledge of ADHD and while I think nicotine may be a temporary help in the short term, I wouldn't recommend vaping OR smoking to resolve ADHD in any kind of long term way, the brain down-regulates itself and really, the only thing that is truly noticeable is that folks may get a bit more spacy when they quit, but their brain adjusts and recalibrates though it may take time. Honestly, for ADHD, best bet is prescription medication under a psychiatrist's advice. Many people do very well on Ritalin, Adderall, or some of their derivatives. I really think that's a more lasting solution, though if you are asking about it, I guess it's possible that you've tried those options and either didn't get much relief, or had undesirable side effects? If that's not the case, I'd recommend checking some out.

Depression and ADHD are two very separate animals. You may have both together, but I'm not sure vaping is going to help you with that. Some TOBACCO alkaloids and tar contain MAOIs (rather weakly, it's not the same as a true MAOI, though there is a real effect) but vaping usually contains nicotine only. Nicotine is a stimulant, it may help with lethargy for a short amount of time, but again, your brain is going to up- or down-regulate something to compensate. Most anti-depressants don't do that in the same fashion-- they aren't "addictive" in the sense that you don't need to keep upping your medication once it starts working (though some may have a discontinuation effect).

I'd really want to hear a great reason for vaping instead of treating your disorders in perhaps a less unhealthy way, I mean, trying to smoke cigarettes and then turning to vaping isn't good for your health. I do understand the desperation in wanting *something, anything* to work, but I honestly don't think smoking OR vaping is worth it to treat these side effects. While ADHD meds can be unpleasant, they're actually one of the earliest psychiatric medications and tend to be extremely safe with a rather decent track record. If you are looking to find MAOI action with tobacco or nicotine alone (which won't really work, otherwise drinking more coffee would treat your depression) then the safest MAOI is Emsam, which is a transdermal patch. My son was on it for a while, it's an activating antidepressant and did actually seem to help him with focus. Most psychiatrists are terrified of MAOIs, so I doubt it's the first thing they'd be handing over.... Even though Emsam avoids many of the dietary and other restrictions than MAOIs. The FDA said that could only be "listed" at the lowest dose, though during testing, ANY dose of EMSAM did not cause problems with food interactions or drug interactions, as it's a completely different delivery system.

Here's why I bothered to type all this out: I don't think starting a vape habit will help in more than the most transitory of ways, and I'd really like to know what you've tried *besides smoking* to help your symptoms before I even address how to vape, what to vape (which would be a MTL setup that delivers a small stream of vapor, and for you since you are nic naiive, I'd say starting LOW, like 2 or 3 ml at MAX, as you aren't "transitioning" from cigarettes, you are *starting out with vaping*) and I still think there are way better options for you. I always used to *wince* hearing parents of kids shoveling a teaspoon of coffee into their kid's mouth prior to sending them to school for "ADHD". For the most part, that doesn't work, and I always feel bad that the kid didn't get better treatment. Nor would I have been handing my 6 year old a vape and telling them to puff on it when they're getting distracted.

But, best of luck whatever you decide!

Anna

Anna

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
hmmm is nic a stimulant or depressant?

Depending on the amount used it can be either/or, is my understanding. Too much nicotine and it becomes a depressant.. small amounts and it's a stimulant. This is how I've always understood nicotine.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Speaking as a long-term nic addict, if you don't use nic, don't start. If you're hearing something different from a medical doctor, I'll keep my mouth shut. But otherwise, run away. Now, if you want to vape no-nic juice because you think it might help, that's different. Either way, welcome to the board.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Speaking as a long-term nic addict, if you don't use nic, don't start. If you're hearing something different from a medical doctor, I'll keep my mouth shut. But otherwise, run away. Now, if you want to vape no-nic juice because you think it might help, that's different. Either way, welcome to the board.
There are a number of things you can vape that don't contain nic that might help adhd symptoms, unfortunately we can't discuss them on this forum. Other vape forums have no issues with these items/topics thankfully.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Any tips in general will be much appreciated for a newbie like me to get started on this. Model suggestions, liquid / juice suggestions (vegetable base or not), settings, anything will help. Thanks guys!
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might like to read:
Guide: The Beginners Guide to Vaping | onVaping
I haven't bought a model yet, since I know absolutely nothing about what I need for myself.
Vaping can become habit forming, you may want to consider if vaping is going to improve or complicate your present health situation(could consult with a doctor).

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread