Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
...I roll RxW in cling wrap, makes it easier to get started without cutting a point on it, easier to screw in.

It's a great idea Spy. Sometimes Nextel can dry out so much that wetting it simply doesn't hold down the fraying. And for wick media that's been cleaned which has more of a tendency to splay. Don't toss it in frustration.

Kinda disheartening how hard it is to find this stuff in a forum this large when new peeps are lookin' for a solution. Key threads that broke ground by lots of users on ECF just seem to get buried, lost in the shuffle and not readily found by Information Retrieval…like this seminal thread on clearomizer (Protank) rebuilding, one of three threads which really layed out the basics and import of localization in rebuilding. Happens to be high temp silica rope but applies, I dropped this back in April 2014...

The Cellophane Wrap (Rossum took me to task for naming it this)

...Cut a small square of cello and fold the end of your wick material (don't cut any off) into the center of the square. The tip of the wick a half-inch or so from the edge of the square. Squeeze the wick firmly and press all the air out of the folded square. With a very flat straight edge metal or plastic ruler (thin plastic book markers are a good example, thin transparent rulers, another) hold the wick down firmly and edge underneath the wick tightly from end-to-end while you press in with the straight edge. Great, you have now compressed the wick almost 50%. Holding the wick with fingertips cut away about 3/4 of the cellophane from the rectangle. Now, roll a cigarette with it. The real skinny kind (if you get my meanin'). The result should be very well be almost half the Ø you started with. Oh yea, that extra strip of cello at the end, cut it on the bias. You now have a needle. A little heat (not flame) and you can harden it. Pull that through your coil and beyond, remove the cello, pull the wick back the other way as needed and you've got your set …at the correct diameter for that wick! [Orig. published April, 2014}

Treasure trove here on ECF, if only.

Good luck and thanks for pointing out that solution.

:)

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
It's a great idea Spy. Sometimes Nextel can dry out so much that wetting it simply doesn't hold down the fraying. And for wick media that's been cleaned which has more of a tendency to splay. Don't toss it in frustration.

Kinda disheartening how hard it is to find this stuff in a forum this large when new peeps are lookin' for a solution. Key threads that broke ground by lots of users on ECF just seem to get buried, lost in the shuffle and not readily found by Information Retrieval…like this seminal thread on clearomizer (Protank) rebuilding, one of three threads which really layed out the basics and import of localization in rebuilding. Happens to be high temp silica rope but applies, I dropped this back in April 2014...

The Cellophane Wrap (Rossum took me to task for naming it this)

Treasure trove here on ECF, if only.

Good luck and thanks for pointing out that solution.

:)

I started using RxW Feb 2015. So I wouldn't have seen or looked for something posted almost a year before then, especially about rebuilding a topper I disliked when I got them spring 2013 so put them in The Box never to see the light of day again. Had used various clear wrap materials for similar with other things for ages.

True, a lot of information that has been shared on forums is buried deep in old threads, or lost completely when Admin removes sub forums instead of archiving them. Add that with a search engine that might get you to a thread but not a specific post you'd really have to want the information bad to weed through threads that can have up to 1500 posts to find it.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I started using RxW Feb 2015. So I wouldn't have seen or looked for something posted almost a year before then, especially about rebuilding a topper I disliked when I got them spring 2013 so put them in The Box never to see the light of day again. Had used various clear wrap materials for similar with other things for ages.

True, a lot of information that has been shared on forums is buried deep in old threads, or lost completely when Admin removes sub forums instead of archiving them. Add that with a search engine that might get you to a thread but not a specific post you'd really have to want the information bad to weed through threads that can have up to 1500 posts to find it.

Hope you understand, I appreciate your ingenuity. And the fact that you posted your idea. My frustration comes from the fact that so many have paid their dues and made the effort to inform others. Hats off to you. Now back to the poor schmuck whose tryin' to quit. A simple idea — bookmark and pass it on. They shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel or rely on Alibaba Clapton ads to know what a vape is. We need new vapers particularly rebuilders who appreciate the vape enough to want to be involved. To learn how to get the best from their vape and safely. That evidence to all that we can and do. That's where I'm coming from. Why I'm here on this thread. Peeps are serious 'bout getting the best out of Nextel.

Thanks and g'luck Spy. :)

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Hope you understand, I appreciate your ingenuity. And the fact that you posted your idea. My frustration comes from the fact that so many have paid their dues and made the effort to inform others. Hats off to you. Now back to the poor schmuck whose tryin' to quit. A simple idea — bookmark and pass it on. They shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel or rely on Alibaba Clapton ads to know what a vape is. We need new vapers particularly rebuilders who appreciate the vape enough to want to be involved. To learn how to get the best from their vape and safely. That evidence to all that we can and do. That's where I'm coming from. Why I'm here on this thread. Peeps are serious 'bout getting the best out of Nextel.

Thanks and g'luck Spy. :)

Understood the intent of your post completely, was agreeing. I've paid my dues on the Internet since the 80's, financially supporting, authoring, global moderating sites and helping folks in many interest specific areas that I had very long experience in. Now I only follow vaping, for almost three years, including financially on this site for two of them until it unceremoniously expired unannounced a while back. Much of my knowledge about vaping came from researching this site thoroughly early on for two months 'before' I jumped on the bandwagon and started buying gear/doing DIY. And a lot more learned from folks here and in the worldwide vaping community since who walked the walk before me. The several supplier forums I've ran here when I bought their gear have always had folks quick to help that know the correct answers, some that have the desire to help but don't, and all but one of them owners who were very active on their forums doing so as well.

:2c: Buried/lost useful information is often a product of a less than stellar search engine, or a users inability to use the one provided; deleted world class information is common when a site becomes so massive that Admin saves some of the almighty buck by deleting old material/problematic forums instead of archiving them as read only. It's their house, so that's their decision alone.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I agree too. And organizing an info resource as formidable as ECF is a monumental proposition. You can't even retrace old convo's on something like Reddit and purges are commonplace, I understand. Not sure how keyword relevancy weighting works on XF but its been prolly the greatest disappointment. It's quick tho. Periodically it takes something like @Keeferes put together here...One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers | E-Cigarette Forum to put it in perspective…along with the mod's appreciation of the need to get it pinned. Periodically for others to step up, do the homework and craft updates as the tech changes so damned fast. So mine is a bit of rant I guess to hopefully nudge others to do what you did, those have.

Again, thx your understanding Spy. Good luck! :)

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Well, might as well put this to bed. I have gone back to my Rayon. Just haven't been able to get comfortable with the RxW, still have a little left, so may revisit it at some point, but for now, just couldn't hang with it. Maybe later guys.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Added more 4mm, so all set with what will be more than a lifetime supply of RxW for me. 2mm (now called 1.7mm) don't use, I don't do tiny coils... 3mm (now called 2.7mm) that has been the workhorse from the start... and 4mm that is the main workhorse now days.

RXW4.jpg

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Added more 4mm, so all set with what will be more than a lifetime supply of RxW for me. 2mm (now called 1.7mm) don't use, I don't do tiny coils... 3mm (now called 2.7mm) that has been the workhorse from the start... and 4mm that is the main workhorse now days.

View attachment 683503

Talk to me Spy. Whatcha windin' on Ø?

Good luck. :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Which diameter RxW are you asking about?

Sorry bout that. Gotta bit caught up in this little IRMA thing. I meant either but particularly the 4mm.
Baffled why this incredible media is so ignored despite the accolades by so many who've got it workin right.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Sorry bout that. Gotta bit caught up in this little IRMA thing. I meant either but particularly the 4mm.
Baffled why this incredible media is so ignored despite the accolades by so many who've got it workin right.

I talked to Jeremy about the 4mm,and confirmed why the name change of the smaller diameter RxW's. With the smaller sizes I think the intent was to more accurately rename them for the approximate minimum size of coils they were intended for instead of approximating their maximum size. Many new and even old customers were confused and not getting the most out of their RxW's. So per that the starting place is 4mm coils for 4mm RxW (2.7mm & 1.7mm for the smaller wicks) and up from there 'in his opinion'. That might be a fix all for some folks, but not for me. Naturally I found my own happy place. That is my standard operating procedure as a wolf that blazes his own trails and doesn't follow the flock. Splitting hairs maybe, but I also take into account what kind of coils I run the RxW in, the fluid dynamics of the atty, the DIY I will run on it, etc. So not all of my 4mm RxW builds (or the 2.7mm's) are in a standard size size any more than I would ever use generic builds to run it in.

What works for my personal vaping style and wants works very well for me. What works for other folks and their personal wants and style they will need to do the work themselves to find their own happy spot if they want to get the most from what their RxW can give.

Last comment... You nailed the answer with 'got it working right'. A very large percentage of vapers take the easiest route to vaping, follow whatever the flock is doing and get by with just that. Most folks probably don't have the time in their busy lives to take it to a higher level, and there are always those that are just plain lazy and want someone else to do it for them. That's just fine if that's all they want out of vaping, it is after all entirely their choice. But they are missing out on a lot of the finer points in vaping. It's the same IMO when they only vape premade liquids instead of making their own to their own personal taste for use in the gear they mixed it for.

You earn your own truly perfect personal vapes, you can't just buy them.

AIMO YMMV

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I talked to Jeremy about the 4mm,and confirmed why the name change of the smaller diameter RxW's. With the smaller sizes I think the intent was to more accurately rename them for the approximate minimum size of coils they were intended for instead of approximating their maximum size. Many new and even old customers were confused and not getting the most out of their RxW's. So per that the starting place is 4mm coils for 4mm RxW (2.7mm & 1.7mm for the smaller wicks) and up from there 'in his opinion'. That might be a fix all for some folks, but not for me. Naturally I found my own happy place. That is my standard operating procedure as a wolf that blazes his own trails and doesn't follow the flock. Splitting hairs maybe, but I also take into account what kind of coils I run the RxW in, the fluid dynamics of the atty, the DIY I will run on it, etc. So not all of my 4mm RxW builds (or the 2.7mm's) are in a standard size size any more than I would ever use generic builds to run it in.

What works for my personal vaping style and wants works very well for me. What works for other folks and their personal wants and style they will need to do the work themselves to find their own happy spot if they want to get the most from what their RxW can give.

Last comment... You nailed the answer with 'got it working right'. A very large percentage of vapers take the easiest route to vaping, follow whatever the flock is doing and get by with just that. Most folks probably don't have the time in their busy lives to take it to a higher level, and there are always those that are just plain lazy and want someone else to do it for them. That's just fine if that's all they want out of vaping, it is after all entirely their choice. But they are missing out on a lot of the finer points in vaping. It's the same IMO when they only vape premade liquids instead of making their own to their own personal taste for use in the gear they mixed it for.

You earn your own truly perfect personal vapes, you can't just buy them.

AIMO YMMV

That's the dark and wonderful secret of vaping. There is no one-size-fits-all. Getting to that perfect place varies with everything we use as well as how we use it. But the basic knowledge and mechanics to get there is as simple and elegant as nature itself. Be curious like a child and we find it.

Good luck spy. Try tension! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread