REOnaut Roundup???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
You would have thought that Eric would have a list of past customer's email address's etc from Rob when he bought the business.

But I think one of the main reasons it's quiet, is that there is not anything new to talk about really. Last new mods were 18 months ago.

In Eric's position I would be doing some market research in the liquid feed area of ecf about what people would like and getting a new mod out ASAP.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I've took some time to think about this before posting...I was watching this thread and saw that most totally missed the point. A lot of folks have moved on from the forum in general, and being a fan of another vendor that closed, have witnessed droves of members dissapear before and after the closure...it happens.

REOs mods heyday was when there really weren't great options available, there were carto's, vivi novas, clearo's like the T3, and a few dripping atomizers...the vaping world exploded...Rob knew that and even said in the closing thread that people don't need a REO to quit smoking anymore. I posted in a thread that I thought that 2016 was going to be the year of the squonker...squonking did in fact catch on, and there are now a few regulated squonkers using quality chip sets that fit the bill. Mechanical mods in general have kind of fallen by the wayside. Folks like the first hit same as the last that a regulated mod offers, and regulated does use more of the batteries discharge curve so one gets longer run time on a battery.

There will always be a subset of vapers that appreciate and want the pure vape that a mechanical squonkers like the REO offers, I am one of them, don't get me wrong, I love my REOs mods...got about 15 or more of them, and each one is special to me, but frankly, quite a few of them were bought in the classies form folks moving on. Today there are a few 2015 woodies sitting there at a hundred less than retail, and there they sit, waiting for a buyer. Years past they would have been snatched up in minutes or hours...it is what it is. I don't have any answers, just personal observations here, but maybe the key to success lies in going where the market is...and the market is dominated by regulated mods...

Well thought out comments @ENAUD, thank you for posting them.

Yes I too well know about "moving on". From KR808 gear 4.5 years ago to my first 18XXX 510 tube nods very soon after, to the ProVari's, the wonderful mech VapourArt tube mods from Greece, the Reos and with a bunch of odd balls of various descriptions tossed in all along the way. When Reoville closed on ECF I moved on to another forum overseas where it was all about regulated TC Mods, but also had a very small community of Reo users. So when in Rome... I bought a bunch of regulated TC mods and dozens of RDA's, RTA's. RDTA's for them. They work, they are not my thing. While there I realized that my End Game was in fact the Reos. I went back to them and left that forum. I'm old so am Old Skol about most things. The mech Reos work for me, I have every aspect on them and my DIY dialed in... I get the best vapes I have ever had from the Reos. Yes I wanted to try regulated squonking, how much they cost mattered not to me. But the only one with high quality that appealed to me was impossible to get coming from the elitist Secret Society that I refuse to support (Hellfire Shadow).

I have also seen how manufacture forums die when they have saturated the market with their gear, or folks move on the next horizon. With Reoville being shut down for near a year and a half it may never come back. A notable example is VapourArt's forum that is a dead graveyard now days when in it's glory days it got 1000 of more posts daily. Despite Perseas continuing to add new mod innovations it just never came back. Saw the same on By Leo's forum in Greece that I bought many toppers from for the ProVari's. And have seen many others die as well. Maybe the days of the mech mods are ending. With so many uninformed/lazy vaper's out there, what I've seen and heard of over the years happen to them, new vapers probably should start with a regulated mod that will help keep them out of trouble.

There has been a lot of comments already about getting some brand new Reo products out ASAP. I'm sure Eric would love to do that, but! I have no idea what Eric and Rob worked out on the purchase of Resmods, it's stock, supplies, equipment, etc. But do know that Rob had something close to 1000 Reos in stock just a few months ago, with most if not all of them the older models. Buying Reosmods, moving it, getting it set back up, etc would have been a costly proposition for Eric and Cindy. Diving into the R&D of and making brand new models would also be very costly. It will take time.

A regulated Reo? Is that a direction Eric is even interested in exploring? Would developing, tooling up and making them be cost effective when they would have to compete with the China Syndrome? I'd love to have a Reo DNA75W, or even just a dual series battery mech Reo. How about the Resin Reos? But would any of these ideas sell enough units to be a worthwhile business venture? IMO not from the interest level I'm seeing on this Reoville forum so far.

A few folks have stopped by when they heard that Reoville was open again, but most never came back again. There was nothing here for them, including the banter this forum once had. So I will offer a suggestion for @Eric Parlin to consider... it would help if you (and Cindy if willing) regularly took an active roll in this forum like Rob did. Getting even the very few folks that are here talking daily again would be a step in the right direction.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Not many making regulated bottom fed mods but there starting to take notice that people want them.

In fact I just bought my first ever DNA mods that are bottom fed last night. Highly doubt it will be as easy and simple to use as a reo!

Still will be first in line if reosmods makes one!

A poll would be nice but I bet it would need to happen outside this forum.

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I really don't think the time of mechanical mods, and particularly mechanical squonkers is past. Judging from the number of 3D printed mechanical squonkers out there, I believe the mech market is alive and well. There are just more suppliers in the game now. FB is loaded with them.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    The FDA issue has not gone away.
    US manufactures are still required to register their current products by 9/30/17.
    I suspect Rob had already done this, as the process was simple and free.
    The regulation of no new products manufactured after 8/8/16 allowed to be sold in the US market, still stands.
    Only the time to submit PMTAs for current products was extended.
    Of course many US manufactures are not following this.
    Will the FDA enforce the regs?....who knows, maybe Eric is waiting to see what the future holds, before investing in new products?

Last edited:

classwife

Admin
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 9, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    I'm always here :)

beef-nachos-just-out-of-the-oven-taking-chip.jpg

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    Not many making regulated bottom fed mods but there starting to take notice that people want them.

In fact I just bought my first ever DNA mods that are bottom fed last night. Highly doubt it will be as easy and simple to use as a reo!

Still will be first in line if reosmods makes one!

A poll would be nice but I bet it would need to happen outside this forum.
    you might find it easier to use...build a coil, fire it, and adjust the wattage for where you want the power to be...vape till battery empty...rinse...repeat.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    The FDA issue has not gone away.
    US manufactures are still required to register their current products by 9/30/17.
    I suspect Rob had already done this, as the process was simple and free.
    The regulation of no new products manufactured after 8/8/16 allowed to be sold in the US market, still stands.
    Only the time to submit PMTAs for current products was extended.
    Of course many US manufactures are not following this.
    Will the FDA enforce the regs?....who knows, maybe Eric is waiting to see what the future holds, before investing in new products?

That is a really huge point! Any products not registered can be removed from the market, who knows how aggresive they will enforce this in light of the recent change in direction that Gottlieb announced a few weeks back but the rules are still in play at this point in time...

Eric Parlin

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    I really don't think the time of mechanical mods, and particularly mechanical squonkers is past. Judging from the number of 3D printed mechanical squonkers out there, I believe the mech market is alive and well. There are just more suppliers in the game now. FB is loaded with them.

As a manufacturer, this trend is very worrisome.

I know that what Rob developed is very simple and elegant, and I believe that a person with average mechanical aptitude could easily make a clone in their garage without too much difficulty. Where I lose sleep at night is knowing that some of these folks will take shortcuts, skip safety measures, etc. and there will be a battery fire or explosion. Then, the media will run another story about how unsafe vaping is, without ever mentioning how many house fires happen annually due to cigarettes. Public perception of vaping is driven largely by these outlier events and I believe the frequency of mishaps will only increase as more suppliers get into the market.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 7, 2014
    Macomb, MI, USA
    As a manufacturer, this trend is very worrisome.

I know that what Rob developed is very simple and elegant, and I believe that a person with average mechanical aptitude could easily make a clone in their garage without too much difficulty. Where I lose sleep at night is knowing that some of these folks will take shortcuts, skip safety measures, etc. and there will be a battery fire or explosion. Then, the media will run another story about how unsafe vaping is, without ever mentioning how many house fires happen annually due to cigarettes. Public perception of vaping is driven largely by these outlier events and I believe the frequency of mishaps will only increase as more suppliers get into the market.

Just keep that fail safe spring in your mech mods and advertise as much about how safe the mod is and all will be fine!

In fact how strange is this.. while I was reading your post my freakin spring dropped on my reo grand lp/sl!! No idea why other then the small reo magnet I have on the flat top battery was pushed over from pressing down too hard on the button and the possitive contact pushed the magnet over and it touched the outer edge of the negative side and shorted.. it had to be cause I felt the button give and a nice long sizzle!!

:/

Careful reading the post above haha.. that's never happened to me prior ever!

Thank God for that spring! I think it's now 3 springs that saved me in prob 7 years of reos.

20170921_110521.jpg

20170921_110537.jpg

Just added pics to prove it! Haba

Last edited:

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 27, 2015
    I have always used flat tops. Never used a magnet. I just tweaked the positive contact with some long nose pliers to get the button throw I wanted.
    Much safer in my opinion. I've used the same positive contact for well over two years, no problems. FWIW I've used the same mod all day every day as my only device, that button must have been pressed close to 300,000 times :)

Most mechs these days don't have a hot spring or fuse. That's why I don't use most mechs..........

SteamStack

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 7, 2014
    Macomb, MI, USA
    @SteamStack

K&J Magnetics 1/4"x1/32" D401-N52

This magnet is large enough to just fit into the "button" notch on plastic insert with little wiggle room. It is about twice the diameter of the REO door magnet. If you want to use a magnet, you might try this one.

Thanks.. I remember reading about those. Saves me the trouble hunting for the post.

Might try that or add some epoxy to the bottom of the button to make up the difference.

I just can't are the thought of not always pressing the button hard enough and causing arching with nothing on the flat battery.. start pitting on the battery and contact.

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    ...just because you can use a magnet on top of a battery to make it work doesn't mean you should :)
    Please be safe
    I totally agree here. Magnets are not a great idea.

^ Agree. ^
    It's a 'you can lead a mule to water, but you can't make it drink' thing. :)

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 27, 2015
    Got to be honest @ SteamStack I really would not worry about not pressing the button hard enough causing the arching. You will get a certain amount of arching no matter what battery you use. Every time you make or break the circuit it's going to happen but it's much more destructive when breaking a contact rather than making it. All you can do is use something like deoxit and if possible reduce the amount of current flowing just before you break the circuit.
    I suppose the magnet will stop the pitting on the battery (it will still happen on the Reo's positive contact though) but if the magnet slips and makes contact with the positive post of the battery and the outer shell of the battery you will have a direct short. The hot spring won't even be in the circuit.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread