Status
Not open for further replies.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I totally agree here. Magnets are not a great idea.

Rob himself never approved of the use of magnets. It's a dangerous practice, especially with REO door magnets, which are too small in diameter. They can and do slide, and if there's even a slight tear or nick in the insulator, the magnet can create a short. I don't like the idea of 'At least the spring will protect me.'
Perhaps the fact that the REO Grand was designed to be used with button top batteries is a bit dated. Back when the Grand was designed, everybody was using AW batteries, and vaping at much higher resistances, and lower watts than many are now.
It's one of several reasons I think the P67 is a superior mod. It eliminated direct battery contact with the switch.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Wen using it with the small reo batteries for like close to 2 years I bet. Never had a problem ever.. batts wont slid around unless i move them.

I can even put it on the battery charger and it's all good.

There's no tear on the top batt sleeve so no idea how it shorted other then the batts not centered "as the positive contact isint either) and it skipped off and pushed the magnet to the edge and ahorted.. Though would assume it it was shorted the bat would of got real hot real fast till I moved the battery which I didn't.

Atty was fine and didnt touch the coil afterwards and after replacing the spring as was fine.

Still will use it that way.. I have 2 more springs if it happened's again.

Would think someone would make a 30amp button top battery already.

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
My guess is the magnet shifted and made contact with the side of the mod, while still connected to the positive. The hot spring would not have gone otherwise.

The hot springs don't sag because the battery gets hot, they sag because of the amount of current flowing through them heats them up, they soften and then collapse. In effect they are a second coil designed to collapse above a certain current level.

Worst case scenario is the magnet shifts and tears either the insulation ring or the battery wrap and makes direct contact with the negative portion of the battery. If this happened the current flowing would be HUGE. Way beyond what the battery is intended for. The magnet may well end up welded across positive and negative. THE END RESULT OF THIS IS AN EXECPTIONALY BAD DAY.

If you really must use magnets consider adding a dab of epoxy to the side of the magnet once it has been put on the battery positive. It should stop it shifting sideways by accident.

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
My guess is the magnet shifted and made contact with the side of the mod, while still connected to the positive. The hot spring would not have gone otherwise.

The hot springs don't sag because the battery gets hot, they sag because of the amount of current flowing through them heats them up, they soften and then collapse. In effect they are a second coil designed to collapse above a certain current level.

Worst case scenario is the magnet shifts and tears either the insulation ring or the battery wrap and makes direct contact with the negative portion of the battery. If this happened the current flowing would be HUGE. Way beyond what the battery is intended for. The magnet may well end up welded across positive and negative. THE END RESULT OF THIS IS AN EXECPTIONALY BAD DAY.

If you really must use magnets consider adding a dab of epoxy to the side of the magnet once it has been put on the battery positive. It should stop it shifting sideways by accident.

What you say is true. I hadn't thought about it much, but it makes sense. If the magnet slipped, and made a direct short between the + and - poles of the battery, the spring wouldn't even be in the circuit.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Who’s the guy that was making all our avatars a while back? Who ever he was, he made mine. I was thinking the reos mods swag design would be right up his alley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be the infamous @DoogieTony and I haven't seen him around here for a couple years at best...

• Informative
Reactions: JC Okie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread