Smok alien started smoking on coffee table

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZxSpaZ

Sep 22, 2017
So I bought a smok alien(acid blue) in late January of this year and 2 weeks ago it decided that it just randomly wanted to start smoking brown and black from the vent holes on the top of the device. After about maybe 1 min max of hearing a sizzling and smelling the burnt electrical components I quickly grab the device and took the batteries out. The battery don't seem to be damaged and the wraps are fine, should I throw them out? The mod is toast and the tesla shadow tank I had on it was fine. Any ideas as to what happened? Should I disgard the batteries and tank that was on the mod when it malfunctioned? Now I have no mod and itching to vape

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Tank's probably fine with a good clean, but I wouldn't use those batteries either because you basically had a thermal runaway (that's what it sounds like) and if you don't know why, well it COULD be the batteries, besides which you don't know how hot they got in the mod, so even if it's the mod, I would trash the batteries.

Sorry you don't have a mod, hopefully you can replace it soon. If that happened to *me* I'd have a really hard time replacing with the same mod, but that is just me. You know, it happens. I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've been vaping for several years now, and something that I learned early on was to have backups for everything that I used to vape: Battery device, batteries, tank or atomizer, coils for that atomizer, and e-liquid.

Without personally inspecting the innards of your device and going strictly on your description of events, it sounds like your circuit board malfunctioned and overheated. Normally regulated chipsets have built-in protection programs, but occassionally we read of mods which overheat and smoke, and/or rarely explode.

I would recycle the batteries just to be safe if it was me. Batteries are relatively cheap.

ZxSpaZ

Sep 22, 2017
I tossed the mod, the batteries I'll recycle at my local shop. Hoping to win one of the Ijoy's from the giveaway. If not definitely in the market for a new mod, have a few tanks and rda's was thinking of maybe the Revenger by Vaporesso or the Voopoo Drag box. Loved the alien but would never use one again over the simple fact of what happened, in fact it kindle turned me away from anything smok

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
Smok seems to be a popular brand but I see way too many posts like yours to ever pick up anything by them. Reminds me of inokin a few years ago. Nice looking stuff but very hit and miss in quality. But then again I like Kanger stuff and some folks hate them for the same reason. Guess it's the nature of anything made in China. You pay your bucks and hope for the best.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
I tossed the mod, the batteries I'll recycle at my local shop. Hoping to win one of the Ijoy's from the giveaway. If not definitely in the market for a new mod, have a few tanks and rda's was thinking of maybe the Revenger by Vaporesso or the Voopoo Drag box. Loved the alien but would never use one again over the simple fact of what happened, in fact it kindle turned me away from anything smok
Yes, there have been ongoing problems with Smok Aliens, I know I won't be buying Smok Mods again. When I replaced mine I did my research and picked up the Smoant Battlestar because I could find absolutely no bad reviews on them and they have been out for a while. I also picked up The Smoant Charon 218. These are well made quality devices for under $50. I also picked up the Ijoy Captain PD270, and while I like it, I can't get past the fact that the ohms reads off by .02 on most of my builds. I know its not enough to make a difference but it still bothers me. A nice mod though.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Glad you have narrowed it down, I think those are all good choices. If your wife isn't a vaper, that's not unusual, you know? It's a lack of understanding of the nature of replacing vape gear with cigarette packs, etc.

My husband was pretty tolerant with the whole thing, fortunately. :) But, no big purchases for me, still, at the moment. Which is fine, I had my day in the sun, LOL, and I definitely have backups! :)

Anna

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
My 3 choices right now are either the vaporesso revenger, voopoo drag or the battle star. my wife doesn't seem to think i need more than one mod, she doesn't understand my non vaping struggle. I can't be without a mod in the future so I'm going to be prepared this time around

I have a Revenger, a Drag, and now a RX Gen 3.
I just got the Gen 3 so can't really offer anything up on it. I love my Revenger. It's light, battery friendly (within reason), does everything well, and looks great.

The Drag is just as good, although doesn't look as good. It's heavy, metal, and pretty reliable. Not a huge fan of the menu system or the new update that turns off your device after 10 minutes of no use. Doesn't seem to be as friendly with the batteries, although that could just be me.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Battlestar. I haven't used one but have seen it's praises here on ECF.

Good luck, hope you enjoy whatever you end up with.

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
They were good lg h2's but I'm willing to trash. And r77 save your nonsense for someone else, its smoke if the ejuice isn't what's burning nimrod. Ejuice=vapor wires burning=smoke
We seem to have an epidemic of Burning mods, mainly Smok Alien ( a popular mod), the common denominators( which make the post suspect) seem to be 1) a new member...2) a popular mod...3) An attitude by the OP .........ZXspazxx.....it appears you are just looking for trouble/or trying to make trouble

Reactions: LMS62

ZxSpaZ

Sep 22, 2017
The post is not suspect brother and nobody is looking for trouble. Just trying to get info from a FORUM for VAPERS seeing as I don't know many in my area to ask. Besides who has enough time to come on here posting about a mod randomly deciding to turn itself on fire, lucky it wasn't in my hand or near my face or the batteries didn't vent.

Reactions: stols001

ZxSpaZ

Sep 22, 2017
I have a Revenger, a Drag, and now a RX Gen 3.
I just got the Gen 3 so can't really offer anything up on it. I love my Revenger. It's light, battery friendly (within reason), does everything well, and looks great.

The Drag is just as good, although doesn't look as good. It's heavy, metal, and pretty reliable. Not a huge fan of the menu system or the new update that turns off your device after 10 minutes of no use. Doesn't seem to be as friendly with the batteries, although that could just be me.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Battlestar. I haven't used one but have seen it's praises here on ECF.

Good luck, hope you enjoy whatever you end up with.
Thank you for your opinion

ZxSpaZ

Sep 22, 2017
Glad you have narrowed it down, I think those are all good choices. If your wife isn't a vaper, that's not unusual, you know? It's a lack of understanding of the nature of replacing vape gear with cigarette packs, etc.

My husband was pretty tolerant with the whole thing, fortunately. :) But, no big purchases for me, still, at the moment. Which is fine, I had my day in the sun, LOL, and I definitely have backups! :)

Anna
Which is exactly what I'm doing, using disgusting analogs, after 1 year. The vape shops in my area are so OVer priced on mods, you could buy 2 for the same price online. I want to make my own juice soon too

Reactions: stols001

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Which is exactly what I'm doing, using disgusting analogs, after 1 year. The vape shops in my area are so OVer priced on mods, you could buy 2 for the same price online. I want to make my own juice soon too
No, don't start smoking the nasties. Battlestars can be picked up fairly cheap online for under $50 or you can order an Eleaf I stick Pico which is an excellent little mod for under $30 even free shipping on ebay. It is a 1 battery 75 watt device but the Smok Baby Beast tank works great on it. It will keep you going until you can afford something better or it will be an excellent back up device.

PS, I found nothing suspect about your post, you have come to the right place for help. Good luck and good vapes:vapor:

Last edited:

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Before I would recycle or condemn the batteries I would check them first for standing voltage after this incident and then status after a full charge. Just because the device smoked doesn't mean the batteries were stressed in any way. It could have been e-Liquid intrusion or contamination that caused the MOD to short out and did not draw more that minimal voltage from them. Just my opinion and how I would go about deciding on the proper course of action.

Reactions: ZxSpaZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread