Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Spydro might just have beaten me to the grumpy old ....... of the year title. i'll have to up my game.

T

No doubt with the issues in my life that I have to deal with 24/7/365 I have good days, bad days and far more bad days than good days. So there will be days when no matter how pure the intent is I am not interested in also dealing with unsolicited advice from others.

Forums are just role playing... so how about you being Max Goldman, I'll be Grandpa Gustafson and Jan can be Arial Truax?

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Forums are just role playing... so how about you being Max Goldman, I'll be Grandpa Gustafson and Jan can be Arial Truax?

Not for me they’re not. The only time I role play is when I’m playing Witcher or Skyrim. Otherwise, I’m the same in person as I am on forums and FB.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
No doubt with the issues in my life that I have to deal with 24/7/365 I have good days, bad days and far more bad days than good days. So there will be days when no matter how pure the intent is I am not interested in also dealing with unsolicited advice from others.

I had to look up Arial Truax......didn't have a clue. :lol: I love Ann-Margaret, so it works for me. Ha.

But I agree with @Rule62 that this is not role-playing for me. This is the only forum I've ever been on, and it's as real for me as real life. It IS my real life.....I feel like my friendships on here are even more "real," and just as important to me, as any I have in "real" life. That might be really naive. It might be really sad. (Not to me; I'm a happy camper.) I'm getting old; please humor me.

Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Not for me they’re not. The only time I role play is when I’m playing Witcher or Skyrim. Otherwise, I’m the same in person as I am on forums and FB.

I am what I have always been, not necessarily always consistent but not fake. Had to look up Witcher and Skyrim. I didn't have to look up Ann Margaret.

• Haha
Reactions: JC Okie

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I am what I have always been, not necessarily always consistent but not fake. Had to look up Witcher and Skyrim. I didn't have to look up Ann Margaret.
I had to look them ALL up. :lol: I mean, I know Ann-Margaret, but didn't know the Arial Truax reference. Ha.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada

Cool, I can be... wait... there's only Maria Ragetti left.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Jan plays Witcher and Skyrim??!! I could soooooo see you as an Altmer High Elf :thumbs:
I'm wearing Google out today trying to keep up with the gamers! I just meant I agreed with the being your authentic self on the forum part. On an OT note, I stood in line from 3:00 a.m. 'til opening at Best buy to grab a little SNES Classic console on Friday. My role-playing is limited to pretending that I'm Super Mario.... I've had one foot in here and one foot in Marioworld all weekend. How lame is that?!?! :lol:

Last edited:

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Ultima Online, then Everquest, then WOW. Before that, BBS SysOps was tons of fun. I'm a reader/strategist by nature. Not a forum poster and I detest texting. I'm vocal - Ventrillo and Teamspeak opened up another world for me. I do love reading though. Guess I'm just a lurker throwing out random stuff here and there...like this post. Haha

Sent from my 5049W using Tapatalk

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Ultima Online, then Everquest, then WOW. Before that, BBS SysOps was tons of fun. I'm a reader/strategist by nature. Not a forum poster and I detest texting. I'm vocal - Ventrillo and Teamspeak opened up another world for me. I do love reading though. Guess I'm just a lurker throwing out random stuff here and there...like this post. Haha

Sent from my 5049W using Tapatalk
Heh - I actually worked on two of those. Made games for 20+ years. Ran a BBS and wrote MUDs for a portion of that - MMO's before the term existed.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I'm wearing Google out today trying to keep up with the gamers! I just meant I agreed with the being your authentic self on the forum part. On an OT note, I stood in line from 3:00 a.m. 'til opening at Best Buy to grab a little SNES Classic console on Friday. My role-playing is limited to pretending that I'm Super Mario.... I've had one foot in here and one foot in Marioworld all weekend. How lame is that?!?! :lol:
Why you hipster, you.

SNES is totally 'deck' with the lumberjack beard and mackinaw set. So, BTW, is vaping, and I get nods of approval from them when they see me brandishing a reo. Because of this and my history in gaming, I get called "OG" around the office.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Why you hipster, you.

SNES is totally 'deck' with the lumberjack beard and mackinaw set. So, BTW, is vaping, and I get nods of approval from them when they see me brandishing a reo. Because of this and my history in gaming, I get called "OG" around the office.
:lol:

I wish (with this new system of reactions) we could use more than one little thingy. I hate having to choose between a "like" and a "funny."

My son came over last night (he's 35) and checked out the SNES. I asked him which games he remembered playing and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said ALL of them. Then proceeded to school me in one after another after another.....going through most of the 21 games on it. It was fun just watching. Funny how he could just pick up that little controller and not miss a beat. Muscle memory. Awesome. Donkey Kong was hilarious.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA

I wish (with this new system of reactions) we could use more than one little thingy. I hate having to choose between a "like" and a "funny."

My son came over last night (he's 35) and checked out the SNES. I asked him which games he remembered playing and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said ALL of them. Then proceeded to school me in one after another after another.....going through most of the 21 games on it. It was fun just watching. Funny how he could just pick up that little controller and not miss a beat. Muscle memory. Awesome. Donkey Kong was hilarious.

Awesome! Love to grab one and prob would if I catch one by chance at the store.just think my young kids would not be interested in it much at 8 and 12. :/

Reactions: Papa_Lazarou

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Awesome! Love to grab one and prob would if I catch one by chance at the store.just think my young kids would not be interested in it much at 8 and 12. :/
No, Steam, I don't think this generation of kids would have anything to do with it. My grandkids would NOT be interested in the least. (They're 8 and 10.) It's really all about nostalgia. This was for me....not them. LOL. I only wish it had Tetris. I was seriously addicted to Tetris in the 90s........

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I had never had much exposure to games, except for a little Tiger Woods Golf, when I used to have a desk top computer.
But last Christmas, Ms Rule gave me an Xbox One. Odd present, I thought, for an old geezer like me. Never the less, I had heard about RPG games, and decided to give one a try, after a brief time of p,aging Madden Football, and driving around with Forza.
Geez...since that time, I’ve become totally addicted. I’ve been known to spend pretty much all day, and on into the night, slaying monsters, killing and looting various bandits, and saving the world from destruction, at the hands of monsters, magic spells, and ancient prophecy.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada

Completely different mind set today - for both the players and the makers. Not better, not worse. I'm a first generation video game maker and I eventually found peace with the 'advancements' when I reconciled it to be like music - each wave has its place. Donkey Kong to Fallout; Lawrence Welk to Led Zeppelin.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Completely different mind set today - for both the players and the makers. Not better, not worse. I'm a first generation video game maker and I eventually found peace with the 'advancements' when I reconciled it to be like music - each wave has its place. Donkey Kong to Fallout; Lawrence Welk to Led Zeppelin.
Exactly. Kids today are so used to awesome graphics. They would laugh out loud (literally) if they even SAW these 1990s games.

Edit to add: With music, kids may make fun of the oldies, but they still know a lot of the old stuff and can sing along (it's all through the commercials, after all,) but with these games, they wouldn't even give them a try, I don't think. My grandkids wouldn't.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread