Open Source Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

DummyDoc

Oct 11, 2017
With all of the regulations that seem to be hitting every state, has there been any thought to an open source device that could be used for different things and "may have" the ability to use some type of vaporizer? I think one could be on the way. I stumbled across this blog and I have to admit, it looks interesting. Has anyone else seen or heard of anything like this? The "Lone Wolf" Graphic Arts Technologist: OSM 1 becomes Open Source Power (OSP)

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
With all of the regulations that seem to be hitting every state, has there been any thought to an open source device that could be used for different things and "may have" the ability to use some type of vaporizer? I think one could be on the way. I stumbled across this blog and I have to admit, it looks interesting. Has anyone else seen or heard of anything like this? The "Lone Wolf" Graphic Arts Technologist: OSM 1 becomes Open Source Power (OSP)

Everyone who claims that they've discovered the next best thing to get around the Deeming Regulations all forget that one little catch all phrase that shoots the idea down before it gets off the ground.

Intended use.

Doesn't matter if it has other uses. If it can be used for vaping, it falls under the guise of the FDA.

DummyDoc

Oct 11, 2017
Everyone who claims that they've discovered the next best thing to get around the Deeming Regulations all forget that one little catch all phrase that shoots the idea down before it gets off the ground.

Intended use.

Doesn't matter if it has other uses. If it can be used for vaping, it falls under the guise of the FDA.

Very true, but keep in mind, this looks to be open source, i.e., the end user would purchase the parts that are commercially available from a few different electronics parts websites and could build this themselves. Since it appears to be programmable, it can be used for anything. Is this a "loophole"? I'm not sure, but it does look interesting.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Nope. Not a loophole. Again, that all encompassing phrase kicks in. And as it has a 510 connector, you're going to have a very hard time convincing anyone that it's intended for something completely different other than vaping. Especially as that blog is in the public and he's already stating he's using this thing for vaping.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I just couldn't figure out which "like" option would really fit, so will just go with.......

I can't disagree at all, but have to wonder just where that line can be drawn? Mods, tanks, coils, juice, nicotine, etc.... of course. Batteries, wire, cotton, flavoring, etc.....hardly. Can they even consider scales, syringes, beakers, bottles, etc......one would think impossible!

While it seems simple, cut and dried, exactly where will they draw (or try to) that line? I can only hope that the further the powers that be try to push it, more of "we the people" will recognize and reject an over-powering government.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I still don't see how the FDA can legally regulate mods and tanks. They do NOT contain, NOR are they made from any food, drug, or tobacco product. The same goes for pipes which they are also pushing these same regulations on despite them not being made with or containing any tobacco. We really need to push back on the hardware side of things.

I will say that if anything, mods being electronics, might be better handled by UL instead of the FDA.

• Agree
Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I still don't see how the FDA can legally regulate mods and tanks. They do NOT contain, NOR are they made from any food, drug, or tobacco product. The same goes for pipes which they are also pushing these same regulations on despite them not being made with or containing any tobacco. We really need to push back on the hardware side of things.

I will say that if anything, mods being electronics, might be better handled by UL instead of the FDA.

Seems that the FDA will be leaving the OTHER vaping industry alone (for now), they don't use tobacco, nicotine, nor tobacco products. But we have many technologies in common.

The enemy of my enemy IS my friend.
cheers
I

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I can't disagree at all, but have to wonder just where that line can be drawn? Mods, tanks, coils, juice, nicotine, etc.... of course. Batteries, wire, cotton, flavoring, etc.....hardly. Can they even consider scales, syringes, beakers, bottles, etc......one would think impossible!
    If it's sold in a vape shop, yes it is deemed a tobacco product, even screws and o-rings.

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    If it's sold in a vape shop, yes it is deemed a tobacco product, even screws and o-rings.
    Out of the entire deeming, the only "bright" spot might be this:
    nonicliq.JPG

So, imo, the EU/UK model, nic shots and 0 nic "doublers", are the future.

Cheers
    I

• Agree
    Reactions: puffon
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread