Status
Not open for further replies.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Its a shame that parents don't discipline their kids nowadays... I think that is part of the problem in society today as well. Kids can push their parents to the edge and get away with it because they know nothing will happen.

When I was growing up my mother would make us go out to the willow tree to get a branch off of it so she could tan the back end if we messed up... God forbid if you came back with one that was too small as she would give it to with that one and a bigger one she made you go back out there for!!

This was standard issue to a few principals in the schools around here where I grew up...and yes, they were used regularly!! Parents signed permission slips at the beginning of the year to give their consent. :shock:
17143a.jpg

I can remember when my 35yr old was about 3yrs old and we were out shopping in the mall and the one and only time in his life that he threw a fit because I told him he couldn't have something and he started screaming and crying, threw himself on the floor and was kicking everything around him, I proceeded to stand him up promptly and gave him a 3 or 4 swats across the back side and he stopped crying and started to act right. Then out of nowhere some lady comes up to me and tells me she ought to call the cops for beating my kid and I just looked at her and told her that if it were her kid I would've done the same, then she turned her nose up at me and scurried away in a huff... That was the last time my son "ever" made a scene like that in public ever again and if I had to I'd do the same thing today!!

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
I grew up with a paddle like that, except it had 26 holes in it and my name on one side, my sisters on the other. Mom used to call it the Hand of God. Once I put my hands over my .... to try to reason with her. No use, my knuckles got it then when I pulled them away, she hit her target. Bottom line, I never shoulda laughed when the wooden spoon broke on my .... cuz theres always something bigger.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
When I was a kid, the school principal's strap was widely feared and a real possibility for misbehaving. My grade 4 teacher also used a yard stick on your bottom for acting up. That was fine, I suppose, but it got a little freaky when she would tie you in your desk with her nylons for really being bad (my hand to god, this happened). She kept about a dozen pairs of them in her desk drawer in case there was a mob outbreak.

To this day, I'm a little conflicted about the things.

Oh, and yeah, any adult in the vicinity had carte blanche to brace any kid being a stinker.

olefolks

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Lewisville, TX, USA
When I was in grade school (Elementary now) teachers didn't have to have permission from the parents to inflict punishment when needed. My Dad told me and my teachers that if I got spanked at school that like spanking would occur when I got home.

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
I just think people should quit having kids. I'll never, ever have kids. Problem solved.
Easier said than done. I said that and I have a kid now. Wouldn't change it for the world, but unless you do something drastic, there's always a chance if your dancing the dance.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
True lol... True :eek:

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
I can remember when my 35yr old was about 3yrs old and we were out shopping in the mall and the one and only time in his life that he threw a fit because I told him he couldn't have something and he started screaming and crying, threw himself on the floor and was kicking everything around him, I proceeded to stand him up promptly and gave him a 3 or 4 swats across the back side and he stopped crying and started to act right. Then out of nowhere some lady comes up to me and tells me she ought to call the cops for beating my kid and I just looked at her and told her that if it were her kid I would've done the same, then she turned her nose up at me and scurried away in a huff... That was the last time my son "ever" made a scene like that in public ever again and if I had to I'd do the same thing today!!

I love the line from the first Iron Man movie.
They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I prefer the weapon you only need to fire once. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. Tony Stark

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Quoted post from anorher thread!!

Lots of new squonkers - a threat to Reo?

Wow, I'm new here, and I'm not afraid to admit that I have never heard of REO. (Other than the rock group lol) I squonk, and started about 6 months ago. I am on a fixed income and have to be very cautious with my spending. I would love to have a fully mechanical squonk mod with resin this or 3D that, but I can't afford it. Right now I have 1 squonker, the old Steam Crave. I got for $25. I am planning on getting the Pulse. I do have both the Pulse 22 and 24. Recently, I purchased the Recoil Rebel, and in squonk mode, this thing kicks the crap out of the Pulse attys. I plan on checking out REO and others discussed here to expand my Squonking world. Thank you for that.

Pm me your address....you're now the proud owner of a stab wood REO Woodville.

lyspaere

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2014
Wisconsin
Hiya, REOland. Good to see the "old" thread reopened! I come seeking advice. I'll be taking a little vacation to Hawaii this winter and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start feeling rushed.

I've been doing some research, and it seems like TSA & Co are alright w/ mods, batteries, & 100mL bottles of eliquid in carry-on.

My concern is thinking about what gear to actually bring along. My first instinct is to get one of the cheapo new squonk mods getting mass-produced nowadays, so I don't risk losing one of my treasured Grands. Then I think about how reliable those Grands are, and why I just stay with them.

I even briefly considered going back to one of my regulated/tank combos that've been sitting in storage boxes since I got my first Grand a couple years ago, but then remembered how much of a PITA they are comparatively. I found what works well for me, and have no desire to complicate this anymore. This isn't a hobby for me, it's harm reduction, and if it ain't broke...

Thoughts? Get a "disposable" squonk, or bring my lesser-favorite Grand? Both?

Thanks, and hope all are well!

Tapatalked from my Note8

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I grew up with a paddle like that, except it had 26 holes in it and my name on one side, my sisters on the other. Mom used to call it the Hand of God. Once I put my hands over my .... to try to reason with her. No use, my knuckles got it then when I pulled them away, she hit her target. Bottom line, I never shoulda laughed when the wooden spoon broke on my .... cuz theres always something bigger.
roflmao! I always told my son I was gonna give the "laying on of hands" a whole new meaning! Love the "hand of God" I had a wooden paddle, that had a kid thrown over an old barrel with sparks comin off his hiney that said.........to heck with psychology. I wouldn't hit hands, but if he put em back there, it was an extra whack for each time he did it. I got whacked with the belt. Didn't much matter if dad hit my ...., back or legs, and jup, better not put your hands back there. Like our hands were gonna protect us, but I spect we all tried it.

When I was a kid, the school principal's strap was widely feared and a real possibility for misbehaving. My grade 4 teacher also used a yard stick on your bottom for acting up. That was fine, I suppose, but it got a little freaky when she would tie you in your desk with her nylons for really being bad (my hand to god, this happened). She kept about a dozen pairs of them in her desk drawer in case there was a mob outbreak.

To this day, I'm a little conflicted about the things.

Oh, and yeah, any adult in the vicinity had carte blanche to brace any kid being a stinker.
ok, wow, the stockings are weird. But now i've got a whole slew of funny stocking phobia scenarios runnin through my mind :facepalm: Jup same here about any adult disciplining your kids if you weren't around. it was the same when my son was a kid for the most part. A neighbor kid was backtalkin her mom in my house. Mom was just standing there, letting her do it. Finally I couldn't take it. I got up in her face and told her she would NOT talk to her mama like that in MY house. Mama finally says.......yeah don't talk to me like that :facepalm:

Quoted post from anorher thread!!

Lots of new squonkers - a threat to Reo?

Wow, I'm new here, and I'm not afraid to admit that I have never heard of REO. (Other than the rock group lol) I squonk, and started about 6 months ago. I am on a fixed income and have to be very cautious with my spending. I would love to have a fully mechanical squonk mod with resin this or 3D that, but I can't afford it. Right now I have 1 squonker, the old Steam Crave. I got for $25. I am planning on getting the Pulse. I do have both the Pulse 22 and 24. Recently, I purchased the Recoil Rebel, and in squonk mode, this thing kicks the crap out of the Pulse attys. I plan on checking out REO and others discussed here to expand my Squonking world. Thank you for that.
awwwww that just gives me warm fuzzies!

Hiya, REOland. Good to see the "old" thread reopened! I come seeking advice. I'll be taking a little vacation to Hawaii this winter and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start feeling rushed.
first bit of advice..........take me with ya! :lol:

I would definitely take at least one Reo, but wouldn't hurt to have something ya don't mind losing if your gonna be doin parasailing or stuff like that.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY

I've been doing some research, and it seems like TSA & Co are alright w/ mods, batteries, & 100mL bottles of eliquid in carry-on.

My concern is thinking about what gear to actually bring along. My first instinct is to get one of the cheapo new squonk mods getting mass-produced nowadays, so I don't risk losing one of my treasured Grands. Then I think about how reliable those Grands are, and why I just stay with them.

I even briefly considered going back to one of my regulated/tank combos that've been sitting in storage boxes since I got my first Grand a couple years ago, but then remembered how much of a PITA they are comparatively. I found what works well for me, and have no desire to complicate this anymore. This isn't a hobby for me, it's harm reduction, and if it ain't broke...

Thoughts? Get a "disposable" squonk, or bring my lesser-favorite Grand? Both?

Thanks, and hope all are well!

Tapatalked from my Note8
I would just take a lesser favorite grand. Those cheapo squonks will leave you craving a grand

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
Tomorrow is the day! Sloth is headin west :w00t:
Woo woo!

Don't take too many pictures or my old lady will end up talking me into heading out also haha.

Safe journey!

(Be careful in Ohio... =P)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i notice the current French Prime Minister married his schoolteacher, so there must be some merit in all that carry on.
To avoid physical harm or pain it's important to always have a backup plan, so on the rare occasions i was sent to the headmaster's office, i made sure to always have some curio or another on me.
"Hello Trunker, who have you upset now, why are you here?" "Oh, i just thought i'd pop by to see if you know what this is? - it's a gramophone needle."
Cup of coffee and ten minutes of reminiscences about his old father and off we go.
"Hope you learned your lesson Trunker", "Quite".

Travelling on a plane: they are worried about batteries exploding and i believe (may be wrong) that they have to be in the cargo hold with checked luggage. In any event - i have always just disassembled the mod, so box - no battery - atty separate, batteries in a plastic carrier and bottles of e-liquid in with my shaving gear.
If you are rebellious and fancy a stealth vape then just be brazen about it and carry the whole thing on as it is. It's a medical device - stops other people from needing medical attention!

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread