Busted at Wal-Mart! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alanae

Mar 13, 2009
North Carolina
My husband has been walking around for weeks vaping his head off anywhere and everywhere. He has desperately wanted for someone to say something just to see what would happen. (I can't explain his need for confrontation but I chalk it up to a "guy thing") He's vaped in Wal-Mart, the grocery store, the tire shop, pharmacy, everywhere...and yet beyond a few odd looks no one has said anything to him. His disappointment was rising until two night ago at Wal-Mart.

He had been walking around vaping his head off as usual as he walked around the store. He had finally picked up what I had sent him out for and proceeded to the front of the store to check out. Once at the register and as he was paying for the item purchased - out of nowhere - BAM...it happened!

A Wal-Mart employee came out of nowhere and shouted at him, "I see you smoking!" At this he laughed, looked at his 401, and replied, "No, I am not smoking." The employee, being very sure of herself, continues on her rant telling him how she saw smoke coming out of his mouth and she knows he is smoking in the store. At this, he takes e-cig in hand, takes a huge drag, blows out puffs of "vapor" and states, "No love what you see is steam coming from my mouth and not smoke." Then he takes the e-cig and pretends to put it out on the back of his hand explaining how it's not a lit cigarette. At this the employee walks away still mumbling to herself and probably desperately trying to figure out what just happened. lol

All the commotion obviously gets the attention of other Wal-Mart shoppers and sparks a conversation about what it is he has in his hand. He explains to the others in line about his new found toy with a huge smile plastered on his face. The other patrons find the e-cig amazing stating over and over how cool it is and inquiring on where to purchase one for themselves. At which point he casually leaves the store, still vaping, and heads for home.

Just thought I'd share what I felt to be a funny story of a man on a mission. Trying desperately to see what will happen when using an e-cig in public in non-smoking areas. He is usually one to hate confrontation but it seems the e-cig has brought out another side of him that I didn't know existed lol

Vapor Pete

The Vapor Pope
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
Rochester, NY
Nice... someone walking around to intentionally get a reaction from anti-smoking people. Way to get the public on our side! Your husband wont be vaping anywhere when we get banned from using them.
For now, maybe your husband can get a job with SmokingEveryWhere, they sell their product in shopping malls, make all sorts of outragous claims, vape right there in the mall and tout the "get around smoking bans" claims.... they are single handedly bringing us down. And always looking for new salesmen with the same attitude.
My best,
-VP

Kendra

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nashville
Nice... someone walking around to intentionally get a reaction from anti-smoking people. Way to get the public on our side! Your husband wont be vaping anywhere when we get banned from using them.
For now, maybe your husband can get a job with SmokingEveryWhere, they sell their product in shopping malls, make all sorts of outragous claims, vape right there in the mall and tout the "get around smoking bans" claims.... they are single handedly bringing us down. And always looking for new salesmen with the same attitude.
My best,
-VP
Gee. . . a bit sour?

Alanae, I think that's funny. I would agree with Pete if your husband was rude, but he obviously wasn't rude at all. He seemed pleasant and I don't doubt he would have stopped vaping in the store if he was told to. Pushing back can be done pleasantly or the way Pete just did it! :)

Vapor Pete

The Vapor Pope
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
Rochester, NY
Gee. . . a bit sour?

Alanae, I think that's funny. I would agree with Pete if your husband was rude, but he obviously wasn't rude at all. He seemed pleasant and I don't doubt he would have stopped vaping in the store if he was told to. Pushing back can be done pleasantly or the way Pete just did it! :)

ohhhh Kendra..lol:p!
A bit sour? Well, a bit yes I suppose. I just think its doing no one any good to walk around looking for reactions to vaping. What if someone had gotten abusive with her husband, now you've got a scene in Wal-Mart. And what would have made the news that night? "Guy with electronic cigarette starts altercation in Walmart...news at 11!" To me its just BAD PR. He would have done better to talk to the smokers outside in their smoking area about PV's. But he's intentionally looking for "something to happen, or someone to say something". Good things do not come out of that kind of behavior. Love ya though!:D
My best,
-VP

CssReb

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
USA, NYC

Kendra

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nashville
ohhhh Kendra..lol:p!
Good things do not come out of that kind of behavior. Love ya though!:D
My best,
-VP
:):)
I've been too much of a complete wuss to vape publicly. We were out the other night and I SO wanted to vape. I just didn't have the nerve. I wasn't concerned about the employees, just all the other customers. So, I admire those who are trying to do this publicly but still politely. The only time I've done it publicly is if I'm SHOWING someone the e-cig in a public place. Then, maybe we'll do a hit or two, but I put it away before being confronted by someone else.

Love ya, too, Pete!

Vapor Pete

The Vapor Pope
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
Rochester, NY
:):)
I've been too much of a complete wuss to vape publicly. We were out the other night and I SO wanted to vape. I just didn't have the nerve. I wasn't concerned about the employees, just all the other customers. So, I admire those who are trying to do this publicly but still politely. The only time I've done it publicly is if I'm SHOWING someone the e-cig in a public place. Then, maybe we'll do a hit or two, but I put it away before being confronted by someone else.

Love ya, too, Pete!

Man, I wish I knew how quote only certain parts in my replies (hint hint... need the how to on that). Dont be a wuss Kendra, just be respectfull. Showing someone, and then putting it away (your... ahemm! ..e-cig!:shock:) is fine, Im just against going around looking for trouble. I am kinda of the mindset that the only way to vape publicly and remain polite, is to vape outside where other nicotine related activities are permitted.
My best,
-VP

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I can't make up my mind how I feel about that kind of thing.....it is probably not a good idea to wind the anti-smokers up but at the same time vaping is 'not' smoking..it is 'not' illegal..it isn't doing something 'wrong' ........the fact is why the hell shouldn't anyone be able to vape whenever and wherever they want?

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
I'm afraid I agree with the 'don't look for confrontation' argument.

I would never have smoked in a supermarket, so I wouldn't vape in one. If we go into a pub / bar, we first show it to the management and ask them if they've got any objection / policy on it. A few have said 'go ahead' (in which case we have) a few more have said 'don't know much about them, but they seem to be OK' (in which case we have carried on discretely and offered to send them more information) and in one case, we were told 'no' (so we didn't).

Just to mention that the one that said they had a no e-cigs policy was a pub that we know pretty well. The reason that the landlord has made the policy is because of a jerk a few weeks ago who started vaping without mentioning it to the management and when pulled up about it, he got arsey and said that he was legally allowed to use it. Management did not know anything about the device and, due to this idiot, got arsey back and made the policy on the spot because he didn't want the hassle. I would also add that this particular pub has robably done more than any other pub I know of to make his establishment as 'smoker-friendly' as possible since the smoking ban was implemented.

When the landlord found out that my other half and I are using these things, we had quite a lengthy conversation about them and he asked us if we could send him some info so that he could check them out for himself since he would love to be able to reverse his own policy decision.

I just think it is always better to ask before vaping anywhere, since so many people do not know what these things are, and, even with a blue LED, people just see 'smoke' and therefore (not unreasonably) assume you are smoking.

Bellinghamster

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Bellingham, WA USA
...and when pulled up about it, he got arsey and said that he was legally allowed to use it...

That's the problem. Don't be a jerk. The owner has rights too!

I take the position that I'm not hurting anyone, so I don't feel guilty using it where I please. Does that mean I use it Wal-Mart? No. At the bank counter? No. At the gas station? NO NO NO!

Vaping should not have to be a 24x7 activity. I'm not at the above locations so long that I can't make it back outside or to my car before getting another fix. Pubs are another matter. If I'm going to spend a few hours there, you bet I vape there. I never ask anymore, I'm just prepared to explain if there are questions. Acting like it's something you need to warn the owner about makes them wonder how safe/legal it really is IMO. Acting like it's perfectly natural seems to get me much farther.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I've used mine in resturants and a pub and discretely in Wal-Mart and Walgreens. In the resturant and pub, I first showed it to either the manager or server and explained that it was a personal vaporizer like a vaporizer used in child's room who has a cold. That it emits only water vapor and has flavoring and nicotine if you choose to have nicotine in it. I further explain that there is no smoke, no tobacco, no burning of anything and that there is nothing harmful emited from it. I will unscrew it, also. The reactions I have gotten have all been positive. In Walgreens I showed the pharmicist and they were very interested in it. I do not use it in check out lines.

I also made up business card "like" little hand outs that has the forum address, electronic cigarette magazine address and the addresses of 4 reliable suppliers because I get so many people who want to know more either for themselves or for friends/loved ones.

I do not think we should hide our vaping but instead be good "shepards" of personal vaporizers and use them in a responsible and respectful manner. If we only vape with smokers then we are perpetrating the perception that vaping is exactly the same as smoking and SHOULD be banned everywhere.

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
I have vaped in the grocery store (I can remember when you could smoke in the grocery), but I do try to be fairly discrete. I dont "hide", per say, but I usually only do it in the aisle when nobody else is, or if they are, when theyre not looking directly at me. I dont do it in the checkout line.

I vaped at the bank inside the grocery store, but the assistant manager of that branch of the bank knows what ecigs are. And, there werent other customers around at the time.

I have yet to vape inside a walmart, but I rarely go there and even if I were to, I'd avoid doing it in the checkout lane simply because I wouldnt want the confrontation.

And, I'll say this (and the same thing I told the bank assistant manager) - being able to vape inside the grocery store was nice because it was the first time since they started prohibiting smoking in the store that i've been able to be relaxed while shopping, which made for a very pleasant experience for me as a customer.

All that being said, I do agree that we need to try to avoid confrontational situations but also that we shouldnt be hiding in the alley

Last edited:

Vapor Pete

The Vapor Pope
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
Rochester, NY
I've used mine in resturants and a pub and discretely in Wal-Mart and Walgreens. In the resturant and pub, I first showed it to either the manager or server and explained that it was a personal vaporizer like a vaporizer used in child's room who has a cold. That it emits only water vapor and has flavoring and nicotine if you choose to have nicotine in it. I further explain that there is no smoke, no tobacco, no burning of anything and that there is nothing harmful emited from it. I will unscrew it, also. The reactions I have gotten have all been positive. In Walgreens I showed the pharmicist and they were very interested in it. I do not use it in check out lines.

I also made up business card "like" little hand outs that has the forum address, electronic cigarette magazine address and the addresses of 4 reliable suppliers because I get so many people who want to know more either for themselves or for friends/loved ones.

I do not think we should hide our vaping but instead be good "shepards" of personal vaporizers and use them in a responsible and respectful manner. If we only vape with smokers then we are perpetrating the perception that vaping is exactly the same as smoking and SHOULD be banned everywhere.

Those activities, or rather, the way you went about them, are far superior to "Vaping your head off, waiting for someone to say something." I dont think you were quoting me, but I for one am not saying we should only vape with smokers. I am saying, we should NOT vape where smokers cant smoke. I use the analogy, would you drink a non-alcoholic beer in an area that does not allow drinking (like some concerts) and say, "well why cant I? It isnt alcohol!?" (Dont get technical with me on that analogy, ya'll know what I mean!) Why stir the pot. It looks like we are smoking. Getting into "pissing matches" with the anti's is NOT the way to get the public on our side.
My best,
-VP

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
The thing is though, if you run into a pissing match with an anti, it's how you handle it. I like to say I QUIT smoking for such and such a days isn't that awesome!!! Then I say this is just a vaporizer thing that has helped me and gives me the hand to mouth, but I'm so glad I quit smoking! You turn it into a positive with them.

harmony gardens

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Personally, I'm just going to try to be as cool as I can about it. I'm still a newbie, but I am so convinced that vaping is a better way to go, that I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

All of us are tired of being treated as second class citizens. I'm hoping when the dust settles on all this, that we are going to find eCigs to be the perfect compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread