DIY nicotine candy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I guess we all know that nicotine lollipops were banned by the U.S. FDA before many were sold. The idea was to tuck a sucker into the mouth, much like a snus pouch, and let the nicotine in the candy absorb through the mouth. A no-no, the FDA said.

So I made my own.

Jason brought this up again the other day and I was intrigued. I went to Michael's, a hobby/craft shop, and bought a "hard candy" tin. These are WHITE plastic, BTW, not clear (I made a purchasing mistake first). The white ones can take microwave heat.

I postulated that I could melt down existing hard candy, then add drops of 24mg e-liquid, and create a slow-dissolving piece of candy. My favorite candy is Coffee Nips, so I pulled out that box. But, I thought, might I be able to do the same with cough drops? I pulled out some Luden Honey-Licorice cough drops.

Into a depression on the white tray went a single Nips. Into another hole went two cough drops. Following some online instructions, I set the microwave power to "defrost" and turned it on, watching the tray closely. The material melted slowly at first, then began bubbling. I took out the tray, dropped 4 drops of nicotine solution (=6.6mg strength per piece) into each and stirred it in with a toothpick before continuing the big meltdown.

Afterwards, the tray goes into the refrigerator for a bit, to let everything harden back up.

Then I tried the Nips. Yummy, but I hadn't stirred the nicotine liquid enough and got a blast of taste like when e-smoking liquid backs up into the mouth. Then it passed. The Nips tasted much as it always does.

The cough drop was even better. I had distributed the nicotine better and never tasted it. Just licorice and menthol. I can see sucking on one of these while e-smoking -- to soothe the throat.

The nick hit was too strong, however, I'll back off a bit. My snus range from 3mg to 11mg, but they take much longer to extract the nicotine. I think the Nips lasted 5 minutes, maybe. That's half the time of a cigarette break -- and four times the nicotine of a regular cigarette in that length of time.

Three drops will do fine.

Next I'm going to try some "healthy" hard candies, with vitamins and stuff. But I can see nicotine-laced Nips joining my regular routine. (Also gotta try making hard candy from scratch, using home cooked tobacco juice instead of water. I'll need LOTS of sorbitol for this one!)

Last edited:

jasondavis48108

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2008
Ann Arbor Michigan
quite glad to hear the experiment was a success. Never thought of melting down existing are handy, quite clever indeed TB:) I have my wife looking for a coffee nip type recipe for hard candy. I'll post if I find anything. BTW I think their is something different about the nicotine in the liquid, I put just 10 drops in a can of cherry smokey mountain, whih should have given me a mere 1mg of nic per pinch, and wow, it kind of packed a punch. Maybe the nic in the liquid is somehow mde to absorb faster, I really don't know, but I do know we have to be very careful when experimenting with this stuff. I can imagine that it wouldn't be too difficult for one of us to end up in he hospital.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
You're right about being careful. My calculation of strength, based on snus, was not accurate. The candy packed a kick that had me almost falling out of my chair in front of the computer. As mentioned, I'll back off to 3 drops per candy piece. May have to go to 2.

But the shocker for me was the cough drop combo. Man, it worked! A nicotine-laced cough drop? Far out. That could get me through seasonal colds when coughing makes any lung inhalation problematic.

Gonna try some Vitamin C candies before long. And I might be adding vitamin oils to the candy. For instance, I have Vitamin E oil. Its strength is known (on a per drop basis). I could create a candy with the Daily Recommended Allowance -- plus a nic kick!

Let the FDA swoop down on me ...

Now, I need lots of maximum-strength E-Liquid.

jasondavis48108

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2008
Ann Arbor Michigan
I like it. nic laced multi-vitamin candies! who said nursing an addiction couldn't be good for you. I know my oral hygene has gotten far better since picking up snus. I bought a ultrasonic toothbrush and a water pic, my teeth are cleeeeaaan! I could never remember to take my vitamins, but if they were laced with nic then I couldn't forget! Graet idea.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Now you'll see why I began with melting hard candy. But I'm eager to try home-cooked tobacco juice instead of plain water, plus add a lot of sorbitol to kill any bitter taste from the tobacco.

TROPICAL BOB'S NIC NIPS

INGREDIENTS

• 3 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon flavored extract (Kahlua in my case)
DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium saucepan, stir together the white sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil. Without stirring, heat to 300 to 310 degrees F, or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms hard, brittle threads.
  2. Remove from heat and stir in flavored extract.
  3. Pour into hard candy molds.
  4. Add 3 drops 24mg E-Liquid to each candy piece and stir in with a toothpick.

Reactions: omg bbq

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
what next? Nicotine Suppositories?
Hope not. But there is already caffeine soap on the market. You shower with it in the morning and it is absorbed through your skin, giving you that caffeine lift!

So maybe nicotine soap? Easy to make. Trouble is, anyone showering with it would probably attract flies all day. Unless... you know, I've got some strong oil-based fragrances left over from a project last year. With enough fragrance ...:thumbs:

Nah, can't risk contact dermatitis.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Martha Stewart's E-Kitchen had some colossal failures yesterday and today.

The first one involved an attempt to add liquid vitamins, specifically a B-complex liquid designed for sublingual ingestion. It's red, tastes pretty good, and 6 drops is all that is needed. So I plopped six drops into my partially-melted Nips candy and started the microwave a second time.

Wow. It looked like I'd plopped an Alka-Seltzer into a glass of water. The stuff started bubbling up red goo, which spread over the candy tin. I pulled it out of the microwave quickly. The red was still liquid and never hardened. Yuck.

Next came an attempt to do several Nips at the same time. For whatever reason, two interior candies melted far faster than two on the outside of the tin. They started burning and smoking, in fact. I plopped in the E-Liquid drops, which simply pooled atop the candies. Ugh. Failure. The house reeks of burned candy!

When I have the house all to myself for a looong period, I'll try the full recipe to make candy from scratch. I expect a neighbor will call the fire department, so I'll keep the windows closed.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
So far, a recent video would show a man waving smoke out his microwave oven with one hand while the other holds a smoldering plastic tray of hot candies. In the background, the family dog disappears around the corner.

I just tried one of the "good" candies from the newest batch, and the e-liquid had not melted into it, which meant I got a mouthful of raw e-liquid. We all know what that tastes like.

Unbowed and undeterred, I shall continue, fire extinguisher nearby.

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
Bob, by all means feel free to make your lozenges yourself now that you have this smoking liquid available. But please don't make these using your own tobacco juice. I made some just out of curiosity in order to see what they tasted like, and ONLY after I chickened out about using the pure nicotine I'd extracted. Treat tobacco juice like chewing tobacco and don't swallow much cuz of the stomach upset and ulcers and whatnot. Again, the dissolvables were specifically developed by Brown and Williamson using snuff derived from a specially engineered breed of tobacco low in nitrosamines which makes it acceptable to swallow.

combovan

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
florida USA
what next? Nicotine Suppositories? Eeeek! :b Good idea on the candy though- will have to try them :)

im not sure where but i remember seeing on another thread that there are actually nicotine suppostories (sp) floating around somewhere on the internet .... kinda funny but they are surely true and available .... and the fda wants to crack down on ecigs go figure
combovan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread