510 usage and maintenance instructions from Joye Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

testerjtester

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Seattle, WA
These instructions come directly from Shenzhen Joye Technology, so I feel pretty good about following these techniques to clean and otherwise maintain my 510, as opposed to some of the others I've seen around the forums. I understand that everyone has their time-tested methods to clean their atomizers, but until I'm more familiar with the device, I figure you can't beat tips that come directly from the manufacturer...

I got them from a supplier (The Widow) in response to some questions, and thought they would probably be of general interest here... so, enjoy!

[FONT="]How do you smoke the Electronic cigarette?[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=black][FONT="][/FONT]
[FONT="]E-smoking is different from normal smoking. E-smoking is a matter of inhaling rather then smoking. When you inhale, you should consider the following:[/FONT][/COLOR][B][COLOR=black][FONT="][/FONT][/B]
[FONT="]Do not inhale continuously or for a long period. Do not pull too heavy or too fast or too many times in a short period of time. This will have a negative effect on the cigarette function[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT="]Always pull slowly (3 to 5 times pulling) and let the atomizer rest in between for at least 3 minutes. Over consuming your E-cigarette will lead to malfunctions. I f you whish to inhale more or more frequently it is advised to use 2 sets of E-cigarettes at the alternatively.[/FONT]

[FONT="]Do not use liquids or cartridges other than those delivered with your e-cigarette. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=black][FONT="] [/FONT]
[/B]
[FONT="]Maintenance[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=black][FONT="]1. Clean the battery and atomizer by using purified alcohol to clean the contact points of the battery and atomizer with a clean paper tissue. By doing this regularly, your cigarette will perform better.[/FONT]

[FONT="]2. Clean the inside of the atomizer with a paper tissue, to absorb remaining liquid.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT="] [/FONT]

[FONT="]3. If you fell your cigarette does not produce enough smoke or the pulling becomes heavy, it is time to clean. Blow through the atomizer side, on the other side you will see liquid coming out. After this operation, clean everything and dry it with a paper tissue. Your cigarette should be working better now. If the cigarette does not perform better, go to point 4.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="]4. Take the inside of an old cartridge and pull it out of the mouthpiece. Rinse it with water and press it dry. Put it back in the cleaned mouthpiece. Pour 2 drops of hot water on the cartridge. Smoke without inhaling for a few minutes and check the cartridges. If the cartridge is brown, take it out and repeat the procedure until clean. Then put in a new cartridge and new battery. Your cigarette should be ok now. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="]5. [U]Self resetting[/U]: If you have the impression your cigarette does not develop enough smoke or the pulling is heavy you can try this: put he battery side in your mouth and blow on it. There are 2 little holes next to the LED light. Now your atomizer heats up and burns the rest liquid on the atomizer. Do not exceed 12 seconds of blowing or your atomizer will burn dead. After this operation your cigarette will function normal again. You will need to replace the battery and charge the one you just used. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=black][FONT="]Grand cleaning operation[/FONT]

[FONT="]Sometimes you might think your atomizer is dead, because smoke reduces significantly. In this case you can do the following: [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]-[FONT="] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT="]Take out the cartridge and mouthpiece and battery.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]-[FONT="] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT="]Clean contact points of battery and atomizer with purified alcohol.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]-[FONT="] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT="]Take the atomizer with the big opening up and pour purified alcohol inside. Shake the atomizer for at least 2 minutes, drain the alcohol through the small hole at the other side and repeat this at least 3 times[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]-[FONT="] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT="]Rinse the atomizer with hot water and let it dry for 16 hours standing up.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]-[FONT="] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT="]After 16 hours, if your atomizer is dry, you can put in a new cartridge and new battery. Your cigarette will work normal again.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]

testerjtester

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Seattle, WA
Thought I'd note that I've gone through atomizer cleaning steps 3 and 4, and it resuscitated one of mine quite nicely - must have had some liquid leave some gunk in there, because it was clogging it up and overlaying the flavor of the others.

I don't think I've ever come across the notion of essentially vaping hot water, but I could literally feel the gunk coming out and the vaping get easier over the first 4-5 drags... seems like the principle could work well with other models too*.

* Not that I'm necessarily recommending it, mind you... ;)

Tim

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to add, after vaping the water it says to put a new cartridge and battery on right away, but I did that and there was still some water left in the atomizer. So I think it might make sense to add a step to blow out the atomizer afterwards and maybe let it air dry for a while before using it again, then drip a drop or two of liquid to re-prime the atomizer.

Last edited:

rsngfrce

ECF Veteran
I just removed the filling from a cart for the first time to clean it, and I had a difficult time getting it back in the cart... it's much simpler with the little puff ball filling in my M401. The 501 filling seemed to expand and I tried to roll it back up and felt like I had to jam it to get it back into the cart. Does anyone have any tips on the best way to do this?

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA
I just removed the filling from a cart for the first time to clean it, and I had a difficult time getting it back in the cart... it's much simpler with the little puff ball filling in my M401. The 501 filling seemed to expand and I tried to roll it back up and felt like I had to jam it to get it back into the cart. Does anyone have any tips on the best way to do this?

I've not tried this so take it for what it's worth, but how about rolling it up in a bit of paper, putting the tube thus formed into the cart and then pushing the filler down?

MrKrinkle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I just use a paperclip to feed the polyfill back into the cart havnt had a problem at all and in most cases I find that by adding about 15 drops to the cart before I put the fill back in I get a much longer cart life and even then I am able to add 2-3 drops to top it off I run the manual batteries no fear of damaging the batteries as they are sealed so I add 2-3 drops to the atomizer and bam monster vape carts last long time and vape life is goooooooooooood!!!

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Anyone know what type of "purified alcohol" is being referrenced in the "grand cleaning" section? Isopropyl?

I just cleaned 2 of my 501 attys w/ Iso. Let em' soak for 'bout an hour in the Iso, rinsed w/ hot tap water. 5 min low temp boil an dry over-night.

Both survived and vaping well.

EDIT: That would be 510 attys, Thank you rsngfrce!!

Last edited:

denec

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2009
NYC
Always pull slowly (3 to 5 times pulling) and let the atomizer rest in between for at least 3 minutes. Over consuming your E-cigarette will lead to malfunctions. I f you whish to inhale more or more frequently it is advised to use 2 sets of E-cigarettes at the alternatively.
Do not use liquids or cartridges other than those delivered with your e-cigarette.

Do you really wait 3 minutes before each pull? I have not been waiting that long..

i usually wait about 15 seconds or so waiting about 3 minutes is an eternity

testerjtester

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Seattle, WA
Do you really wait 3 minutes before each pull? I have not been waiting that long..

That seemed to me like the official manufacturer line that no one ever follows in the real world... kind of like a car maker telling me to change the oil every 3000 miles. I'm sure it extends the life of the product, but it's not going to explode in a ball of flame if you wait until 3001. :)

But I do take the advice about swapping out with another for extended sessions, since I have enough parts, I usually have 2 complete 510s on me, and switch from one to another as they get a little warm.

RsL

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Minneapolis

From my experience, no, this is not necessary at all. If however, you feel a lot of heat let it sit for a minute or so. But 3 minutes before each pull is crazy talk...

denec

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2009
NYC
Yeah that makes sense!

I wait until the atomizer does not feel hot and then pull again usually about 20 seconds before each pull

One more question..I keep reading about using the method of dripping..which is one of the big plus of the 510 because we do not have to worry about burning out the battery, but the part i do not understand is after you put the 1-2 drops on the atomizer is do we just replace the cartridge on top of it with the filling in it? and then pull?

i looked all over the forums and only thing i can find is people say to put the original cap on, i have no idea what that means?

If we do not put back the cartridge in how else do we pull?

so the cartridge has to be empty before we can drip right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread