Ask the OLDIES!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great! I have a question about switching over from analogs. I was smoking a pack a day and still sneak in 3-5 analogs a day (though I've only been vaping for about 3 weeks). I feel like I have to constantly vape to keep from switching to an analog. For instance if I have to do something where I can't vape for a few hours I'm too impatient to wait for the slow vape of nicotine to kick in, I give in to an analog for the quick relief. What was your process like?

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
What strength are you using? When I first started I had to up my nicotine level in order to put the cigarettes down entirely. Also you may be experiencing withdrawal symptoms from other substances present in cigarettes. I had mild withdrawal for the first couple of weeks. Some folks supplement their vaping with snus or dissolvable tobacco products to get them over the hump.

Mactrick

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
Ventura, CA
I experienced a similar situation when I first started to vape. Here's a few things that helped me --

1. The first few weeks of vaping I was still smoking 1/4 pack a day. I bumped my next V4L order to 36mg (I think I started at 11 or 18mg). I would vape at 36mg until I started to get a little headache, which stopped the analog cravings for me. I've since stepped back down to 24mg and now 18mg.

2. Psychologically I never quit, I just replace smoking analogs with vaping. I still have an analog now and then... maybe 2 or 3 per month just to prove the point.

3. I'm never in a situation where I can't vape for a few hours. Learn to "Stealth vape". :D Mornings may be the hardest, but after a while you'll loose the really intense cravings for an analog.

4. When you're trying to kill a craving do it with a flavor that has high TH. 18mg (or higher) Cinnamon Roll in the morning is nothing short of awesome.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

MsOceanCity

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
New Jersey
To control cravings, I find it imperitive to have a "go-to vape"....this is a flavor you absolutely love and can pick up anytime. Also, it should have a high nic content...preferrably 24 or 36mg. Vape as much as you need to to quell the craving. When I do this, my body has no more desire for an analog because I have gotten enough nicotine to fully satisfy. Hope this helps:)

I'm using 36 mg and hope to move down after I get completely converted to vaping. I believe I am one of those people who is HIGHLY addicted to nicotine, I tried every stop smoking aid known to man and wanted to smoke on top of them. I have business meetings where it would be unprofessional for me to vape and cause a distraction. I think it's just gonna take some patience at first to get use to the slower effect of a vape to kick in, but I think I'll get there.

Mac -- I'll def try the cinnamon roll! Even though I wasn't a menthol analog smoker, I'm also finding that mint flavors and WOW peppermint are better for me when I'm dying for nicotine because the mint feels stronger (even if its not).

Question: where do you get stealth liquids that work with V4L?

To control cravings, I find it imperitive to have a "go-to vape"....this is a flavor you absolutely love and can pick up anytime. Also, it should have a high nic content...preferrably 24 or 36mg. Vape as much as you need to to quell the craving. When I do this, my body has no more desire for an analog because I have gotten enough nicotine to fully satisfy. Hope this helps:)

Great advice! I'm so glad that worked for you. I was wondering the same thing so I ordered juice in my favorite analog fighting flavors (36 mg Parliament Menthol and WOW Peppermint). I'll keep many on stand by. When I'm relaxing after dinner I switch to 24 mg fun flavors (like Pear or Wow Vanilla).

CatMommy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
For instance if I have to do something where I can't vape for a few hours I'm too impatient to wait for the slow vape of nicotine to kick in, I give in to an analog for the quick relief.

I agree with what's already been said...Get yourself some 36mg in a strong (maybe a tobacco or coffee) flavor for this situation. I work in a hospital, so I know there are times when it's impossible to chain vape (which is what many of us do at the beginning when switching over). Instead of smoking the analog, vape the strong-flavored 36mg. This is what worked for me.

ChrisKY

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2010
This may or may not help, but since I just finally stopped analogs completely this week, it is very fresh to me.

1) Mornings really sucked... no matter how much I vaped, I still wanted a analog. I stepped up to 36mg on the bedside table and as soon as the alarm went off, I started hitting it while I made coffee. By the time I had a cup in had it was better - still tough, but it really helped.

2) Stop buying them - I just refused to buy another pack and put lighters and ashtrays away. This is probably just a mental thing but it did make a difference for me.

3) This forum... When I felt the urge I came here and read post or made a new post. It made me feel better about my switching to vaping over analogs and gave me that little mental boost I needed to get through it. I would also browse e juice flavors and just get my mind off it.

I have only been completely off the analogs for going on 5 days now, but I lite one of my brothers last night while visiting my parents for my dad's birthday, took one drag and about gagged. Tasted like garbage and this morning, the craving was just for nic, not smoke.

Like I said, I am new and not an expert, but this has really been a big moment for me and I owe it all the V4L and the fine folks here on the forum. With out them I would never had made it this far.

MsOceanCity

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
New Jersey
Great advice! I'm so glad that worked for you. I was wondering the same thing so I ordered juice in my favorite analog fighting flavors (36 mg Parliament Menthol and WOW Peppermint). I'll keep many on stand by. When I'm relaxing after dinner I switch to 24 mg fun flavors (like Pear or Wow Vanilla).

Filling blank cartos with Wow Peppermint juice works the best for me:)

RNPic

ECF Veteran
For us (my husband and I), it has different for both of us. I never had a problem quitting "cold turkey" in the past, but then again, I didn't smoke very much in the first place. The only reason I would start smoking again was because my husband, mother, brother, and best friend all smoked. It's really hard to do all by yourself and stick with it. Other problem was because of drinking. If we would go out to the bar or a party or to Races, I would start again if I had a little to drink. Once we found out about vaping from a friend, we decided to try it. As soon as we received our first kits, we stopped buying analogs. I had no problem with it and started at and am still vaping 11 mg, sometimes 8 mg. My husband had smoked more than I did, so he started at 24 mg and is now down to 18 mg. We just stopped buying analogs all together right from the start. We tried a ton of different flavors and found which ones we really liked and now buy the juice's of our favorites. He, of course, goes through way more carts than I do, but at least it's not analogs. My mother and best friend still smoke, but they smell so bad after having a cigarette that it is a complete turn off and we don't even want one after smelling them!! I believe a lot of it has to do with the mind and forcing yourself to not buy analogs when you go to the gas station!!

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
I can't speak to the other colors, but I have the Chrome and it definitely shows fingerprints. I didn't know at the time you could ask for a certain color tip, so I ended up with a bright green one. UGH! Doesn't matter to me too much as it's on an XL which I only use at home. But if you have a certain color light you want at the end, be sure to ask for it in the comments box.

PS. Yes, Chrome is the super shinny one.

Last edited:

Mactrick

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2010
Ventura, CA
Question: where do you get stealth liquids that work with V4L?

It's less about vapor production as it is about how to vape. A couple of examples:

1. Movie Theaters, nighttime in an airplane, and other dimly lit places are easy to stealth-vape. Simply exhale down toward your lap and the folks around you won't notice the clouds of vapor.

2. If I'm stealth-vaping in a well lit area, I'll hold the battery so that the LED is covered in my hand. I won't drag as deeply, and then hold the vapor in a little longer. This reduces the amount on exhale.

I don't stealth vape in the office. I simply informed those that are around me what it is, and how it works. The vapor dissipates quickly (as I'm sure you've discovered) so any evidence of vaping goes away quickly.

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
The longer you hold it in,the less vapor shows on exhale.

Really Keyz? I only thought that worked with other combustibles I used to "stealth vape" long long ago :laugh:

In all seriousness, I stealth vape a lot - I don't like gawkers or playing a million questions with curious people. Also have had very good luck in theaters, stadiums, auditoriums etc with the older (now called premium) juices. WOW juices or those with higher VG content usually make larger clouds which is why I generally avoid them.

As Mactrick has said, cover the led with your pinky or palm to avoid attraction, or even color the ashcap black with a thick sharpie. You can also use black electrical tape in a pinch, or pop off the ashcap and remove the led entirely on a "dedicated stealth battery".

Another thing you can do is get higher concentration, 24mg or 36mg juice, and take smaller hits to get the necessary nicotine - can always go back down lower to make big smokey clouds when you aren't in stealth mode.

One last tip when using manuals; let off the button sooner on your hit to clear the vapor remaining in the cart, this obviously cuts down on the exhale cloud too. In a nutshell, take smaller slower hits, which you can hold in longer as Keyz has said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread