Vaping...More harm then good? For me yes...Im done!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laguna6866

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Central New York
I have been vaping for about a year now. I will forever be greatfull to ecigs for i have been analog free for 8 months because of using them. But, that was then, this is now-

Through my journey of ecigs, i have tried just about every single mod, juice, mg, and combination of juice mixes available. My high hopes of the ecig being my savior from analogs, i guess you can say kind of blinded me from what was actually going on.

In the last year, i have gone through FOUR inhalers, due to not being able to breath properly. I have never in my life needed one of those things until vaping. I am 37 years old! I was a 21 year, pack a day smoker. Looking back in hindsight, i felt much better when i was smoking analogs... let me explain:

Aside from the not being able to breath properly, i have experienced terrible muscle cramping, pain in my lower kidney area, as well as periodic hot flashes where my face feels like it is on fire! No, i havent gone to the doctor yet for the above. Now that i am done with vaping, im pretty sure these symptoms will subside. If not, i will definitely get checked out. Not to mention the added anxiety (mild panic attacks) vaping has brought me.

This post in in NO WAY intended to discourage anybody from achieving the ultimate goal of quitting analogs. I was able to using an ecig, and you can too. I just feel i paid a "price" for using the ecig to quit. I wish all trying to quit analogs the best of luck! And my hats off to those who havent experienced any problems using ecigs-

Today my "new" journey begins...staying off analogs, and ecigs...wish me luck!!!!!!:?:

Last edited:
Reactions: plittle1203

The Yeti

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2009
Black Hills, SD
Good luck!

BUT - if you never got ANY of those symptoms checked out by a doctor (kinda stoopid, dontcha think?) you simply can not blame vaping for it! Plus, you don't even know yet if these symptoms are subsiding since you've stopped vaping....geez.

I've been vaping for almost a year now, and have had none of those symptoms. The only symptom I had was feeling a bit dehydrated at first before I knew what was causing it (PG), I have since raised my daily intake of water and feel fine.

iggyLover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2009
San Diego
Laguna, I'm sorry you are having these problems, but please consider this:
I quit smoking with snus March 09.
I felt pain, hot flashes, face on fire, anxiety, MAJOR PANIC ATTACKS and such while using Swedish snus and I was NOT vaping
I smoked for THIRTY YEARS!
I don't blame snus for my problems, I blame myself for smoking all those years.
This year is your bodys time to heal itself and that takes some time. I would guess a good 5yrs to heal at least!
Good luck to you!

angry-amy

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2010
miami
i am not saying that these problems are not being caused by the vaping because my jury is still out, however... i should think that i would take myself to a doctor if i had those problems. they sound fairly serious and posting to the net before going to a doc would definitely not be my route to travel.
get yourself checked out. worry about the boards and updating people later. your health is SO important, you only have one chance at life.

Laguna6866

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Central New York
Good luck!

BUT - if you never got ANY of those symptoms checked out by a doctor (kinda stoopid, dontcha think?) you simply can not blame vaping for it! Plus, you don't even know yet if these symptoms are subsiding since you've stopped vaping....geez.

I've been vaping for almost a year now, and have had none of those symptoms. The only symptom I had was feeling a bit dehydrated at first before I knew what was causing it (PG), I have since raised my daily intake of water and feel fine.
Actually, I CAN and WILL blame vaping for it! It is no secret in the vaping community, that respiratory problems, and cramping DO happen to many vapers. I understand that many people dont seem to have any problems in their journeys up to this point...and i hope they dont.

I am simply telling MY story, and how it played out for ME...NOBODY ELSE!!

Is it stoopid (stupid) that i havent been checked out yet by a doctor? Not at all. This is my FIRST day not vaping, so "geez" no i havent been able to tell if these symptoms have subsided. If they dont subside after a week or so, then yes, i will go get checked out.

Believe me, ive tried every thing under the sun to prevent the cramping, breathing problems etc. More water, only PG, only VG, Mixed, you name it...ive tried it! I am a very active 37 year old male, in great shape for my age. I have never experienced anything like these symptoms until i began vaping.

If I never started smoking analongs in the first place, this could all have been avoided. In that respect, i blame myself.
I think its important that new vapers understand that ecigs are not by any stretch of the imagination, risk free! Until it is proven otherwise, PLEASE let people share their experiances, without judgement!!!!!

Thanks-

Last edited:

Sainted_S

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Nether Iceland of NWPA
I do agree with Laguna, as much as we all like vaping, it is an alternative to smoking. I'm sure we are putting ourselves at more risks than not smoking or vaping. However, there are many members that have commented that they had terrible respiratory problems that subsided with vaping, for those that have switched to ecigs and develop respiratory problems I would hope they can stop vaping without returning to analogs and that they consult a doctor.

Laguna's input is valuable, honesty in the industry is vital. If someone has a bad experience we should not just discount it, but analyze what it means to us and our personal choices. As consumers, we should be aware to any risks. The cigarette industry used to tout cigarettes as a way to lose weight and made various other health claims in the past, the cigarette industry also put a lid on or discounted health concerns. Now we have a society in which cigarettes have been ingrained and glamourized. We also have 80-90% of lung cancer deaths that can be attributed to analogs. Vaping is a new industry and I think we should have learned from analogs and not repeat those mistakes if vaping does carry risks.

Vaping is an effective alternative to analogs, I tried to quit analogs and it was one of the worst experiences of my life; anxiety attacks, waking up in the middle of the night with those nicotine dreams, vertigo and feeling like I was going to pass out because my lungs were actually getting enough air. Vaping made it possible for me to stop analogs without having all those previous symptoms. I have also experienced muscle pains, but increasing my water intake has cured that particular side effect of vaping. We cannot be blind to the fact that there may be risk with vaping, but if there is a choice between analogs and vaping I feel for myself that vaping is the more preferable risk at this time. I know I can't quit completely at this point, but I know I don't want to go back to analogs.

Last edited:

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
I do agree with Laguna, as much as we all like vaping, it is an alternative to smoking. I'm sure we are putting ourselves at more risks than not smoking or vaping. However, there are many members that have commented that they had terrible respiratory problems that subsided with vaping, for those that have switched to ecigs and develop respiratory problems I would hope they can stop vaping without returning to analogs and that they consult a doctor.

Laguna's input is valuable, honesty in the industry is vital. If someone has a bad experience we should not just discount it, but analyze what it means to us and our personal choices. As consumers, we should be aware to any risks. The cigarette industry used to tout cigarettes as a way to lose weight and made various other health claims in the past, the cigarette industry also put a lid on or discounted health concerns. Vaping is an effective alternative to analogs, I tried to quit analogs and it was one of the worst experiences of my life; anxiety attacks, waking up in the middle of the night with those nicotine dreams, vertigo and feeling like I was going to pass out because my lungs were actually getting enough air. Vaping made it possible for me to stop analogs without having all those previous symptoms. I have also experienced muscle pains, but increasing my water intake has cured that particular side effect of vaping. We cannot be blind to the fact that there may be risk with vaping, but if there is a choice between analogs and vaping I feel for myself that vaping is the more preferable risk at this time. I know I can't quit completely at this point, but I know I don't want to go back to analogs.l

Great post man.

Laguna6866

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Central New York

Laguna's input is valuable, honesty in the industry is vital. If someone has a bad experience we should not just discount it, but analyze what it means to us and our personal choices. As consumers, we should be aware to any risks. The cigarette industry used to tout cigarettes as a way to lose weight and made various other health claims in the past, the cigarette industry also put a lid on or discounted health concerns. Now we have a society in which cigarettes have been ingrained and glamourized. We also have 80-90% of lung cancer deaths can be attributed to analogs. Vaping is a new industry and I think we should have learned from analogs and not repeat those mistakes if vaping does carry risks.

Vaping is an effective alternative to analogs, I tried to quit analogs and it was one of the worst experiences of my life; anxiety attacks, waking up in the middle of the night with those nicotine dreams, vertigo and feeling like I was going to pass out because my lungs were actually getting enough air. Vaping made it possible for me to stop analogs without having all those previous symptoms. I have also experienced muscle pains, but increasing my water intake has cured that particular side effect of vaping. We cannot be blind to the fact that there may be risk with vaping, but if there is a choice between analogs and vaping I feel for myself that vaping is the more preferable risk at this time. I know I can't quit completely at this point, but I know I don't want to go back to analogs.l
I agree on the "great post" Thank you!

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Another thing to keep in mind is that e-cigs are not the only way to approach tobacco harm reduction. Go to the CASAA site or tobacco harm reduction organization to educate yourself on other alternatives. The CASAA endorses, besides e-cigs, both dissolvables and Swedish style snus. Both are low TSNA tobacco products with dramatically lower risk then smoking.

If you can quit that's the best thing, but after 4 decades of smoking I'm a hopeless case. Hopefully that will work out better for you.... but if it doesn't the choices are not just e-cigs or smoking. E-cigs didn't work for me as it does for many other people but Swedish snus did. Best thing by far is to try all the alternatives as the likelihood of one or some combination of products will get you and keep you off cigarettes.

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
In the last year, i have gone through FOUR inhalers, due to not being able to breath properly. I have never in my life needed one of those things until vaping. I am 37 years old! I was a 21 year, pack a day smoker. Looking back in hindsight, i felt much better when i was smoking analogs... let me explain:

Aside from the not being able to breath properly, i have experienced terrible muscle cramping, pain in my lower kidney area, as well as periodic hot flashes where my face feels like it is on fire! No, i havent gone to the doctor yet for the above.

Quick question: How do you have an inhaler if you've not been to see a doctor? If you're using an OTC inhaler, you do realize that the active ingredient is essentially speed (epinephrine) ... that could be the cause of your hot flashes.

The muscle cramping and lower back/kidney pain may well be from lack of hydration. Hot flashes can also be a sign of an endocrine imbalance or even of simple stress.

In no way am I implying that it is impossible that vaping is the culprit because I'm not a doctor and I don't know your system's baseline. But to be so sure with no medical input and only conjecture on which you're basing your conclusions seems a stretch to me, I guess. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck in the recession of your symptoms and your journey away from both smoking and vaping! And please take the advice that's been given and go see a doctor. As someone with a 'reactive airway' and a prescription inhaler (which I use much less now that I vape rather than smoke), breathing issues are nothing to be trifled with.

Jan

ThomasP

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2010
Western PA USA
Actually, I CAN and WILL blame vaping for it! It is no secret in the vaping community, that respiratory problems, and cramping DO happen to many vapers. I understand that many people dont seem to have any problems in their journeys up to this point...and i hope they dont.

I am simply telling MY story, and how it played out for ME...NOBODY ELSE!!

Is it stoopid (stupid) that i havent been checked out yet by a doctor? Not at all. This is my FIRST day not vaping, so "geez" no i havent been able to tell if these symptoms have subsided. If they dont subside after a week or so, then yes, i will go get checked out.

Believe me, ive tried every thing under the sun to prevent the cramping, breathing problems etc. More water, only PG, only VG, Mixed, you name it...ive tried it! I am a very active 37 year old male, in great shape for my age. I have never experienced anything like these symptoms until i began vaping.

If I never started smoking analongs in the first place, this could all have been avoided. In that respect, i blame myself.
I think its important that new vapers understand that ecigs are not by any stretch of the imagination, risk free! Until it is proven otherwise, PLEASE let people share their experiances, without judgement!!!!!

Thanks-

I suspect other issues besides the vaping but for your well being I hope the symptoms fade. I don't want to be a fear monger but your symptoms sound like you might have some cardio-vascular issues. I hope things turn out all right for you. In the mean time good luck with dropping the nicotine.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Quick question: How do you have an inhaler if you've not been to see a doctor? If you're using an OTC inhaler, you do realize that the active ingredient is essentially speed (epinephrine) ... that could be the cause of your hot flashes.

The muscle cramping and lower back/kidney pain may well be from lack of hydration. Hot flashes can also be a sign of an endocrine imbalance or even of simple stress.

In no way am I implying that it is impossible that vaping is the culprit because I'm not a doctor and I don't know your system's baseline. But to be so sure with no medical input and only conjecture on which you're basing your conclusions seems a stretch to me, I guess. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck in the recession of your symptoms and your journey away from both smoking and vaping! And please take the advice that's been given and go see a doctor. As someone with a 'reactive airway' and a prescription inhaler (which I use much less now that I vape rather than smoke), breathing issues are nothing to be trifled with.

Jan

I agree. When I was smoking cigarettes, I was constantly in chronic cramping pain. I couldn't do one thing without cramping up somewhere on my body. I was miserable!! That all stopped when I started vaping. I'm finally learning to live again for the first time in many decades!! Even the weather changes don't affect me as severely as they used to when a smoker. The only times I cramp now are when I'm dehydrated even just a little bit and as soon as I drink water, I'm fine again. With smoking, it was water, advil, and still not fine. Ever. I used to walk around like Steve Martin in Me and Irene (dang, can't remember the movie, hopefully that's the one.). My hands would go into the Star Trek salute if I dared lift a fork...

Please please please go see a DR!!!!! Your symptoms could be something else entirely than from what you guess. Get your heart checked first, poor circulation could be a sign of a closed artery or something seriously serious. Do not assume anything!!!! Take care of yourself!!!

(btw, congrats on quitting both analogs and vaping tho!!!)

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas

Jan

You know, I bolded this because I just read something interesting on another forum today talking about a woman having irregular periods since starting vaping:
The kind I was using had a high(er than normal) concentration of propylene glycol, which is a phthalate and phthalates are known to mess with your endocrine system.

Interesting that you brought up the endocrine system.

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
You know, I bolded this because I just read something interesting on another forum today talking about a woman having irregular periods since starting vaping:

According to the MSDS for PG, the only affect to the endocrine system is the potential for hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia (i.e. it can mess with blood sugar levels.)

Not sure how that could mess with the menstrual cycle ... but again I'm not a doctor.

In further thinking about the OP, I really think a trip to the doctor is in order ... from my 'arm chair' this could potentially be an adrenal cyst of some kind. That would explain the location of the pain and also the breathing issues and hot flashes (especially with the added epinephrine from an OTC inhaler).

Jan

Last edited:

The reason that phthalates (may) have an effect on the endocrine system is because of the carbon ring structures of the compounds that resemble steroid molecules. PG has no similar structural properties and I have never seen it classified as a phthalate with regards to this endocrine controversy or in any other context. Not saying that it cannot have any endocrine effects (have seen no evidence of that anywhere though) but the last thing we need is for PG to be caught up in that whole phthalate mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread